Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is MS-66 Really Worth 5 Times More Than A MS-65 ?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  07:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I still miss the old days afore slabs. I be thinkin that many swabs are buying the little piece o' paper inside the slab rather than the coin.

Now this here auction is still going on but the bid fer one coin is FIVE times more than the other. To me both are beauties but no way I'd be paying five times more fer one (if'n I had the doubloons to do so - har) jest cause it has a "6" at the end of the grade. Me thinks we are now splittin hairs.

What say ye?
Yers,
Capt.John

Edited by John K
08/14/2019 07:42 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2497 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
People with thick wallets and, with an affliction for numbers, don't seem question the rationale that's a guesstimate posted on a piece of paper, trapped inside a plastic prison.
Pillar of the Community
United States
807 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bosox to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1518 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For those who are playing the PCGS registry set game, that designation can be the difference between being the #1 set and being #6. No one wants to be #6.

I can tell you though that if you take say 6 random PCGS MS66 George V and George VI small cents and mix them up with 6 PCGS MS65 cents, most "lay" people would be able to immediately correctly pick out the MS66 cents, probably without a magnifying glass. The early small cents that make MS66 are pretty special.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
39324 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That sums it up pretty well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
936 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second coin looks five times as nice as the first one
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The second coin looks five times as nice as the first one

The second one MS-65 has a current bid of $675
The first one MS-66 has a current bid of $3300

Both are the tough "large 8"
Pillar of the Community
United States
522 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is MS-66 Really Worth 5 Times More Than A MS-65 ?

No.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1200 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know, I like the first one more, the crown "headband",beard and robe look so much more sharper...IMO
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7542 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not enough information.
Is one ten dollars and the other 50 dollars.
Is the 65 anywhere close to the 4 grand it should sell for?
Is the 66 at 20 grand?
And besides it ain't over 'til it's over.
Tell us what they actually sell for.
Right now it's about as pointless as discussing buy it now asking prices on ebay.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow _ I hope DBM is right!

Quote:
Is the 65 anywhere close to the 4 grand it should sell for?
Is the 66 at 20 grand?

Here is a "raw" one I bought recently. The "stuff"on the chin is just glare, not a defect. So am I rich?
Edited by John K
08/14/2019 11:10 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
966 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I am selling an MS 66, absolutely

If I am buying, nope
Pillar of the Community
United States
2497 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  12:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We'll need a close-up of the ornamentation on top of the Reverse crown to see whether it is just a bow tie or a "cross and bow tie" If it's just a bow tie, then you're not rich but about $1000 richer. If the tie and cross, only a few hundred (US).
Edited by okiecoiner
08/14/2019 12:51 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6059 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the game the TPGs love. They make money from it b/c the more spent on a piece of plastic, the more masses will gamble to see if they can strike it rich over what is printed on a piece of paper. Slabs shift focus off of the hobby basics and create an artificial market. By artificial I am simply parroting what is wisely said here on CCF over and over: Buy the coin and not the slab.

The slabbing game has damaged the history/value of actual coins as a whole. Almost every coin used to have numismatic value based on mintage numbers and MM. Now the larger part of a collection is classified as junk silver and a few keys. The focus (especially for unknowing newbies seeing eBay etc.) is shifted onto a piece of plastic that did not even exist when the coin was made.

Want some concrete proof the label means little real life?
https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...y_ID=2967242

But don't stop there - do actual comparisons for yourself. It is not hard to find similar results. But...it's only solid, verifiable data.

BTW - I do not fault anyone who wants to play the registry game since a hobby is about fun. The way they enjoy their affiliation with coins is their own business.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
08/14/2019 1:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
135 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We'll need a close-up of the ornamentation on top of the Reverse crown to see whether it is just a bow tie or a "cross and bow tie" If it's just a bow tie, then you're not rich but about $1000 richer. If the tie and cross, only a few hundred (US).

When I first acquired this beauty, I was told that ALL large "8" coins are bow tie only. Charlton only lists that option for the large 8. Mine is bow tie only but coin is in safe deposit box in Texas so cannot take a better picture.

Pillar of the Community
United States
2497 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2019  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From that blurry photo, it LOOKS like a large 8 and worth some bucks. Since the coin LOOKS UNC, I would advise you to get it certified (although I hate TPG's). Or take it to a larger coin show and show it to a few dealers. I would protect it though, as the surface looks excellent.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05