Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Sorry, We Don't Take Cash..."

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1382 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  8:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jpsned to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had my first experience with an establishment that didn't take money. It was a restaurant at an airport.

No cash accepted; credit cards only. Anyone else have this experience?
Valued Member
United States
199 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add winterfell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankfully, I've never had that experience!
Valued Member
United States
206 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  9:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andy Herkimer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Despicable, don't patronize them anymore. How are we supposed to cherrypick out change when establishments like that are completely unreasonable!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
42329 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cashless society is coming. It enormously simplifies the selling process for the vendor.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10120 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone else have this experience?

Yes, plenty of times -- most airlines no longer accept cash at all and I have to pay for my wine with credit (on the airline card of course, to get miles and 25% off). Now my bad habits when traveling can be (further) tracked.

Can't say I've been to (m)any retail places that have gone cashless, but I'm sure it's happened once or twice. Probably didn't even know it because I almost always pay with plastic anyway.

Quote:
How are we supposed to cherrypick out change when establishments like that are completely unreasonable!

Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sir Derrin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

"this note is legal tender for all debts, public and private"

Did you eat first? If they served you without making the payment options very plain up front they have no option but to take cash...

You could resolve the debt by some other means if you want to, but cash must always be accepted when offered to pay a debt.

The reason it mentions "all debts, public and private" is that back in the day, there were some types of currency that couldn't be used to pay some public debts. For example, until the early 1950's, United States Notes (aka "greenbacks") could not be used to pay import duties...

Personally I would never deal with a place that refused cash.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6129 Posts
 Posted 07/22/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7660 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
United States
80 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  12:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hoxsie454 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never had a business refuse cash. If it happened to me I would tell the manager I would never patronize them again.

A few weeks ago a credit card processing terminal was on the blink at a favourite breakfast restaurant and they could only process cash. I must say, it did slow things down a bit at the check out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
765 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  01:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimNWLincoln to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Went to a professional baseball game yesterday - they only accepted cards for parking & at the closest refreshment stand....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12617 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think some people are missing the fact he said it was at an airport. Most airports you don't have many choices, and it's literally the last place you want to make a stink about anything.

That said restaurants/bars and the food industry are an industry that is embracing the cashless transactions much more than others. It's quicker to keep the lines moving, and most importantly it cuts down on employee theft and makes it harder for people to lie about their tips when calculating what they should get paid hourly.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11882 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's getting more and more common practice .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1511 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No cash accepted; credit cards only. Anyone else have this experience?

I haven't run into that yet. But, there are still a couple of places near me that ONLY accept cash. One is an old family-owned barbeque house. The patriarch sits on a stool by the door next to a little table containing nice, neat stacks of dollar bills. Your price will be some multiple of a dollar and he has the change already "divvied up." No cash register or computer in sight. God bless the 'ole South!

Bedrock of the Community
United States
15956 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Did you eat first? If they served you without making the payment options very plain up front they have no option but to take cash...

The note says it is legal tender for all debt public or private but that does NOT mean they HAVE to accept it. True they should make the fact they don't take cash plain upfront. If you offer the cash they can decline it and if you try to leave without coming to a different arrangement to settle the debt they could call security. The offer of legal tender IS a legal attempt to settle the debt, but they DO have the right to decline it and request a different method of settling it. And you DO still owe the debt.
Gary Schmidt
Learn More...
United States
78656 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  11:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That said restaurants/bars and the food industry are an industry that is embracing the cashless transactions much more than others...
This is true.
Pillar of the Community
646 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2019  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wasn't there a court case here in the us recently or semi recently against a business that did not take cash and it was ruled illegal because it discriminates against people that do not have nor can get any cards.
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05