Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1925 Buffalo Nickel Wrong Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  9:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numidan to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a 1925 Buffalo nickel minted on a what I think is a copper planchet.

It weighs 4.87g, diameter = 20.8mm, and thickness = 1.9mm

Side by side with a 1926 Buffalo nickel

Learn More...
United States
14867 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@numidan, since it appears to be the correct size and weight, is it possible that either there is environmental toning/chemcial exposure which has caused the copper color or even a post-mint copper-plating?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numidan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing is for sure until I have it analyzed by a XRF tester!

But it looks just right. Click on the first picture, and you will see black oxide on the surface similar to the accumulation on pennies in those days.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44961 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Insignificant chance this could be struck on a copper planchet. Where would this perfectly-sized blank have come from?
Edited by Coinfrog
11/22/2018 10:10 pm
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2018  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numidan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The closes I found with the right composition in that period is:

Nicaragua 1924 1 Centavo 95% copper, 5% zinc & tin, 4.0g, 20.3mm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
32057 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  05:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a note,there are known copper buffs errors http://coinfacts.com/nickels/buffal...n_copper.htm Not saying yours is one though.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Edited by John1
11/23/2018 05:52 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12715 Posts
 Posted 11/23/2018  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Environmental discoloring on that coin . I have seen Buffalo nickels with many different colors .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2018  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinquest1961 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with T_BOP's assessment above-environmental damage. I, too, have seen a number of Buffs with that type of discoloration.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2548 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mycrob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I lean heavily towards environmental damage leading to a change in the patina.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19120 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2018  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1158 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2018  10:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A specific gravity test would be definitive. Specific gravity of a .95 CU .05 Zn cent is 8.80 and the specific gravity of a .75 Cu .25 Ni five cent is 8.95. The closeness of the numbers necessitates a good scale and multiple measurements.
Valued Member
Canada
114 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numidan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP was kind to test it with his XRF analyzer. Thank you SPP!

Here is the result:

Cu: 80.95%
Ni: 18.56%
Fe: 0.12%

Most likely within the tolerance of the mint's metal composition :(
Learn More...
United States
14867 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2019  4:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
:(

Ok bummer, but it is really nice of you to follow up by posting your results!
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05