Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2019 Proof Set With W Cent

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
432 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  5:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TSOTL to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, gonna get one?

Are these gonna be a thing or just another gimmick? Any opinions?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3308 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2019  5:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been getting proof sets going back to 1999, so yes, already have mine. I think the 2019 W penny isn't going to be anything particularly special or valuable unless you maybe get a super high grade one. Proof sets as a general rule don't really appreciate in value and I think the 2019 W penny will be the same.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18151 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2019  06:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a Mint gimmick.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 05/05/2019  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2019 Lincoln Cent is not the only coin bearing the W mint mark. That honor would fall upon the 1996w Roosevelt, like the Lincoln, available only in a mint set (no proof versions). So I feel safe in saying the same, a passing phase. The Roosevelt sold for unrealistic amounts for the first few years and so also will the 2019w Lincoln. I have seen these listed in dealer ads for $15.95 each.
Learn More...
United States
73473 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To be clear, several coins have had the W mint mark over the years. 2014 Silver Reverse Proof Kennedy half dollar, 2015 Silver Proof Roosevelt dime, numerous commemorative coins.

The 1996-W Dime and the 2019-W cents are the only ones added as a bonus to existing sets.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12139 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And the current quarters are the only ones released into circulation
Learn More...
United States
73473 Posts
 Posted 05/06/2019  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to mention those. I spent too much time trying to make sure I got the 2014/2015 issues straight.
Valued Member
United States
378 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Which was the point, keeping with the title. What I've noticed is that dealers are listing both proof sets for a bit over Mint cost but not including the Cent. One such dealer has those listed at $15.95. So, yeah, they're capitalizing on the "rarity" they created. When reality sets in they'll be lucky to get half of that.
Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2019  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nope. no interest in the set or the W cent.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9806 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got my 2 sets when they were released in early March. I can only imagine that the Mint added the W cents to this year's sets as an afterthought to attempt to boost flagging sales.
Edited by CelticKnot
05/11/2019 4:49 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12139 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can only imagine that the Mint added the W cents to this year's sets as an afterthought to attempt to boost flagging sales.

Might not have been an afterthought necessarily, but they were absolutely tied to sets to try and boost the sales of those sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3347 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  5:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget, they also changed the silver set to .999 silver for the first time. Next, I would look for them to make the 5 cent coin from silver, maybe even the wartime composition. Just a guess. And if so, why not make the mintmark like the big reverse style?
Edited by jimbucks
05/11/2019 5:42 pm
Learn More...
United States
73473 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2019  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Might not have been an afterthought necessarily, but they were absolutely tied to sets to try and boost the sales of those sets.
I agree.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9806 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  12:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only reason I say "afterthought" is because they weren't part of the set packaging and instead came in their own little envelopes and baggies. You separate those W cents from the sets they shipped with and then those sets are just regular annual sets.

I suppose it could have been intentional to keep them separate, but the surprise nature of the W quarters and the W cents seems to be a scramble IMO.
Learn More...
United States
73473 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even if they planned it, getting the packaging changed to include it may have required a much a longer lead time.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12139 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2019  11:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even if they planned it, getting the packaging changed to include it may have required a much a longer lead time.

Given that they were calling it a gift I suspect they had no interest in spending money redesigning anything hence the separate baggie
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05