Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

For Your Classic Coins Do You Collect Circulated Or Uncirculated Coins?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
161 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Check chrisof4's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chrisof4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect both. I have a collection of every circulation strike of the wheat cents, less the 1909 VDB S, and they are all circulated. This is a big collection taking 7 full pages of 2x2 flips. For my type set I have MS65 examples of each type of Wheat cent, but for me there is no incentive duplicating my circulated set with slabbed coins. That would be too expensive and take up too much space.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6700 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pepactonius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Generally, the earlier the coin, the more likely it is it be circulated. Most 20th-21st century type coins are uncirculated. All my US commems are uncirculated. All US coins from the 1700s are circulated, and are often well circulated.

When it comes to pre-1500 dated coins, I'm just grateful to find anything, however awful it is.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
246 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 88isgreat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am also in the what I can afford camp. Have a selection of both circulated and MS coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
692 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2019  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seems like a lot of people like circulated coins :)
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny676767 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect both. There are two things mentioned that I agree with: First, the sense of history in a circulated coin is really unmatched in where it could have been and what it could have been used for. Second, cost is definitely a factor. I like to get an UNC example of a type if I can, but that doesn't happen with the older issues. However, the older issues have had more time to explore the world (or at least the country) so that circulation makes them just as valuable to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16099 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  08:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For classic coins, and with regard to grade,
I always try to get the best value for money in a cherry pick situation.
Because this strategy only occasionally works,
I expanded my horizons decades ago, to include the whole of numismatics, not just U.S. classic coins.

Grade, strictly by itself, doesn't matter for me,
because you don't always find what you are looking for.
Instead, seize on any opportunity when you see it.

Such a strategy will vastly increase your numismatic buying, collector and investor skills. This is what coin dealers do, but I am not a coin dealer.
Valued Member
Canada
109 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lakeman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I usually purchase the best I can afford when it comes to silver but like to stick in around XF/AU. When it comes to gold, for some reason I much prefer MS.

At the very least, I usually don't purchase anything under a VF.. I will hold out for a better opportunity.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16009 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Circulated, I have a lot I wouldn't mind in a higher grade, but I don't want MS coins. I woant coins that can demonstrate that they have done the job they were intended to do.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TimNH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I not only buy circulated coins, I actively avoid slabs or other types of 'protection'. If I get coins in 2x2s (or rarely in a Details slab), I break them out and toss them in a bag of their 'kind'.

For example, I love bidding on lots like this -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-50-...143433018193

In fact I have won a few similar lots from Mr Hodson :)

Love my big ol' "bags of doubloons". Take them out, toss them around, ponder each one's long adventure!

MS/UNC coins are sad to me, like an old sports car perfectly preserved with 100 miles (that's my other collection: sports cars). It never got out and lived its life.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16099 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  6:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I never buy slabbed coins, either.

If this your approach, you have to have the confidence to grade accurately, this is especially so, if you are going to buy any coin of significant value.

I always try to buy at the best value for money, with regard to whatever the grade may be.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2019  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
US Large Cents, pretty much whatever I can get my hands on, US high value small cents,same. Wait a minute... all my coins are whatever I can get my hands on.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
312 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sharkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I buy the best looking coin I can afford. I am primarily working on a TPG slabbed comprehensive type set and have bought almost all mint state coins so far, but I do have a price ceiling.
I stay away from lower mint state coins. If I can't afford ms63, I think it's easier (and cheaper) to get a nice au coin than a nice low mint state coin.
Generally, older coins and higher denominations cost more. But with older coins eye appeal and grade are less likely to correspond. For example, I have my eye on an au50 with arrows LSH that I find more attractive than other higher graded au coins. I also just bought an xf-45 1819 Capped Bust half that compares well to high au specimens costing 3 times as much.
Valued Member
United States
470 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
when it comes to classic coins, I grab any condition, as long as the price is within reason.. I have some of each, circulated & uncirculated, but most are circulated. and I love them all equally.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18731 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  09:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For me it's what ever I need to complete a set.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BGLI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a mix but depends on cost of the coin. would like mint state but usually out of my budget
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05