Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Experiment Continues

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 929Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  5:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm very disappointed. My previous thread led me to different things to try. None of them have worked thus far. I tried 9 variations and gave each a olive oil bath and a light brush afterwords. Here are my results.

1987 Vinegar and Peroxide 50/50 bath for 3 min

1989 Vinegar and salt for 3 min

1967 Vinegar and salt for 1 min

1964 Acetone for 5 sec

1999 Acetone for 45 sec

1975 Rubbing alcohol for 1 min

2001 Acetone for 15 sec

1980 Rubbing Alcohol for 30 sec

1885 Acetone for 30 sec

Pillar of the Community
United States
3570 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I get that you're experimenting, but I wouldn't use any acids like vinegar or olive oil. Use mineral oil and a very soft toothbrush, very lightly (as coop has suggested). Also, you are experimenting on copper and zinc coins; for the sake of your experiment, stick to one or the other, as copper and zinc reacts differently, just fyi. Sill, the best advice is the standard, don't clean your coins unless you have something worthy of saving.
ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  6:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi merclover. I found various recipes on coin community. These are ones that I could test now. I got the suggestion from coop for the mineral oil. But I have to go to the store to get it. When I find one to keep and want to restore it I need to know how and how not to. I have now eliminated vinegar through my experiments. Acetone is ok for a 5 sec bath but it can only do so much. I posted these not for my benefit but for the good of the whole community. Please be a little more positive.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46202 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  6:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mineral oil is inexpensive and doesn't spoil.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3638 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a good post to show what works and what does not. It is something to point to for newbies. The coins that the OP is experimenting on are clearly only worth face value to begin with, so guys, let's not worry about trying to identify the do's and don'ts right now.
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks oriole and coop
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  7:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coop is baby oil close enough?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14024 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can put lipstick on a pig ,but it's still a pig . Your wasting your time and energy messing around with trash coins . Just stick to the basics : Acetone ,distilled water and Verdi-Care are the only solutions you need to know about . If you can't get the coins looking real decent with those 3 then use those coins to fill a hole or throw those nasty Lincolns in your cull box . The Peroxide and vinegar can be used only for bringing up the dates on worn dateless Buffalo nickels .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
951 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add llewellin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Threads like these indicate we're losing collective knowledge on many topics. There are loads of old threads on this topic that are good, and a few like this that are dross. T-Bop's advice is solid
Pillar of the Community
United States
3499 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI..I've soaked pre 82 cents in Acetone for up to 2 days with no negative effects and lets not forget Xylene (per BadThads polar ladder) So don't be afraid to lengthen your soak times....Guys remember, trying is on the way to learning and he is using junk cents..I say keep at it TwistedTrader....good luck
Edited by Greasy Fingers
12/29/2019 11:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3570 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2019  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Please be a little more positive."
ša va bien aller
Pillar of the Community
United States
3570 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of THE best videos I have ever come across is this one

xomkcPK1R_c

by our very own coop! please check it out!
ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  06:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TwistedTrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of you all don't get it. To restore a coin should not be a secret. I got many tips on the subject. Some worthy and some not so much. I want my little collection to look as nice as possible. I have always been the do it yourself type! I thought I would get a majority of support from the community. But support is in the minority. Thank you to those who support my efforts.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14024 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  07:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TT , It's not that we don't support your efforts . We disagree on the solutions your using on dead Lincoln Cents .
Experiment , yes go right ahead but all we are saying is don't use any kind of acid on your coins to either clean them or conserve them .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
1606 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Much depends on what the individual collector is after. I knew someone who happily used Brasso on a collection of circulated wheat cents. The individual was very happy with the resulting bright pink copper appearance after rubbing liberal dollops of Brasso on the coins using a coarse, well-used (dirty) rag. Several months later they'd begin to tarnish, so more Brasso.

When I attempt restoration of copper or copper-plated coins, I use acetone and/or mineral oil only. VerdiCare occasionally. A few times I've soaked in acetone for many hours to remove stubborn material such as decades-old glue-like substances--with good results.
Pillar of the Community
United States
715 Posts
 Posted 12/30/2019  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oijogja to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am in full support of your experimentation, TT. I think pretty much everyone has good intentions here and at worst is trying to save you some time and energy. I always learn best from experience, too, and I have a natural tendency to question authority, so this is totally the kind of thing I might myself do just to figure out what I really think is the truth. It's only a waste if you don't learn from the experience, so do your thing.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 929Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05