Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Many Coin Sets Have You Completed Collections For?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 3,639Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  1:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was wondering in the CFF universe, how many coin sets have you completed? I will say that completed is up to you, for example I don't collect error coins so while I have the full LWC, I don't have the 2 errors of 1920 No D and 1955 DDO.

Based on my criteria which is all dates/mint marks but no error coins or proofs for most sets, I have completed the following *this is my full set criteria, other people have other conditions to consider a set complete.

LWC cent 1909 to 1958.
LMC Cents 1959 to 2008
Lincoln Commemorative 2009 In (PDS and Matte Finish)
LSC in PD (up to 2019)
20th and 21st Century Type set
Flying Eagle (1857 to 1858)
IHC (1859 to 1909)
50 State Quarters
Innovation Dollars (complete in Proof up to 2019)
I also have a few completed folders of Lincoln Cents

Almost complete
Peace dollars
MHD

Not yet started
Sacajawea
Bison/Indian Head Nickels

So what is your completion criteria and how many sets have you completed?

Learn More...
United States
91201 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Done (or to date where ongoing) in Dansco: Ike, Kennedy, Franklin, Washington (Eagle, S-DC-T, ATB), Roosevelt, Jefferson, Buffalo.

Working on: Lincoln (-2), IHC (-2), Mercury (-1), and the 7070 (-2). Also working on a graded Ike set in PCGS.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3247 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm... not actually sure; most of my completed sets are because I bought (or otherwise received) the entire set at (around) the same time, not because I tried to actively complete it (except during the purchase, i.e. while choosing my coins from the bargain bin).
There's probably about a dozen such examples (more if very short sets count), but explicitly listing them would be tricky.

In addition, for some of my "completed" sets, there's a clause along the lines of "I would still get the types/dates I didn't count if I somehow came across them at prices I can afford".
(Do you have the 1959-D Wheat cent? I'd guess no, because there's only one apparently two of them known. Similarly, if you collected Barber dimes or V nickels, I suspect you might have decided to call your set complete without having to get the 1894-S or the 1913 respectively.
Russian coin series have several similar cases, and a bunch of less ridiculous - but much harder to just skip - cases comparable to the 1856 Flying Eagle or the 1916 SLQ.)

I suspect that a lot of world coin collectors have similar stories (and many others are working on sets that are too open-ended to realistically complete).
Edited by january1may
10/24/2019 2:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct, I don't have an 1856 Flying Eagle or a 1959 D Wheat or a 1944 Steel Cent or a 1943 Copper, like I said I made the completed set on what I consider completed.

For example I consider the MHD complete when I have the 1916-D but I don't consider the 1942/1 needed, although if I can find one for a good price, I would add it, same with the 1955 DDO or 1920 no D as the story is pretty cool for both, but I don't need it IMO to have a full set.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3744 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  2:59 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm only missing the 1909-S VDB for LWC set.
I'm not an error or variety (except for lg and sm dates) coin collector either so my LMC and LSC sets are complete.
Only missing the three most current years for my Japanese 10 Yen set.
Completed my Canadian small cent set.
Have a way to go on my 7070.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Edited by chafemasterj
10/24/2019 4:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4920 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Each collector gets to make his/her own personal definition of a "complete set".
And that may change over time.

My FE/IHC set is complete.
Why?
Because I decided it is.
I'm only missing error varieties.
And I decided that I was not going to include errors.

For a while I considered my Classic Head Half Cent set (1809-1836) complete.
I have all of the Red Book listed varieties.
EXCEPT
I have no 1831 nor 1836, so how can it be complete.
They are proofs and long ago I decided that I wouldn't collect proofs with one exception, my birth year set.
So as far as I was concerned my Classic Head Half Cent set was complete.
But now I've decided that for my set to be complete I need all of the Cohen varieties.
And I want the 1837 Half Cent token because it's Red Book listed.
The bottom line is that instead of what I considered complete (16 coins) I am now short 9 Cohen varieties plus the token.

I have other similar examples.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
10/24/2019 3:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2515 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on no proofs I consider your Half Cent series complete also.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have every business strike coin from 1934-1964. The set starts with the #1 Registry set at NGC for 1934 even with 4 PCGS. Any coin of a scarce or rare nature (including varieties) are PCGS or NGC 63-67. 11 of my Walkers are screaming white MS-67 with better than average strikes.

And so one...

I enjoy year sets. That's the sets I hunt.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9067 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The basic 7070 is complete, but I'm slowly replacing the unslabbed coins (obtained long ago) with slabbed ones. Obviously, the augmented 7070 can never be complete.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3140 Posts
 Posted 10/24/2019  6:05 pm  Show Profile   Check silverwolf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add silverwolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm from Canada, and I have a complete Canada silver dollar collection from 1935-1967, minus a couple of varieties. And a near complete Canada silver half dollar collection from 1870-1967 minus, the 1890(just waiting for the right one}, and a few varieties. I had a complete Franklin set 1948-1963, but have since sold it. I also have a set of sealed Canada proof like sets, 1968-2019..
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19691 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think there is really such a set as complete. For example I have 12 sets of Mercury dimes that are almost complete but always need upgrading so that would mean not complete. Same with Lincoln Cents. I have 10 of those but since they are still making them, can't say any of those are complete either. I have multiple sets of many coins and I don't think of any of them as complete due to things like I need the 1913 Liberty Head Nickel to complete that set.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5994 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the complete LMC and Statehood Quarter sets.

That counts for something.... right?

I am only missing the 1939-D and I think two of the War Nickels to complete my 1938-Present nickel collection from circulation, but as I no longer find roll hunting enjoyable and rarely use cash, I don't think I will ever complete it.

I have enough of the Peace dollars that I might finish the set just for the fuzzy feeling - Just missing a few of the later years, including the 1928, and I think I'm missing some of the earlier common ones too.

My Japanese machine-struck, no-gold type set is complete except for the 1870 Yen (I owned one briefly, but returned it because I missed some flaws and overpaid) and the Trade dollar (A $500+ coin in any condition). For my own sanity, I am choosy about commemoratives I collect - I don't collect the commemoratives for (most) sporting events, colorized commemoratives, and am content only owning the Tokyo District of the 47 Prefectures 500 Yen set.

My Roman "Portraits of Power" set is nearing the limit of what makes sense to collect at my salary level - I'm down to the emperors who will set me back between $1,000 and 100,000 each. I do at least have every Senate-ratified emperor from Augustus through the division of the empire by Theodosius, so most would consider that to be complete.
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3871 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My birthyear OFEC is complete (68 countries)

My Kingdom of Poland OFER (one from each reign) is at about -2.

My kingdom of Poland OFEY is at -5 (out of 83 dates) for the 1500s. The 1600s and 1700s are not as complete (but each successive century has fewer dates).

My apostles + evangelists collection is at -1 (neither all apostles, nor all 4 evangelists are depicted on coins, as best I can tell, and the one coin I am missing has two, James and John).

Edited by tdziemia
10/25/2019 3:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3522 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  3:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lincoln Cents (Wheat, Memorial, 2009 Commemorative and Shield) - I always think of this as one set
7070 Type Set (no gold page)
Roosevelt dimes
Jefferson nickels

I have proof and mint sets from 1999 and up so I guess you could throw in the various quarter and dollar coins as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2156 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've been working on a 7070 (Dansco type set) with gold page and 3 Cent Nickels for quite a while and haven't completed either one.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9067 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2019  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As far as almost-complete sets/subcollections go:

- OFEC (one from each century) -- missing a bona-fide coin from the 7th century BC (my closest one is 625BC to 550BC)

- Classic US Silver Commems -- missing only Hawaii 50c.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 61 / Views: 3,639Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05