Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1918-D MS Full Bands....did I Miss An Opportunity?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  4:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This sold today via auction on http://www.invaluable.com.

The stated estimated value was mid 5 figures, likely due to the rarity of full bands for this issue.

Hammer closed at $190 plus 17.5% buyer's premium.

I was definitely thrown off by the "BGC" holder. Meaning, was this coin submitted to PCGS or NGC and deemed cleaned or otherwise "genuine" and they cracked it out and put it in this no name holder? Why the heck wouldn't someone get it PCGS'd or NGC'd with a book value that high?

In any event, just thought I'd share the pics as it looked pretty stunning and seemed to have sold for less than market value. I can't discern any obvious "problems". Thoughts?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
12930 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why the heck wouldn't someone get it PCGS'd or NGC'd with a book value that high?

There's no good reason not to. At best it's being a contrarian/naive that it doesn't matter and from there it gets to more nefarious reasons.
Fire A.J. Preller

Go Navy Beat Army
Pillar of the Community
United States
4828 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did not miss an opportunity; as a matter-of-fact you probably just dodged a bullet!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2447 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why the heck wouldn't someone get it PCGS'd or NGC'd with a book value that high?

Because the coin grade is not MS66 FB. The coin sold for fair value. The coin at best is a AU58 FB which would put the value in the $220 range.
Valued Member
United States
116 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jafo50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No mention of that die crack running down the neck to the 6 o'clock point. Hard to really tell if it's FSB from those photos.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1664 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would consider this an ungraded, raw coin. Hard to tell if it's even uncirculated given the heavy toning, and the basement slab make you wonder if the surfaces aren't original.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43786 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Who in the heck is BCG?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9254 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The coin sold for fair value. The coin at best is a AU58 FB which would put the value in the $220 range.

That's what I was thinking too.
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
No mention of that die crack running down the neck to the 6 o'clock point.

Yep, I saw that one! Also, the die crack running from just left of the "T", through the wingtip to the back of the cap is another known for this date and others. I find die cracks interesting, not sure they affect value per se.

I thought this coin looked at least somewhere in the MS range, but it is hard to tell with this dark toning.

Buyer beware of false advertising! I see it all the time on eBay, where folks are hawking brightly dipped XF coins as BU, but this one seemed potentially legit (haha, basement slab notwithstanding).
Valued Member
United States
434 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  9:25 pm  Show Profile   Check Onedollarbillnut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Onedollarbillnut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
**this can be seen to as a non family forum abbreviation. **
Tim Hughes
Pillar of the Community
United States
4828 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BGC = Bad Grading Company
Pillar of the Community
United States
2422 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
BGC= Bobbys Grading Co....he's a 15 year old kid working out of his parents basement and has been into and grading coins for about two years now....
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18935 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like Merc's but not this one. I'd pass on buying it for any reason.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12374 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By what I see , I would not call this coin FSB ,nor would I buy a coin in an unknown slab .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
457 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would not call this coin FSB

Just some additional info on full bands / full split bands, etc. PCGS only designates at MS60 and above. Also, this article states, "Although the central bands must be fully separated with no interruption, it is not necessary to have full roundness to the bands - the so-called "McDonald's Arches" that are sometimes referred to as Full Split or Full Rounded Bands." https://www.PCGS.com/news/mercury-d...h-full-bands

From the photo provided, there appears to be no interruption, but the dark toning on the extreme right side of the bands makes it difficult to tell 100%.

Quote:
I like Merc's but not this one. I'd pass on buying it for any reason.
Can you expand on that - what is it about the coin that would cause you to pass?

I agree that this coin and most coins in a non PCGS / NGC / ANACS slabs should likely be considered as raw.
Edited by one_fine_dime
12/11/2019 09:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1508 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is difficult to discern full separation from these photos. Correct, the bands need not be rounded, but there must (MUST!) be full separation in the bands.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05