Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Your 7070 Type Set Priorities and Strategies  

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cjartist to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't actually buy a 7070 album until I had many of the coins to fill it. I didn't even know there was a type album until I came here, it was seeing jbuck's album that made me realize how great it would look all together.

So my strategy wasn't 7070 specific. I go for eye appeal, which for me means even wear and light toning on lower to mid grade. If mint state is an option I'll usually go for it, but honestly an AU example often looks better to me than a high MS. I love the look of coins that have been used but cared for.

Also I didn't want to fill the cheaper holes with just anything. I was kinda proud that I'd already been really into commemorative coins and had favorites to add. Previously I'd been playing with album options for those, so I was happy to find a proper home for them. Even my modern commemorative had sentimental value.

And I fought with myself over adding some of my rainbow toned coins, and ended up doing so. Decided to make this as special as possible without breaking out of slabs anything too valuable.

The gold page was something I tried to hold off on, but it's really hard to see other people's collections and not imagine what could be. :) And I don't know if I'll have the money for it in the future, so I figured now was the time. It would have been easier to resist if I hadn't already collected a few of them.
My completed 7070 Album! :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3366 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Strategy:
1. Decide what my type set was going to include.
-- I decided earlier than 1965 (the silver/gold era).
2. Decide what coins were to be included.
-- I decided to use the NGC 1793-1964 type set definition. It has more coins than the 7070.
-- For instance for Standing Liberty quarters there are 3, not 2 (Type 1, Type 2/Variety 1, Type 2/Variety 2). [Look in your Red Book]
3. Decide the grade/cost.
-- Initially I said XF or better/less than $500.
-- That went out the window once I hit the 19th century. I tried to hold to XF but upped the cost to $1000.
-- It didn't take too long for that to be redefined. I tried go with the best grade for under $1000.
-- That finally wasn't possible so I went with the best I could afford.

Anyway I've got a nice set now only missing 4-6 coins from the 1790's.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14178 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No need to be envious of those who have a few gold coins.
I have always looked upon gold as just another coinage metal.

Perhaps you may be better off just concentrating on nice condition silver and bronze coins.
Numismatics is about the study of coins, and not about the value of what you have.
As it turns out we all respect each other equally, here in the CCF.
I like that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2007 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ariette, sel_69l, macmercury, jcook54, trdhrdr007, oih82w8, jbuck, OneBowl, Alpha2814, cjartist, kanga

All great opinions, options and feedback. I'm still digesting it all. It's nice to see/hear where I fall in the big scheme of things. I guess these albums ultimately come down to our personalities, (beauty in the eye of the beholder) and our budgets.

Like OneBowl said; "it's a type set, not a condition set" and "needs to impress nobody but myself" Can't argue with that.

cjartist- You mentioned commemoratives and you "love the look of coins that have been used but cared for." I found a proof Statue of Liberty Half in circulation. The proof luster is completely gone but the coin is in great shape, with no major hits. It looks like a business strike. It's not worth anything but it's a commemorative and looks good in the album. I also like it because it brings my avg. cost per. hole way down!

I'm just wondering (hoping), at some point will I say to myself: "It's Done", tuck it away somewhere and move on to the next project?!?!?

Edited by USSID18
05/16/2018 10:58 am
Learn More...
United States
55918 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2018  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm just wondering (hoping), at some point will I say to myself: "It's Done", tuck it away somewhere and move on to the next project?!?!?
Yes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
951 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I recently completed mine. I focused the most on the dime page. That page and the copper page were the hardest pages to find quality examples in my opinion. Seated quarters are also tough in slider grades. A lot of cleaned coins in slabs

Also, I made the mistake of wanting to do a circulated cameo set grades VF-XF. I bought an MS coin and it made the set look off. I wound up selling the lower grades and making my set AU-58-MS64.

Some people here have said it, but you should decide on the minimum grade you want your set to be as early as possible to avoid having to sell/upgrade. If your current financial situation only allows 1 MS coin a month, so be it. You'll be happier in 20 years with the highest grade set possible for yourself rather than being stuck with a lower grade set that was completed in a couple of months
Edited by Steelers72
05/19/2018 10:37 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3366 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If your current financial situation only allows 1 MS coin a month, so be it. You'll be happier in 20 years with the highest grade set possible for yourself rather than being stuck with a lower grade set that was completed in a couple of months

I totally agree.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3271 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I definitely agree with Steelers72 and kanga. No need to finish your set in a few months with damaged or low grade coins. Instead, buy one or two high-quality examples you can afford, say, every month or two. You'll be happier when you complete the set. Then you won't have to upgrade everything later on.
Collector of all classic US coinage.
Valued Member
United States
76 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  3:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wizardnyc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm making sure the coins of a certain type are of similar grade range and appearance. That way they look nice together. Ditto with adjacent types. Working on completing the quarter and half page.
Edited by Wizardnyc
05/19/2018 4:45 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2007 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Steelers72, kanga, SilverDollar2017, Wizardnyc- Your avatars would fit nicely in a 7070!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3036 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  8:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add acloco to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Buying the highest grade with eye appeal (and REASONABLE price) while trying to purchase the FIRST date in the series or LAST date.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2936 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did my set as a sort of procession with earlier coins being lower grades with later dates being higher grades. So my early copper may go from G/VG to F/VF in middle years to AU/MS in modern coinage. I just didnít see buying lower grade modern coins just to match the rest of the set when you could get high grade examples for just a little more.

Thereís many ways to assemble this set to fit to a particular budget.
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2018  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I kind of raced through mine, with the goal of finding what truly interested me after holding it in my hand (difficult to do so just from photos). So from that perspective, completing the 7070 was really never the goal so much as an early step in the journey.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05