Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

George Cook Collection Coming Up For Sale

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Learn More...
Canada
8560 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2019  10:41 pm Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was sad to read this, I had met George Cook and enjoyed a beer with him once at a Torex show, when it was held at the Airport Hilton... I did not know that he had passed.

George said at that time he was going to donate his collection to the Currency Museum... so this news somewhat struck me as a surprise.

https://coins.ha.com/heritage-aucti...ns.s?id=5617

I am curious to know if these rarities will remain on Canadian soil or not.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2239 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2019  12:12 am  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I read the info in the link... wow...

Should be an interesting auction.

I have to wonder though, how many more stunning, elite, or just plain unbelievable collections will be coming to market in the next 10 years or so...
the generation that is holding the lion's share of the top shelf/and bulk of coins is quickly fading. good for the hobby, sad for the families.

Edited by Wade
03/07/2019 12:13 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2671 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2019  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely an impressive collection, and quite a few levels beyond my own. According to the notice, the main part will be auctioned Aug. 13-17 at the ANA in Chicago, the rest by Heritage in September.

Valued Member
Canada
348 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2019  11:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It will be very interesting to see what the 1911 silver dollar and the 1936 dot 1 cent and 10 cents go for. I'm looking forward to seeing the catalog. Unfortunately not in my budget to bid on any though.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
827 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2019  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What an incredible collection, and the backstory is even more amazing. Thank you for posting the link. Cook's collection is the equivalent of the Louis Eliasberg collection of United States coins. Neither feat will ever be approached again.
Valued Member
Taiwan
298 Posts
 Posted 03/07/2019  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Everest to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
" Neither feat will ever be approached again "

Never say never. I recall similar statements after the Norweb sale of Canadian coins. Then along came Sid & Alicia Belzberg and now George Cook. As improbable as it seems it will probably happen again. If you have a chance to make it to Chicago to view the coins by all means go. I was fortunate enough to spend a few hours over a couple of days viewing the auction lots at the Norweb sale in Baltimore and then again at the Belzberg sale in NYC. Just a wonderful experience to view and handle the best of the best. Be sure and obtain a catalog for your numismatic library.
Valued Member
Canada
105 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Check ainsivalavie's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ainsivalavie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great collection!

I don't know if this is also the case for Canadian decimal coins, but for colonial tokens, I have the impression that half of the top 10 collection sales over the past century have taken place over the past decade.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
677 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tripoli to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If anyone does make it to Chicago for the auction, be sure to check out the Federal Reseerve Bank's Money Museum....downtown, easy to find
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 03/08/2019  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grahamp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The nice stuff is out of my budget, but I am curious how it works when a Canadian collection is auctioned in the US. Do you have to pay GST+PST coming back into Canada? If that is the case you are probably better to leave in a Safety Deposit Box in the US especially if it is a 200,000-300,000 coin. Are there any special reporting requirements for this kind of thing?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3052 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
GST PST ? Yes you do have to pay if you import them to Canada.
Leaving it in a US safety deposit box at any level over 100000 Canadian
Has to be reported as well . Foreign held assets must be reported on your annual
CRA filing if at any time during a calendar year the amount exceeds 100K CAD.
Chances are with things the way they are MOST of Cooks collection will stay in the USA .
Will be interesting to see who buys the stuff!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4340 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2019  1:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The other interesting fact regarding this sale is if there are a reserve or not, regarding taxes and other fees on Heritage after a couple items purchased at recent FUN sale you can add around 70% to winning price to land in Ontario
Edited by john100
03/14/2019 2:01 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
814 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the Heritage photos and judge for yourselves, but IMHO buyer beware.
Learn More...
Canada
8560 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2019  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Look at the Heritage photos and judge for yourselves, but IMHO buyer beware.

"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
348 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2019  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I was serious about bidding on any of this stuff, I'd call up an accountant who specializes in cross-border taxes to try and minimize them.
Canada
22 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2019  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sid Belzberg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was very saddened to learn of the passing of George Cook who purchased some key rarities from our collection including the famous 1911 dollar.
The history of the 1911 dollar always fascinated me. The 1911 Silver dollar fell victim to the politics of the day in 1911. Sir Wilfred Laurier's government had just signed a free trade agreement with the United States that was considered a very anti-monarchy course of action by the opposition led by Robert Borden (subsequently he was elected Prime Minister). To put the times of the day in 1911 in context the grandparents of the ruling generation of 1911 may well have fought in the brief but brutal war against the newly independent then radical United States in 1812. So support of the Monarchy and the United States were still a very passionate issue for many at the time.
Laurier's minister of finance William Fielding went as far as to have "Dei Gratia" removed as an inscription from 1911 coinage not wanting to acknowledge that George V was there by the "Grace of God". He likely viewed a lead sample of the 1911 silver dollar (found in an Ottawa govt supply room in 1977) and instead of having The Royal Mint in England redo the obverse die he simply decided not to put the coin in production. Instead the lower denominations remained "Godless" that year where the dies were likely redone locally.
Edited by Sid Belzberg
03/30/2019 11:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4340 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2019  1:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just have to ask, almost sure this 1911 dollar has been cleaned, any comments on this aspic ?
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05