Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Are Bicentennials Worth Keeping ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  7:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add johnsolaris to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Today & over the weekend I have sorted through $100 in halves & $200 in Quarters. The Totals: 1 2019-W War in Pacific quarter, 31 bicentennials, 2 1964-d quarters & one proof which I have forgotten the date, but it was a bit worn.

On the Half dollar side, the first roll had a 1963-d Franklin. I also found 4-40%, 2 1967 & 2 1969-d along with 20 bicentennials, all well circulated. I know what the Red Book list for values & conditions, but what do you guys think? Do I keep all the bicentennials or throw them back into the wading pool ! I have several in uncirculated & many I have taken out of circulation that are in better condition.
thank you for all your wisdom & advice. john
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13096 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do I keep all the bicentennials or throw them back into the wading pool !

It has been asked many times before, but I think that the answer is still that you should spend them:

http://goccf.com/t/94583
http://goccf.com/t/292580
http://goccf.com/t/287018
"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3373 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Throw 'em back!
Pillar of the Community
United States
836 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Throw them back so you can fish them out next time.
Valued Member
United States
163 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a friend who has them by the hundreds (quarters) and dozens (halves)

Keep 'em if you like 'em but not worth more than face value (unless exceptional)
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 09/17/2019  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Still In Circ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spenders. To keep them all is a drag on your bank account. Nice finds from those rolls!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3766 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2019  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like not too long ago we tossed the 40%'ers back also. How time flies.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Valued Member
United States
134 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2019  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Be sure to check those Bicentennial D mint quarters over carefully. I found the following DDO while roll hunting in late 2015 (see linked photo). Had it slabbed by PCGS by way of local coin shop. Sold it a couple months later.

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...r76ddo_o.jpg
Edited by ijn1944
09/19/2019 08:59 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1856 Posts
 Posted 09/22/2019  12:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Spenders. To keep them all is a drag on your bank account.
If you're searching half dollar rolls, you will no doubt come upon rolls of bicentennials that others have dumped for the same reason. I have saved 2 nice rolls & dumped the rest.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.07 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05