Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With 1804 Draped Bust Silver Dollar Authenticity

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2018  11:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BeautyOfIryl to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

So I just began my journey with coins this last year and I recently picked up this 1804 Silver Dollar from a gal who got it in a box at an auction. I honestly cannot tell if it is real or fake and I am conflicted even reading up on the coin due to some of the attributes. There are definitely things that look fake to me such as the stars not being as neat as I think they are suppose to be,. however, this coin is not magnetic at all and the weight is heavy at 37.3 .It is 4.5cm all the way around..I honestly cannot find any examples anywhere of these qualities
in this coin, so I am really hoping to get some input on here:)Thank you

Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2018  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you understand how much an 1804 bust dollar is worth? Your observations are correct. This is a counterfeit worth $1.50 as a novelty and to CCF!
Edited by MikeF
05/06/2018 11:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2018  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are some images of a genuine piece: http://www.PCGScoinfacts.com/coin/detail/6907

The differences with this one are clear: the date, lettering, eagle... well, everything. It is a very bad copy.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
8714 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a horrible counterfeit.

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1526 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So I just began my journey with coins this last year and I recently picked up this 1804 Silver Dollar from a gal who got it in a box at an auction.
I hope this experience doesn't sour you on coin collecting. It "looks" silver. Otherwise, trust your gut and ignore those $$$ signs dancing around your head. A 7-figure coin doesn't have legends that look like they were drawn with a crayon.
Valued Member
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add man2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No doubt it is Fake. Does it stick to a magnet?
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16083 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  03:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have an 1804 as well ! What a coincidence !

Mine is a dud too.
A real bargain; it cost me all of ONE DOLLAR to buy it.
It is only way I will ever get to own one.
The RCM does 20 for 20's. I did a 1 for 1 from my LCS.

Google Images:
'1804 silver Dollar',
to get an idea of genuine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3210 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake 1,000,000%.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42765 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Anyway -

to the CCF!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2432 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1804 dollar is one of the most famous US coins. Eric P Newman wrote a book about the coin. The 1804 dollar has an amazing history. I hope you did not pay too much for your counterfiet.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  10:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a perfect example of the "halo" toning used on modern counterfeits. Dark around the rim and bright n the center. Very eye catching, with the appearance of age.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Learn More...
United States
79171 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
7721 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, this is such a sad looking "example".
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Valued Member
United States
421 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.

It is a really BAD counterfeit. I hope you did not pay a lot for it
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I heard even the Chinese counterfeiters held their noses when they saw this.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4029 Posts
 Posted 05/07/2018  11:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lucky Cuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome.

I don't believe I've ever heard of or seen a bogus 1804 that was 45 mm in diameter. I'd consider this to be less of a forgery than a "replica" intended as a novelty item.

Colligo ergo sum
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.08 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05