Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Proof ASE Went Up Almost $9

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1185 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  12:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wow, I was checking on the internet and the new 2020 Proof ASE are now $64.50. In 2019 they were $55.95

Thats a pretty large price increase. I was thinking of getting a few in 2020 but at $64.50 the older ones are cheaper at my LCS. I'm going to get older ones as they are cheaper. To me that's a large price increase, the cost of silver has been pretty stable. Surprised it went up so much.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2019  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Reno32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was looking at the coin collector on HSN, he said that it was the end of the design for the the ASE. He had the 86 and 2020 for sale together, saying that you have the start and the end of the coin design.It seen like they going up on all the coins
Edited by Reno32
12/31/2019 4:35 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10246 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to what I've read, the current design for the collector editions (proof, uncirculated) will be around for at least another year or two. It's only the bullion ASEs that are getting redressed in 2021.

But yes, a $9 price hike is unpalatable for sure.

edit: updated year to 2021.
Edited by CelticKnot
01/01/2020 6:31 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
930 Posts
 Posted 01/01/2020  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But yes, a $9 price hike is unpalatable for sure.

Unfortunately, the ASE increase isn't the only one for 2020. The ATB proof set went from $15.95 last year to $18.50 this year, a 16% increase. The New Jersey RP Innovation dollar is $11.50, up almost 16% from $9.95 for the Pennsylvania dollar that came out less than a month ago. All three are quite ridiculous, especially for the two without precious metals. Should be interesting (and depressing) to see what other increases are ahead.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1143 Posts
 Posted 01/02/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Should be interesting (and depressing) to see what other increases are ahead.

Since spot Ag prices are up ~15% Jan 19 to Jan 20, I guess the ~15% price increase in the Ag coins is somewhat justified, but with inflation running ~2% the ~15% increases in base metal products seem unjustified to me.

The bump up in the Rev Prf Innovation $ prices makes the decision whether to collect or not collect this series easier for me. I'm still in the do not collect camp.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1185 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was talking to my LCS owner and he said that the Bullion ASE have also gone up. I picked up a few in 2018/2019 at $17.50, I doubt I'll pay less than $22 in 2020. At this point the Maple Leaf's at around $20 are making a lot of sense.
Pillar of the Community
United States
930 Posts
 Posted 01/04/2020  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Since spot Ag prices are up ~15% Jan 19 to Jan 20, I guess the ~15% price increase in the Ag coins is somewhat justified, but with inflation running ~2% the ~15% increases in base metal products seem unjustified to me.

In that case, the ASE increase is at least partially understandable, but the markup still seems high. Unfortunately, more price increases have been reported across the board.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10246 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  12:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess they're trying to see what the market can bear. With 15% hikes, they're likely to scare off a number of people.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1185 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just checked the prices and in some cases they are up over $25. I dont want to see how much gold went up. I have 2 coins on enrollment. I may reconsider one of them. I was planning on getting a few current ASE this year but Incan get prior years for less. I may do that instead.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess they're trying to see what the market can bear. With 15% hikes, they're likely to scare off a number of people.

Not necessarily. They may just drive their sales more towards big dealers which get a discount which ultimately makes their life easier and they would prefer
Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wyzeguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
They may just drive their sales more towards big dealers which get a discount which ultimately makes their life easier and they would prefer

Yeah but dealers are also going to end up raising their prices and if less people buy from them then the less dealers are going to buy as well. I actually hope that happens. Maybe that'll make the Mint reconsider next time they think of raising prices. This wasn't a typical price hike like last time. This was a "if you don't like it too bad" price hike.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10246 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

If operating costs went up 15% in one year, someone is not doing their job.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1185 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was at the Philadelphia mint and they had ASE from 2015 to 2019, the older ones were 46.95 while the 2019 was 55.95 , so the ASE went up $9 in 4 years. I'm ok with that much in 4 years. $8.50 in a year is not something that was expected.
Edited by hfjacinto
01/05/2020 3:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
930 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This wasn't a typical price hike like last time. This was a "if you don't like it too bad" price hike.

Quote:
I'm ok with that much in 4 years. $8.50 in a year is not something that was expected.

Exactly. These price increases will do nothing to reverse the trend of decreasing sales for many Mint products. After the ATB series wraps up next year, my only consistent annual purchase will be the mint set, assuming that doesn't climb out of reach too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1185 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm down to 2, the innovation dollar proof series and the S proof ASE, but the S proof ASE I might cancel and pick older dates for less.
Pillar of the Community
United States
854 Posts
 Posted 01/08/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
inflation, what are ya gonna do. Things cost more. LOL
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.9 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05