Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2017 W ASE sold out....lowest mintage W

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar of the Community
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2018  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I gave them a call. I had put a note with my order not to ship it out until 6/27/18. Well, they set it aside not to be shipped, but didn't put it back with the stuff to be shipped on 6/27. The guy I spoke with apologized and said that it will go out today. No worries so long as I don't get Foxwood's rejects. :)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  4:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I received my 10 2017-W ASE's. It's quite obvious that these ASE's have been previously examined by someone else. Nine out of ten of the plastic capsule holders inside the boxes were dented as shown in the picture below.

I've never received one directly from the mint like this, so I'm pretty confident that someone pressed this area in while removing the capsuled coin. Five of the capsules had the blue velvet inside them (from the opposite side of the shown part of the capsule holder). Six had rub marks on the inside of the capsules. I was able to open the capsules and blow the velvet out. The rub marks on the inside of the capsules obviously can't be fixed. Eight of ten coins have no issues. Two I would have returned if received directly from the mint. One has a spot of crud on it and the other has a tiny milk spot on it.

I can think of three theories to explain these ASE's. The first is that they were examined before being sent in to a 3rd party grading service and rejected as unsuitable. The second is that they were examined by a 3rd party grading service and put back in the OGP because they did not make the specified grade. The third is that they were returns to the mint that were examined and resold. My gut tells me that it's one of the first two, but I really have no way to know.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
11126 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2018  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The second is that they were examined by a 3rd party grading service and put back in the OGP because they did not make the specified grade.

That's the most likely. Most places won't presort massive ASE bulk submissions, they'll just put a minimum grade and have a truck load delivered type thing
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4302 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  07:16 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Liberty received my returns last Friday...not a word from them since. I will contact them today
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Nine out of ten of the plastic capsule holders inside the boxes were dented

Just checked the four I got from Liberty and all dented as well. Never even occurred to me to check underneath the holder although I always just assume if you're buying from anyone else besides the mint they've probably been cherry-picked.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Two I would have returned if received directly from the mint. One has a spot of crud on it and the other has a tiny milk spot on it

Should contact them about returning these. At least an exchange for some that are clean.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2254 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As of today, eBay has these for around $40, and a major dealer is selling for $44.99 Do you think these are coins that were sent to TPG and didn't make the grade and put back in the OGP? 200,000 these days does not seem all that low especially when compared to uncirculated 2018 gold double eagle with a mintage of 10,000 or the 2000 bi-metallic unc coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2018  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
30,125 seems like a good quantity to me as well, but the 1995-W Proof ASE has that mintage and sells for around $3,000. It's all about the supply and demand for the series.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4302 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  06:43 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few things:

..you can't compare the mintage of a burnished ASE with a gold, bi-metalic, proof or even bullion product. You have to compare the numbers with other burnished ASE's

..it is not a $3000 coin. It will probably sell at a small premium over others with a higher mintage...until the next year comes in with a lower number

..I contacted Liberty Coin about the no response for a week and they refunded my cash the same day. Probably the best result
Pillar of the Community
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2018  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't making the point that the 17-W burnished is a $3000 coin. I was giving the most extreme example that I could think of to illustrate that you can't just compare mintages (supply) when speculating on potential future value. You must also take the popularity (demand) of the series in to account.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8805 Posts
 Posted 07/16/2018  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took my weekly stroll by JMB and they're selling for $39.95, any quantity.
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2018  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jmb now sellin em at $49.95, but I see APMEX has em listed at $44.99..

anyone find any currently for sale at lower price?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4302 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  07:22 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1) Depends if you get free shipping from APMEX or JMB by buying enough

2) try to bid for one on eBay, The last one went nowhere and sold at a ridiculous price...the one before that only a few bucks more

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-W-Ame...AOSw0NtbUSPq

..AND the above had free shipping
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Landude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright you got me hooked soooooooo
Yeah, poor pic sorry.
Learn More...
United States
63480 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2018  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Alright you got me hooked soooooooo
Yeah, poor pic sorry.
Very nice!
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.96 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05