Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1881 CC Morgan & 1893 CC Morgan

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  02:11 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rufuss7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A friend was needing some extra cash and was looking to sell these. I'm no collector so I was curious if anyone could advise whether or not they're worth investing!
Appreciate it!

Pillar of the Community
United States
1604 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  02:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely not, they both look fake.
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rufuss7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had considered that and even looked into some counterfeits. But these seem to look real. There's just something that has me a tad apprehensive. He claims that the coin shop wasn't interested due to already having too many. #129300;I find this difficult to believe after looking at the estimated values.
I'm on the fence... part of me says it's a solid investment while the other says I'm an idiot!
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  03:02 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not sure, but I am leaning to the fake side. The mintmarks are in an odd font. And these coins would be Very valuable if real.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  05:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rufuss7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the both of ya. I've been lookin at examples of real and fake for the last 5-6 hours. I don't see anything "off" about them. The fonts seem to be correct and the placement as well. They're not magnetic and they weigh 26.3 & 26.5. Could ya'll elaborate a bit.
The way this will play out... I decide to pass it up they'll be real but if I decide to gamble on it.. they'll either be fake or once again miss out on the opportunity!
Learn More...
United States
14163 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  05:54 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Side by side comparison:
Your 1881-CC on the left (1st), mine on the right (2nd)
The date and mintmark stand out as different to me.

<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rufuss7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reckon the lighting has something to do with it? This one looks different from yours
Learn More...
United States
23080 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  07:24 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
part of me says it's a solid investment while the other says I'm an idiot!
This makes it sound like you went ahead and bought them.

What did your buddy want for them?
Learn More...
United States
23080 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  07:52 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
click image for larger view

Some concerns:
1) lack of rim
2) uneven letter bottoms
3) odd weak strike (repeated on reverse)

also, coin shop being "not interested". Do you know which coin shop? Maybe they would remember your friend and why they rejected the coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These coins are 100% known CC counterfeits. Look at the left side of the eagle breast both coins have the same angled scratch. On the reverse look at the upper part next to the left side of the D under the CC both coins have a circular cast bubble.
Edited by Slider23
11/22/2018 09:19 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NSS 52 - good work on on calling these counterfeits without knowing the die markings of these CC counterfeits.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2005 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thq to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try to curb your enthusiasm and be realistic. Look at the toning and compare with counterfeits. That's what strikes me before looking at any details. Even if the coins were real, it would take some good toothbrush and Bon Ami work to get that look.
"Two minutes ago I would have sold my chances for a tired dime." Fred Astaire
Edited by thq
11/22/2018 08:59 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15985 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On the reverse look at the upper part next to the left side of the D both coins have a circular cast bubble.

They also have the same raised dot by the outer berry between the star and O of ONE.

So same mintmark placement, same scratch, same two raised dots, both coins came from the same reverse die. Not really possible on two genuine coins struck 12 years apart, so one HAS to be fake. And since one HAS to be fake and they were both struck from the same rev die, the other is fake as well.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
240 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmwilson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
*** Edited by Staff - Are You kidding me? We go out of our way to BAN something and you think it's ok to keep trying until you get around the ban?

You got this EXACT error message FOUR times....

Did you think we were kidding?***
Pillar of the Community
Canada
573 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice call Slider23, When I first compared them to the real one the date just didn't look crisp / sharp enough, nor did the Mint Mark.
Rufuss7, don't purchase them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2429 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have only seen this counterfeit reverse die used on CC dates. The Chinese counterfeiter used a genuine example to make the fakes with the breast scratch and mint mark, so most likely somewhere out there is a genuine example with the scratch and same mint mark.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05