Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What do you think about buying full sets?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1771 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  04:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought many partial & full sets on eBay cheap (lots of silver below melt). Got my 32D & S quarters & 21 & 21D Mercs below melt. Got my 14D & 31S Lincolns for better than free after I flipped the rest of the folder. Picked up a like new Dansco Buffalo nickel album nearly full that had most early dates including a 13S Type 2 in G4 or G6 (mixed opinions from members here) for $100. Sometimes you can grab a deal buying sets or partials. Even if you aren't happy with all the coins, you can flip them to fund future purchases!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1351 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To me, buying a full set takes the fun out of collecting. It would be as if I had paid someone to collect all the coins for me. So for me, it wouldn't be my collection.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1721 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Full sets don’t interest me, based on two experiences with dealers. The first had amassed a full set of Seated halves over several years. Once he finished he lost interest and sold them. The other was a dealer who had purchased a full circulated set of Morgans (no 1895). He had no interest in them at all. The next time I saw him he had traded them for 20 krugerrands.

Focus on the keys and forget the rest IMO. Once you have one get another one in better condition to add to your hoard. The best coin on any given day may be one you already have.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
07/08/2018 10:09 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3002 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2018  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have never started a high grade Lincoln set if I had started with the key dates. I just incrementally started upgrading going backwards from the later dates until I got to the point where I said “might as well try to finish it out”.
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To me, buying a full set takes the fun out of collecting.
Unless, of course, you are collecting sets.

Quote:
I would have never started a high grade Lincoln set if I had started with the key dates. I just incrementally started upgrading going backwards from the later dates until I got to the point where I said “might as well try to finish it out”.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1351 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  3:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Unless, of course, you are collecting sets.

Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For the record I am collecting sets, but only ones created by jbuck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1721 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I’vw been pecking away at a set of pre 1860 San Francisco coins for 25 years but will never finish it. The easy coins are the double eagles....I’ll leave them until after I get that 1854-S half eagle.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Pillar of the Community
United States
2498 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Darth Morgan's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Darth Morgan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
To me, buying a full set takes the fun out of collecting. It would be as if I had paid someone to collect all the coins for me. So for me, it wouldn't be my collection.

Totally agree. Any such set would be an "imposter."

However, if you could get one for an insanely low price, then why not? Still, there would be no real joy in this for me- only the thrill of a score. That doesn't last long for me either. The joy of assembling my own set is long term.
My Eisenhower dollar Complete Variety Set, Circulation Strikes and Proof (PCGS Registry) - https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/do...edset/119137
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7810 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2018  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I purchased partial sets, I did so more in the spirit of @ratman4762. I get them and essentially dismantle them, use what I need and get rid of the rest the best way possible.
"Baseball gets you out in the fresh air and keeps you from talking about your neighbors."
-Lib Dooley

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Pillar of the Community
United States
1153 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2018  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Steelers72 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like others say, part of the thrill is putting together sets yourself. I think the type set 7070 album is something every collector should do on his/her own for that reason.

However, I find purchasing sets like the Lincoln cents, Washington quarters, jeffersons etc to be useful if you just want to have a date set regardless of the specific qualities of each coin. Some collectors want every coin to be a minimum grade or color/toning - that is when set buying goes out the window
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16918 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll just stick to making my own sets. It is a hobby and that is part of it. Just to buy a completed set sort of takes the hobby out of it. Finding that one or two last ones to complete a set sure is maddening but that is part of it being a hobby.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
5399 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have purchased one set as a whole, bullion American Silver Eagles. I had collected the proofs and decided to add the others to my holdings. Now I just add the new years to my silver eagles. The goal was to have one of each and the set was a easy fix but I do not see any other "set" that I would buy as a whole.
Learn More...
United States
60204 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2018  11:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Muddler, you do not really buy a whole set, you just expanded your existing set in one large swoop.
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2018  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mendelman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About five years ago, I purchased a complete Buffalo nickel set (clean G-F avg grades) for $199+tax at a pawn shop. It was a great deal and I simply dismantled the set keeping upgrades for my existing almost complete set.

I also purchased a complete 16-36 Walking Liberty half set from the same pawn shop a year before for $400+tax. I dismantled that one too and flipped it three days later for a 70% profit.

In my early years (12-14 yrs old) of collecting I purchased a complete Roosevelt dime set and help onto that for a long time...actually until 2011 when I sold all the coins for silver value and made 4 times what I originally spent.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05