Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 1 Cent Doubled Die Obverse

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
Canada
8838 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for arriving late to the party...

Congrats, that is _the_ 1967 DDO. First discovered by Alan Herbert of CONECA. I have written a couple of articles on this specific DDO - send me a PM (through CCF), and I can send you copies of my articles.

I can say this coin is not an easy one to find. And it is most certainly worth all of $20 or more. I sold three of these on eBay in the last year: two were circulated EF grades (sold for $40) and one AU grade (sold for $50). It is now in the front part of the Charlton Catalogue, and it is only a matter of time before it is in the Elizabeth II PCGS small cent registry.

Canadian die varieties beyond 1901 are poorly studied and documented. Keep looking, because I'll bet there are tons of discoveries yet to be made...
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8838 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You all have to learn the differences between hub-doubling, mechanical/machine doubling, Die Deterioration Doubling, and actual doubling. Any time you take a microscope and go up to 40-50X to inspect ANY mechanically produced item, you are going to see some anomalies .. most of which are well within tolerance. It doesn't make them a variety or an error.

Quite hypocritical of you Bill, since you have been posting microscope QX5 photos for years on double and triple punched 9s on 1859 cents. And YOU need to learn the proper (Canadian) terminology... up in Canada, doubling on working dies is called "punch doubling".

I will not have you sit in your Victorian glass house and throw stones at those who want to study modern coins and hunt for varieties. T_y does it for twoonies and I do it for nickel dollars... 1-cent coins being discussed here are most certainly welcome, especially when the desire here is to learn, and yes, microscopic examination does help.

This rant ends my 2019 posts on CCF... I am hoping for a more educational and welcoming presence here for novice collectors in 2020.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1463 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alan to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Despite all the barbs back and forth I find this very a interesting study. One should expect this sort of thing in all academia. Agree with spp, we must remember kindness and respect go a long way in making for an environment where all feel welcome and are able to contribute and learn. Happy new year
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2744 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Roger. I got off on a small rant of my own and really didn't mean to. Yes, I used to put all kinds on QX5 micros on the old CCRS site and still do on here from time to time. I didn't mean to besmudge modern error collectors. I know that's one of your main fortes, especially those with huge offsets. Be good there in the mysterious East. B
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1563 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  5:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
SPP, you really think this is going to make it into the PCGS registry set anytime soon? We still don't have the 1948 ATSD and the 1947 blunt and pointed ML in the George VI set yet. Also, kind of inexplicably, the basic Elizabeth set does not even have any 1954 cent at all. I would have thought that the 1967 coin was still many years from inclusion. In the more "plain vanilla" variety sets such as the small cent sets, I sense that maybe PCGS is reluctant to put in coins that are just too hard to find regardless of grade as it could scare off participation.
Valued Member
Canada
386 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear John (oh oh, a dear John letter),
It's nice to see someone excited and passionate about coins. I imagine it wasn't your intention, but by putting so many posts at once, it appeared you were hijacking the forum, with old, very-limited interest topics.

I went to a coin convention in 1962, at 12 years old (alone, 13 miles by bus and streetcar to downtown Toronto). I loved old coins - and those silver 50 cent and dollars when my clients paid for their newspapers every 2 weeks. I had Whitman folders for 1 to 25 cents as a teen, Victoria to date then, and started filling holes.

I looked for that 1936 dot cent everyday - it's sure to turn up ! I bought 1964 Zoell 1 cent and 5 cent variety books and checked every coin that went through my hands for the next 40 years. I married young, and with a family, I roll-hunted like crazy from 1970 to the 90's. I kept every coin with any little thing that looked different. I had a corner store and asked the employees to put anything from the till that looked different to the side so I could check it. I also checked coins from and to the bank. Every dealer at that time was saving rolls of everything (incl.60's silver), and all the young collectors like me saved rolls of cents and nickels. I still have too many rolls - over 300 cent rolls 1940-99, plus more than 15,000 loose 37 to date.
So many collectors were roll-hunting and examining cents and nickels (Zoell was big to search by), that most minor varieties were reported within 3-4 years, and we knew through Canadian Coin News reports, coin catalogues, and dealer ads and coin stores.
Doubled 1967 cents were known and easy to find. They were advertised for sale in CCN. They didn't sell because they were easy to find. There were also ads for 1978 errors, so guess who started putting them aside? Double 8, double 78, double 978, double 1978, Spock eyebrow, spitting queen, ridges at nape, throat, nose, forehead, etc., etc..
I put over 300 1978/79 BU cents with different errors/varieties in 2X2's. So many more kept coming that it got ridiculous. I had a thousand or more. I just recently tossed them in with regular rolled cents. Imagine how many more there really are if I could have that many. I still have at least a 100 78/79 DD/minor errors in 2x2's. You can't give them away. I also wouldn't bother to make a new post about a 1978 or 79, I'd find an older one and add on to it.

When newcomers start on the site, if they read the welcome post as requested, they are encouraged to check the previous postings to see if their question, etc. has already been discussed, before starting a new thread about the same thing. Most of the minor errors/ varieties have already been documented and discussed here, some ad nauseum.

I guess we old-timers are jaded. When I checked the site the other day and saw a half a page of JohnWayne007, I rolled my eyes, and skipped all of them. My exact react was "What the hell, someone took over the forum ?". A Western movie came to mind - The Duke walks into the saloon and kicks out everyone playing cards and drinking whiskey, so he can have a sasparilla. Or an action movie, Daniel Craig says, "I'm Bond, James Bond", and no one looks or cares, he's not sophisticated and debonair. A final bad analogy, if any one remembers the character on Saturday Night Live, Stewart, who would always try to attract attention by saying, "Look what I can do", and then do something inane.

It was a case of "been there, saw that, don't care", so I apologize. I can see how some get frustrated, no matter the subject of the post; not another 1859, not another DP 1881H, not another 1993 die crack, not another minor 1967 cent error, and my pet peeve, not another registry coin that the owner doesn't say how much he blew on that one. Do be aware that no one will be as interested in your posts as much as you are. I try to be very selective in what I post as to not hijack the forum, or "strut my stuff". You can quite easily post all of your items in the "post your circulation finds" thread, as they are from circulation even if they are in rolls, and you will get responses if others are interested, and no new thread pushes the others down.

Edited by TerryT
01/01/2020 7:07 pm
Valued Member
Canada
411 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  7:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TerryT, with all do respect my posts may be excessive but when I have long time CCF members PM'ing me about my finds and having even the moderators telling me my posts are perfectly acceptable and most of which being interesting enough to have even them tell me they searched for these for so many years but cannot find them, clearly I must be doing something right.

I do not claim to know everything and that is why I am here, to learn and I do take recommendations and opinions from those who take notice and are respectable and find enjoyment in my posts.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and although I respect each and every one of them I am only sharing my interest with like minded individuals which this forum was made for, and learning a long the way. If you are not a like minded individual and you find my posts "Annoying" and "Hijacking" well scroll on, nobody is show boating or trying to be better than anyone like your reply implies, You may have experience, you may have many more years on top of mine in collecting but that does not mean your comments are called for.

Until a moderator tells me to stop posting so much which I would respectfully listen, but again, your opinion is exactly that, just an opinion and I have a few members that actually enjoy my posts, so 1 bad egg out of a couple dozen good ones does not bother me.

Im sorry that my work ables me to be on a computer for most of the day more than others and I get a chance to post more often than others BUT it is always done with good intentions in mind and every and ALL my posts have enough information in them to keep those who are interested, happy.

So again, although completely not needed thank you for your opinion.

Edit:

I would also like to add I do actually restrain myself from posting a lot of things, I find a lot of legitimate errors that I do not need opinions on so I don't post them, the ones that get posted here are the ones I am not certain about and that is what this forum was made for.

On top of all that I don't plan on going anywhere any time soon, the CCF has been very good to me and I have gotten to know a lot of people that I share the same interests with so if anyone thinks I will take comments like that personally and run away and not post things anymore I'm sorry you are sadly, and respectfully mistaken.
They say coin roll hunting is like a box of chocolates, you never know what your gonna get.... I think it went something like that, I was too busy looking at coins.

This is my very first error coin I found that got me hooked.
- 1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Edited by JohnWayne007
01/01/2020 7:56 pm
Learn More...
Canada
8838 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Terry, you should expose yourself to a good week of posts in the US modern variety and errors subforum... they take this sort of stuff very seriously. I'll bet you'll come back to this subforum, grateful that a couple weeks of posts remain on the first page...

JohnWayne - if anyone tells you to stop posting, please bring it immediately to the attention of the staff by clicking that little link in the bottom right corner of every post. Personally, I love that you are embracing the hobby by searching out small things. In the end, you gain knowledge by doing so - and anyone who has made money with this hobby has done so, because of their knowledge.

My eBay store
Learn More...
Canada
8838 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
SPP, you really think this is going to make it into the PCGS registry set anytime soon?

All it takes is for a serious registry player to ask. Look at the 5-cent (with varieties) Registry sets - Canadian Beaver Hunter got those in there. I got the 1971 DDR dollar in the PL registry. Care to make a wager with me that if I certify my mint state 1967 DDO, and then ask for it - that it will make it in the registry?

However, I digress. The enigma and giant elephant in the room, is why PCGS won't touch Victorian obverse types - even when Rob Turner offered to provide all the reference material they need (I am sure Rob can elaborate on this).

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1563 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the large cent obverses, I bet PCGS is afraid of making mistakes which will cost them money on their guarantees.

I did ask PCGS about the 1948 small denticles last year.....I did not get any substantive answer, but I may have asked the wrong person. That one seems like a no brainer. It is in their pop tables and they already have "large denticles" in the set, which begs the question as to why there is no small. I don't think I have seen a holder that specifies the 1947 ML variety as yet. May be I should send mine in and ask them to do it.
Learn More...
Canada
8838 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2020  10:15 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Catching up on my 2019 coin show acquisitions and photographing the cooler ones. This is one from the fall Montreal Nuphilex. Paid a handsome sum of $15 for this one. Possibly too much for a normal MS red-brown 1967 clip, that is, until you look closer. I didn't find a single 1967 DDO at that show, except for this one!

My eBay store
Valued Member
Canada
52 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2020  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tone2tone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in California for the winter. I have my Canadian Penny and Nickle hoard with me to take to the Long Beach expo this month. I was just going through some ms rolls of the 196's7 this morning and I did notice some visible die shifts on the profile of the queen's profile and some lettering at the 2 o'clock position. I have a bunch of rolls to go through tomorrow so we shall see what else but I did not look at the crown area like the posted photos. I have been going by the charlton guide which shows the dd with doubling in the obverse "g" I have been learning alot about the Lincoln cents and varities while here and it seems they do love their doubling but they know the difference between the various types as well. ;)
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 2.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05