Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1944 Steel Wheat Penny Value? $$$$$ Help!

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,805Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1335 Posts
 Posted 01/05/2020  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either a specific gravity test or non-destructive XRF test would be enough to exclude some possibilities. Your local jewelry store or possibly your local coin shop could do an XRF test. You can do a specific gravity test at home, if you have a digital scale. Please let us know the results!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3198 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Does this sound right to you..." I have a coin that is value at (lets say) 100 thousand, but since we are friends, I'll sell it to you for 1 thousand. Just because I'm such a good friend and have enough money of my own"......
Pillar of the Community
United States
3484 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can I get a break if I take a dozen of them?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16546 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look like a plated copper 1944 cent to me, the reverse has the appearance of a poor quality Chinese fake.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
749 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Panther to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My vote is with Condor101, I have a Chinese CAST fake. It looks exactly like that. If you look close, you can see the grainy effect of being Cast.

Dan
United States
25 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bamagama to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry it took me a bit to get back! Thank you all for your quick insight, I'm still a newbie to this all. You all literally saved me from pitching in WAYYYY too much money for a total hunk of junk!
It was a total fake when I weighed it in person #128545;
So yes. No cabin in the woods quite yet!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13450 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes , that's why we are here . To help each other out .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
1862 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  10:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And we tell like it is. It saddens me to read so many people come on here and hope they won the coin lottery sadly almost all lose. You tube makes it sound like everyone can make a fortune finding error coins but there are so few coins that are valuable in the wild that your chance of winning the coin lottery is almost nill. You were one of the smart ones and didn't get taken.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2462 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with hfjacinto.

Education and knowing resources are your best tools. Let us help... if we can, we will!
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44584 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2020  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are side by sides of the fake and real examples:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
12 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RobertRansom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck and quacks like a duck.......or use Occam's razor.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,805Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05