Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

25th Anniversary Of Decimal Currency 50 Cent Piece - Why So Rare?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Australia
17 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  10:13 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MNCcoino to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is my favourite 50 cent piece design - I've been known to wax lyrical to the young(er) blokes I work with about the intricacy of the design (unmatched by any circulating design, in my opinion - I'd go so far as to say the only coin in my collection I like more is the 2018 John Monash Five Dollar coin). I recall seeing it only twice in my almost forty years on this planet (the second time I grabbed with both hands). But why? According to Renniks, 4.7m were minted - nearly twice as many as any given individual State Centenary of Federation design (except NSW).

Does the public at large share my enthusiasm for this design, or is it just some weird wrinkle of probability which allows it to slip past me?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
5146 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On my various trips to Australia I've only ever had one in change (I think that was on my first visit, back in the year 2000).
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5031 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that they've been hoarded due to the relatively low mintage.

I have a small stash of them somewhere.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
518 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yea I think it due to hoarding especially that particular coin as it was both a commemorative and lowish mintage there are large stash in Australia (that particular year I think might have been the only commemorative to be release so hoarding was focused on that coin), sorry if you want a large amount of them you can buy them easily enough :( for me noodling I have found about 2 so they almost dont exist in circulation anymore.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
518 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note that the RAM mintage numbers arent always correct eg.1992 MOB 1 dollar
Valued Member
Australia
239 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2019  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinOS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MNCcoino

Quote:
According to Renniks, 4.7m were minted

This coin: I have never seen one, or at least not noticed.

I agree that is a nice looking coin.

Quote:
.. that I'm missing in this strategy

I think that is up to the individual bank's discretion, but not really certain.
I asked my bank for a thousand dollars in 5c pieces a few months ago.
I was in the mood to search for a double headed 2007 - the bank were not in the mood.
They offered a smaller qty. and referred me up to the main city branch who did offer me 20,000 x 5c pieces.
Edited by CoinOS
06/25/2019 10:35 am
Australia
17 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  07:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MNCcoino to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was hoping to offload a bunch of 50 cent pieces as a set, but any such bulk lot would be missing this coin (I have it, safely stowed in an album). Sounds like noodling is the way to go. If memory serves correctly, I'd open an account with a bank which has at least two branches nearby, order the bulk change through one, noodle it, dump the unwanted change at the second branch, rinse, repeat and wipe hands on pants.

Or are there any wrinkles that I'm missing in this strategy? How much change do you noodle each time?

Similar story with the Norfolk Island Centenary of Federation 20c piece. I've got numerous examples of all the other States & Territories, but only one Norfolk Island (again, safely stashed in an album).
Formerly nancyc
Australia
5031 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nevol to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the non-mintage of 50c coins in 1986, 1987, 1989 & 1990 contributed to the hoarding of the 1991 coins, plus none in 1992 as well, then very low mintage for 1993 coins.
A friend is a present you give to yourself.
Nancy
Pillar of the Community
Australia
518 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i would say maybe worth but it very marginal, probably easily buy-able at about 1-2 dollars in bulk form (however grade is a problem), noodle 1 every 200 or 300 dollars or more in change, or at least that my feeling. They are much harder to find then any state federation coin and a good one is very few and far between.

Possibly that is reason to Nevol, also probably the large amount of circulate commeratives probably made the mint think they should mint relatively less of these, not just a good design but also my birth year :D
Pillar of the Community
Australia
567 Posts
 Posted 06/25/2019  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Similar story with the Norfolk Island Centenary of Federation 20c piece. I've got numerous examples of all the other States & Territories, but only one Norfolk Island (again, safely stashed in an album).

Yeah,not sure what was going on there,NI coins were a lot scarcer than the other States/Territories and that included Friends/Family looking for them in Sydney/Brisbane,may have been more plentiful in the other States.
I had to buy rolls at exorbitant prices to make up the sets,as I posted on the Oz. Forum I got caught once,machine rolled but only 2 NI coins at each end and the rest normal 20c.I would still have the roll if I hadn't opened it to complete sets.Seller did a refund and didn't even want the roll back so he must have known/suspected.
Edited by Basil
06/25/2019 8:00 pm
Australia
17 Posts
 Posted 06/26/2019  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MNCcoino to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Basil, according to my copy of Renniks (28th ed.), there are 2.2M NIs... not a huge difference from the other States (exc. NSW & Vic). Could it be that anything Norfolk Island related is seen to be a bit rare and therefore more avidly hoarded?

For the record, my now-wife casually collected coins, but didn't really give it much thought until I caught the bug. She immediately donated her NI to my collection. The only one I've ever seen.

For that matter, Renniks or MacDonalds? I've seen variances in mintage figures between the two guides...
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3130 Posts
 Posted 06/29/2019  01:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one coin that is challenging to find. Some of the more recent ones are reasonably difficult such as the 2000 Royal visit and the recent batch of Aboriginal 50 cents. They flooded the market when they appeared but disappeared equally fast.
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Edited by gxseries
06/29/2019 01:19 am
Australia
17 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2019  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MNCcoino to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
gxseries, I agree about the Aboriginal 50 cent pieces (if you mean the Eddie Mabo coin... I believe it was issued only through a handful of venues in Canberra and not directly from RAM. But my Mother-in-law got hold of one in Lismore, of all places. It's now in my collection). However I usually see one or two of the AIATSIS coins each month, despite a mintage of 3.01M. If I see one in good enough nick, I grab it.

Royal visit, again, I see them occasionally, a few per year. If in good enough condition, I grab those too. I wonder whether they're being taken out of circulation by staunch Monarchists? I've idly considered hoarding them for resale to such people.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1348 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  01:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're low mintage coins and look different so people hang on to them.

I've seen a few Mabo coins in circulation though - I don't think their distribution was limited.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
518 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2019  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yeah the MABO coins are terrible hard to find in circulation, not sure whats going on either banks haven't received many or people are hoarding those to.
Australia
17 Posts
 Posted 07/08/2019  03:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MNCcoino to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's what RAM has to say regarding circulation:

https://www.ramint.gov.au/publicati...liation-week

So, the way it sounds to me is that you could purchase them pre-circulation direct from RAM, otherwise, they circulated via the Canberra venues for a certain period, before being released into general circulation.

Still, you'd think after two years they'd crop up a bit more frequently, wouldn't you?

Oh, and typical me, I was just rummaging through some unsorted fifty cent pieces, and guess what was there? A 1991 commemorative, of course.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.94 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05