Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Questions For The Experts,87p Nickel Struck On Clad Stock

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
235 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  5:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The slab says nothing about clad stock it's a nicely toned jefferson unless a sigma or other XRF machine says differently. sms is not an accepted grading service by far read other reviews on the site of their services. Non blurry images of the coin will get you a way more accurate grade from the family here than from star grading services. I have a few non accepted slabs myself. Best advice I have heard on here...buy the coin not the slab. after a few I regret I stick with all NGC and always check certification numbers first.
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the extras images. Here is a LINK to a topic on SGS grading service with some really pertinent information. (Not favorable by the way.)
https://www.cointalk.com/threads/co...ervice.4033/

Whether the nickel error is genuine remains to be seen since the images are hard to get through the plastic slab.

If you send it off please post nice clear images as we would all like to see it be real.

Thanks again for the follow up.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20277 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  6:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SGS is crap. I've seen coins that weren't even AU labeled as MS70.
Valued Member
United States
462 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2019  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NDCENT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all.I am confident it is real.I've researched SGS.That was the reason I bought the lot.I had a good feeling about the coins I purchased.Believe it or not some of the coins are great.I will try to get something to take better pictures.
Valued Member
United States
311 Posts
 Posted 12/01/2019  05:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lcutler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no indication of it being on clad stock except the copper color near the edge? First thing would be to get it out of the holder, check the edge for copper and weigh it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2444 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  12:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck...lets crack it out
Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2019  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with lcutler 100%.

Out of the slab to get an unobstructed view of the rim and also to weigh it.
Edited by Petespockets55
12/03/2019 11:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1594 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2019  03:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any update on this coin? Now that we know the "grading company" is untrustworthy, has the nickel been broken out of the holder and weighted yet?

You have our attention, now can we see more of it?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3754 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2019  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jim0815 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If he had it, he would have cracked it open by now.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1681 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2019  07:53 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you can have a Gold and Silver buyer use an XFR reader on the coin you can find out if it's a copper core coin by the percentage of nickel and copper. I think that they can read it in the slab, so you shouldn't have to break it. Once you have the exact numbers from an XFR scan we should be able to tell if it's a clad planchet nickel.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
United States
967 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2019  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If he had it, he would have cracked it open by now.

Not necessarily.
They seem convinced it is legit and the slab keeps it protected better than a 2x2. If they decide it is authentic and send it to an accepted grading company that company can crack it open easier. Plus, I'm not sure they have the right equipment to get good enough images for us to be able to tell.
It would be great to see images of the edge showing the copper better but I'm guessing they want it to grade as high as possible even though they realize SGS isn't trustworthy (judging from their replies).

Probably going to take a gamble based on what they can see in hand and send it in. At least it would be a better investment than a scratch-off lottery ticket.
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2019  04:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Waynoah83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bottom line is if someone paid to have it slabbed regardless who, they wouldnt have sold it with other coins for $25. It.would be cool if its real but I'm gonna take a stab and say its a pretty nickel
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16150 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  12:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you can have a Gold and Silver buyer use an XFR reader on the coin you can find out if it's a copper core coin by the percentage of nickel and copper.

Nope, the XRF gun only penetrates a few microns into the surface. If it was struck on clad stock the gun wouldn't be able to reach the copper core so it would just come back as 75% copper 25 % nickel. Exactly the same reading as it would get on a regular five cent piece.

Quote:
Bottom line is if someone paid to have it slabbed regardless who, they wouldnt have sold it with other coins for $25

It was an SGS slab and they were a notorious self slabber (And rampant overgrader) so it probably cost them maybe 70 cents to produce it. It then sold at a ridiculous price (considering they called it a 70) Some dealer probaly eventually bought it for a dollar or two and then sold it for $25. Seems perfectly reasonable to me.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1681 Posts
 Posted 12/06/2019  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conder101 said...

Quote:
Nope, the XRF gun only penetrates a few microns into the surface. If it was struck on clad stock the gun wouldn't be able to reach the copper core so it would just come back as 75% copper 25 % nickel. Exactly the same reading as it would get on a regular five cent piece.

Thanks for the info! I thought it was MUCH more accurate than that.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05