Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Doubling Challenge - 1967 1-cent

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
Canada
8677 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2019  11:52 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Poll Question
So, here is a fun little exercise, we know that there is already one doubled die obverse for the 1967 cent:
http://goccf.com/t/302977#2590792

So, I offer up this example.

Poll Choices
  Extreme die deterioration doubling only
  Die deterioration doubling plus Machine Doubling
  Machine Doubling only
  Doubled die
  Doubled die plus Machine Doubling
  Doubled die plus die deterioration doubling
  Doubled die, Machine Doubling and die deterioration doubling altogether

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lot's of votes, but no comments yet.

I think it's all three types of doubling, but I notice I'm in the minority here.

I will be interested to hear the error expert's opinions and explanations on this coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1514 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another less-than-expert opinion. I agree with Phil310 that all three types are present. DDD showing up on the "beads", looks like true doubling on the "B" and several other instances of MD. I'm anxious to see what the experts say as well. Interesting specimen!

Edit: I suppose most of this could be explained by a combination of MD and a slight rotation of the coin during the "bounce"?
Edited by Bump111
02/04/2019 1:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
953 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  5:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Canacoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As above I also think its the " trifecta " .
Nice coin.
Valued Member
Canada
428 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2019  9:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pginrh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm also in for the full three.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1707 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2019  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add koinpro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see Die Deterioration Doubling of the sort seen on coins struck with chromium plated dies that are heavily worn. I In the areas where the chromium plating has been removed through die wear and die abrasion the degree of die deterioration becomes greatly accelerated beyond that in other areas of the die that are still protected by the chromium. This is a very typical result on a Canadian coin struck with dies for an extended period of time. Exceedingly common for 1967 (and 1979 too). I see no other forms of doubling on this coin.
Valued Member
Canada
494 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

SPP I just found this one roll searching the other day. The A shows the die at the end of its life. Good to compare these 2 coins in different stages. I had to share this. Nice to here from you again Koinpro!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1823 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  08:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see a doubled die, die deterioration doubling, and Machine Doubling.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chadcoins, can you post pictures of the ZAB of your coin for comparison?
Valued Member
Canada
494 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

ELIZABETH [ZAB] looks normal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
727 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Phil310 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Chadcoins for posting that photo. The ZAB on SPP's coin is the part that looks like die doubling to me. I was wondering if your coin showed that also.
Valued Member
Canada
494 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chadcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPPs coin - Die deterioration,machine doubling [die chatter]
Learn More...
Canada
8677 Posts
 Posted 02/06/2019  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had asked Ken and Mike to weigh in on this one, before I responded.

Die deterioration doubling is an obvious one. The narrowing of the devices and step-like doubling is also indicative of Machine Doubling...

However the "notching" I see on the Z I think is an apparent effect of the excessive die deterioration doubling (the doubled 962) of the 1962 1-cent and 5-cent come to mind. So to me - this coin has two doubling types, but it never started its life out as a doubled die.

Frankly, I think the entire Canadian decimal series is under-studied for doubled dies, but I hope this thread prompts folks to take a closer look at the post-Vicky era of Canadian coins.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
 Posted 02/07/2019  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freeqgirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see all three. The Machine Doubling and the die deterioration is obvious (IMHO), but there is obvious doubling as well (split serifs, ie: Z in ELIZABETH) Nice find!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05