Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1948 Impaired Silver Dollar Value?

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Canada
55 Posts
 Posted 12/10/2019  11:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Orlando di Lasso to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you think this 1948 silver dollar with a hole filled in on the letter "N" would be worth? Thanks

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2688 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  06:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably a little more than scrap silver price, maybe $15-20 or so Cdn
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1010 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  07:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure what I would pay, but would be more than scrap. It would make a nice hole filler
Valued Member
Canada
424 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  08:21 am  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the filled in N is actually a filled in hole, which to me makes this coin worth melt value only. About $14 cdn.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
43783 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty close to scrap, I'd say.
Canada
7 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  09:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CAmint to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with purelywasted. I think that it would be worth more than melt considering the fact that it would be a hole filler in most collections.

It's hard to put a value on it, but I would definitely pay $50 for it!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2259 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would go for way more than $50 on Ebay.

I'd say someone would bid at least $300 for it and it might reach $500.

I wouldn't pay that for it, but there certainly are some loo-loo bidders on Ebay that would.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1560 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am somewhere in the middle. It is a very scarce coin. I just sold a much more common copper holed token and it went for about the value of a coin graded G-4. I would say $250 to $500.
Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numis-Northerner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly much more than melt value, I agree that a top price of $400 cad is likely the most it would go for , and I personally would pay $100 bucks in a heart beat.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3146 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  11:29 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slam dunk 400 or more . There is a market for coins like this .
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1431 Posts
 Posted 12/11/2019  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't even want or bid any coin with a hole drilled or hammered through it to me it scrap silver
Valued Member
Canada
215 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Quatchi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Come on guys, it still some "it is what it is" value. If it were mine, and I wanted to sell it, I'd do a good old fashioned low start auction on Ebay (to attract attention to the piece) and expect bids to roll in! Let us know if you decide to do that, I'll have to watch that one.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2259 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  09:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
General rule for pricing a holed coin...........

common coin 5% to 10% of trends and for a desirable date (such as this one) up to 30% of trends.

I once sold a holed and bent 1804 US bust dime in good+ condition for $3000.00 (book value being around $10,000+).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1048 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2019  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My wife says I'm easily amused, but I'm still chuckling over a coin with a filled hole being a hole filler.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3011 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is still a rare piece despite the hole. It would often be the only piece missing from a silver dollar collection. A lot of people would be happy to have this at $200-$300 if they can never afford $1000 for an undamaged piece.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1184 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2019  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Check Pokermandude's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pokermandude to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$300-400 sounds about right.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05