Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1865 3 Cent Piece DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  5:47 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Valued Member
United States
293 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Check collectinsince65's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add collectinsince65 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I see what you are referring to in the fields both obverse and reverse it appears to be a clashed die. very nice
Pillar of the Community
United States
4525 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die clash for sure.
They always grab my attention.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 02/01/2019  9:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The die clash for sure, but what about the doubling in "AMERICA"?
Valued Member
United States
118 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2019  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ItchyN to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The doubling on America looks like Strike Doubling to me. Not a doubled die.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16315 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2019  08:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the doubling is Machine Doubling. AS for the die clash I see at least two possibly three sets of clashmarks..
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2019  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Machine Doubling. I was looking for Longacre doubling but not in this case.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2518 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TreasHunt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
heavy die clash, and nope, not a Doubled Die
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2019  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 70Shark to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, heavy die clash.
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2019  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So what's the difference between the doubling evident on my example (above) and the doubling evident on this coin:

This one is pulled straight from the PCGS website where it's a recognized variety.

H
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16315 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the PCGS pictures aren't very good, but frankly that looks like Machine Doubling as well. And it also possible that PCGS has blown the variety attribution as well. Just because the TPG says it is some variety doesn't mean it is right. We have seen a lot of misattributions in slabs.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
7192 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Condor101 in these PCGS photos the coin doesn't look like a DDO, but on the coin on the PCGS site, directly with the magnifier turned on going over the obverse the coin does indeed appear to be a DDO, just a minor one though. You can see it best on the AMERICA lettering.

https://www.PCGS.com/coinfacts/coin...-003-5/38300

Wonderful multiple struck die clashes though. Look really carefully at the serif on the C in AMERICA you can see complete separation of the top of the C on the PCGS example, where HGK3's coin does appear to resemble Machine Doubling.

Can't say conclusively from the photos, I would need to see coin in hand, as the the contrast of the B&W photos just isn't good enough to see the depth of the doubling.

My .03 cents!
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
02/15/2019 6:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HGK3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new to these coins, so I'm learning. Please bear with me.

I agree that in general the doubling has that flat, shelf like appearance typically associated with Machine Doubling.

However, I've read one of the hallmarks of MD is that it reduces the size of the device. If you look at the first A in America there doesn't appear to be any doubling and the vertical element on the left doesn't appear any larger than the same vertical element on the last A in America, which clearly is doubled.

While the clashing is nice, I understand that it was so common it doesn't really add much premium. Somewhere I read that non clashed varieties are actually hard to find for some dates.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2019  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which variety did PCGS attribute that one too? My gut still says MD but I would like to compare it to other known instances of that variety.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1538 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2019  02:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Check here - https://archive.org/details/guideus...rd/page/n46. There's 70 pages of 1865 varieties. Double, triple, quadruple die clashes, Longacre doubling, etc. Yours also seems to have something in U, O, and first A in America.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05