Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1992 Type 2 Nickel: Re-engraved Beaver

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
 Posted 11/12/2019  8:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thought I would add a normal one also for comparison.

Edited by Dredge
11/12/2019 8:57 pm
Valued Member
Canada
366 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  02:29 am  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly a specimen coin that got out in the wild. Looks like a flaw on DA and waterlines on one.
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. Both are uncirculated coins. One is from a roll the other from an unc set. Just look how much further the body of the Beaver goes down the tail and how little log is left.
It is truly Re-Engraved.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
731 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  10:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that is a pretty significant difference between the two. there is a lot of die deterioration around the beaver on the "small log" coin. is this a result of over polishing of the dies maybe?
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a very interesting difference in the two. Originally I also thought maybe a proof die had been used. But the following two images are from eBay auctions of a proof and an Unc. Both appear to be the same design with the same log and same length of hair onto the beaver's tail, yet neither have the hair of the beaver extending onto the "top" of the log like yours. So maybe you have discovered a new variety?
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Edited by Earle42
11/13/2019 11:53 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1648 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dredge hope you dont mind. here is and overlay of your images. you be the judge. from what I am seeing you have a new variety. here is your image
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1648 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42 sorry earle. thought my well do your photo as well the c+e in cent dont match. the top beaver tail is bigger.
the top beaver is slightly bigger. the 2 number 5s are different here is the image
Valued Member
Canada
57 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dredge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my second one. It has the same attributes. I took a couple more shots took give you a better look. Best I can do with a phone and loop. Lol.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4378 Posts
 Posted 11/13/2019  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There were like 50 million nickels produced in 92, so lots of pair of dies created, take an example of regular grade 3 bolt, worth around 50 cents to a buck or so depending on size. Now the same size bolt made to aircraft standards in batches of 52 where 2 are sent for testing standards, these bolts cost 10 to 100 bucks each because they can not fail. The coins the RCM produced are to a low standard, just enough to do it's job, so naturally you get slight variations in the coin, to most collectors it's only a curiosity, just my 5 cents worth only.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Comparing this with the relatively hard to see 1926 far 6, 1922 and 1932 far varieties, which many people struggle to identify, it seems Dredge's find is very easy to determine. I think it warrants looking into a new variety attribution.
one beaver has long hair and the other short. The coverage of the hair onto other details is plain to see. The log on the one also has smaller height than the other.

Once a collector would see these points, they are pretty obvious. And, IMO, much more obvious than the aforementioned varieties.
Great find!

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Valued Member
Canada
112 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numidan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Something we had observed a while back and concluded on some kind of tool damage when polishing.

Here is link (french site) : https://5centscanada.1fr1.net/t140-...e-extra-coat
Edited by numidan
11/14/2019 3:38 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8684 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  1:40 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Being in the recessed portion of the die, I highly doubt this is tool damage to a given die. I suspect a 2nd production punch to make a master die was made. You'd have to search a bunch of mint-issued 1992 rolls to draw any conclusion about scarcity.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
112 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  3:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numidan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The intersection of fur and log is in fact in the recessed portion of the coin, thus, one of the highest point on the die!

1990s nickels have many example of dies will tool damage,
remember "bare belly" on 1990 or

this one on 1993 nickel
Edited by numidan
11/14/2019 3:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6139 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  10:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
After studying the pictures at the link Numidan posted, I noted the extra hair extending onto the tail and over the log is made of parallel lines. It does look as if something scraped the die deeply in that area to make the different look. I think the difference in height of the logs in the pic I posted before is due to one coin being rotated further in one direction than the other.

Even if this was just a damaged die, I would think it could still be a collectible variety since it came from the mint looking that way. I'd like to find one!
- Real men play Fizzbin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1648 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rocky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Earle42 go check my overlay this is a new variety.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7676 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2019  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Both the OP's "re-engraved" coins and the two linked to have a die gouge line near the D and last A of CANADA.
It is clear that all of these coins are products of the same die.
The odds that they are from a new master die are slim to none.
It's more likely(though still highly improbable) that a single die was re-engraved.
But most likely IMO, what we see is damage to the die.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
11/15/2019 09:41 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.87 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05