Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Protect Your Collection?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
303 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  12:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Folks collect for a number of reasons... some for enjoyment, some for history, some for investment... Regardless of the reason, most on this forum will have a portion of their net worth tied up in various collections.

There are those that have a home office or home safe; there are those that use bank safety deposit boxes, some have insurance... All of that said, the hope is that you don't suffer a loss.

Discounting theft or other forms of civil unrest, how do you protect your collection. Having just seen another tragic fire season in California and some catastrophic hurricanes combined with the omni-present risk of tornadoes in certain locations your collection is at risk of damage or destruction due to a significant local event.

What do you do when the authorities knock on your door and give you 5-15 minutes to evacuate... Is your collection in the list of material possessions you would stuff into the trunk of your car?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5176 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  2:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The most valuable coins are all in various safety deposit boxes, in three different bank vaults, in two different towns.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3844 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If my life was in danger and I had to bug out quickly - my family each would grab our bug out bags and go. There are other items well up my list to grab over the few coins I keep in my home if the poo hit the fan. Material possessions can be replaced.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Pillar of the Community
United States
2504 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By keeping my mouth shut.
Pillar of the Community
United States
709 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I let the pit bull have the run of the house when I'm not home.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
15443 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never had anything stolen from any house I have lived in during the whole of my life (over 70 years).

Nevertheless I was in Europe for 3 months recently, and so I left all of my most valuable coins with a next door neighbor. He has quite a lot of valuable items things such as high powered bikes and cars, and even two working (but transportable) electron microscopes. He has never had anything stolen from his house in 40 years, either.

I do have a very small safe with only the most valuable coins stored in it. My father made it out of 1/4 plate steel, it has 90 kg of lead in it, and is bolted internally to the floor. It has a nondescript corrugated cardboard box covering it, to hide it.

About 95% of my collection (about 4,500 coins), does not have any security storage at all. It is a working collection, which I refer to daily, and it would be very inconvenient to have them under security storage. None of my numismatic library of about 200 references is under security storage, either.

I find it a bit mystifying and disappointing as to why a lot of the rest the World otherwise has a need to be so corrupt or dishonest.
That is why I never do on line financial transactions, and have never had a credit card.
I use bank secure systems to do significant financial transactions for me, which is very rarely. I pay all utility bills in cash at the post office.

Edited by sel_69l
12/07/2018 7:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4075 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably something you don't see much of in Canada or Australia.

Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1492 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see more answers to the actual question the OP asked:

"Discounting theft or other forms of civil unrest... What do you do when the authorities knock on your door and give you 5-15 minutes to evacuate... Is your collection in the list of material possessions you would stuff into the trunk of your car?"

Guns and dogs don't help here.
Working on: Peace dollars (two to go), US type (early Bust era), Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens.

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm safety deposit box guy. But in the rare instances where I have to transport my coins to shows or other places, I transform into a Sig Sauer guy.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5941 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am thankful I do not, and never have lived in an area where authorities have a legit excuse to impose an alleged mandatory evacuation (hurricanes, fires, etc). I say "alleged" b/c (although I would likely be smart and evacuate if it was suggested) I have read online where mandatory evacuations in the US cannot be enforced from several standpoints including lack of personnel to enforce it during such an event like a hurricane, wild fires etc.

With that out of the way, I am left with saying a safe deposit box houses anything of real value, and for what things I currently am working on that are home, my house is occupied 365 24/7. My friends Winchester, Remington, Stevens, Marlin, Ithica, Sear & Roebuck (believe it or not!), Smith & Wesson, and High Point are always handy...with one being especially so.

Of course the large dog might help also.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
744 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2018  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ty88ty2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
"Discounting theft or other forms of civil unrest... What do you do when the authorities knock on your door and give you 5-15 minutes to evacuate... Is your collection in the list of material possessions you would stuff into the trunk of your car?"

Sitting here now, I would say yes, what I have on hand might get stuffed in the car if a worst case scenario happened. In the heat of the moment, I don't know if I would think of it however.
Lincoln Cents - 2 holes; 1909SVDB/1914D / Indian Head cents - 14 Holes / Jefferson nickels - Done / Buffalo nickels - 10 Holes / V nickels - 6 holes / Shield nickels - 5 Holes / Roosevelt dimes - Done / Mercury dimes - 2 Holes; 1916D/1921P / Washington quarters - 8 holes / Standing Liberty quarters - 10 Holes / Barber quarters - 34 Holes / Kennedy halves - 7 Holes / Walking Liberty halves - 30 Holes / Franklin halves - 18 Holes
Other works in progress - 7070 / Canadian Cents / Canadian Nickels / SBA & SAC Dollars / Pres Dollars
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18060 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  07:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The most valuable coins are all in various safety deposit boxes, in three different bank vaults

Exact same for me.
just carl
Valued Member
Canada
303 Posts
 Posted 12/08/2018  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for the insight. I was hoping to get into a discussion of the "bug out bag" rather than a response to theft. Whether Rottweiler, Glock or the like they are insignificant when faced with a rising river, tidal surge or forest fire.

@Earle42
Quote:
I do not, and never have lived in an area where authorities have a legit excuse to impose an alleged mandatory evacuation

You are fortunate... A couple of years ago we were within 15 minutes of getting a "leave now" order due to a close fire. Fortunately it was small and it was early enough in the year that the forest was still wet enough that it did not develop quickly and the firefighters were able to knock it down before it endangered any lives or property... BTW, it is my experience when someone knocks on the door and there is a red glow behind them, you tend not to question the legitimacy or legality of their evacuation order.

With more urban dwellers living in the path of fire, flood, weather or earthquake. I was wondering if your collection is in a location to survive a catastrophic event. The reason for the question is not just the enjoyment of the hobby but the fact that many long term collectors have a fair amount tied up in their collections... at least if threads related to inheritance (to or from) are to be noted. Other forms of net worth are protected in other forms... Real Estate can be insured, Stocks, bonds, and other investments can be stored by brokerage accounts and backed up by myriad electronic representations but that MS-63 1948 Silver Dollar is a fixed and tangible item. When destroyed... it is gone and most insurance does not cover coin collections.

At one point, I would have said that a bank safety deposit box would have been suffice but seeing what Katrina did to New Orleans or what the fires did to Paradise, CA I have to wonder if even these options are safe.

Of course, in the face of any imminent disaster, the safety and security of loved ones and neighbours is paramount, quickly followed by pets or livestock; Things while a source of enjoyment are quite far down the list of priorities. That said, at some point when all other priorities are addressed, your collection gets some attention. Personally, I keep my higher value items in the same place and could move them to the trunk of the car in minutes. Loading all of my collection would take too long and may jeopardize life and limb... an unacceptable trade off.

I am not sure whether it is possible to construct a safe that is both sufficiently fire resistant and water resistant that will allow a forest fire or flood to occur without damaging the contents and still have a sufficiently hospitable environment that silver and copper would not suffer toning or other oxidization effects. Remember slabbed coins (ICCS soft slabs are probably worse) will melt if exposed to too high a heat...

Any suggestions... other than to only worry about what you can control

Bedrock of the Community
United States
18060 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live in a high crime rate area. We don't have massive fires. no hurricanes, hardly ever any kind of Earth quake, an occasional tornado, never any flooding, not even hits from Meteors. Just lots of crime. Never had any calls for evacuations. So people around me just don't worry about same things as others however, it appears we all have something to worry about with our valuables. With me I mainly worry about no one to leave it all to. Not even a relative living near me to grab it all in case something happens to me. I have always thought my entire collection would simply end up in a banks dumping place for coins. Imagine someone opening a roll of coins from a bank and finding all FSB Mercury dimes. As far as protecting it all, mostly the expensive stuff is in safe deposit boxes. Yest if no one in the future claims them, more just stuff a bank has to get rid of.
Things like this have lately made me think of going to a coin show and selling every thing for almost face value just to not have to worry anymore.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
4075 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I live in a high crime rate area. We don't have massive fires. no hurricanes, hardly ever any kind of Earth quake, an occasional tornado, never any flooding, not even hits from Meteors. Just lots of crime. Never had any calls for evacuations. So people around me just don't worry about same things as others however, it appears we all have something to worry about with our valuables. With me I mainly worry about no one to leave it all to. Not even a relative living near me to grab it all in case something happens to me. I have always thought my entire collection would simply end up in a banks dumping place for coins. Imagine someone opening a roll of coins from a bank and finding all FSB Mercury dimes. As far as protecting it all, mostly the expensive stuff is in safe deposit boxes. Yest if no one in the future claims them, more just stuff a bank has to get rid of. Things like this have lately made me think of going to a coin show and selling every thing for almost face value just to not have to worry anymore.

Thanks for articulating (with the exception of no tornado's) my exact thoughts and situation. I misunderstood the gist of this thread. I would never anticipate authorities knocking on my door and give you 5-15 minutes to evacuate.

My greatest fear; home invasion or robbery. Welcome to New York. Back to the original question: How do I protect my collection? Dog, home alarm, handgun, a five foot gun safe for the coins. Not necessarily that order.
Proud member of the Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory Of Those Members Who Left Us Too Soon.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
4151 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2018  11:20 am  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My friends Winchester, Remington, Stevens, Marlin, Ithica, Sear & Roebuck (believe it or not!), Smith & Wesson, and High Point are always handy...with one being especially so.

High Point? Come on now...
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq...ukyxurAHKuRg
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05