Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Gonna Need Some Help With This One. 1909 V.d.b Wheat Cent Mint Mark Error?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,394Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  04:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Rayne7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've taken several photos from different angles trying to figure this one out. is it S mint mark under date, D mint mark under date, D/S mint mark under date? What do you think this is?

Bedrock of the Community
United States
37685 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No mint mark,it was minted in Philly.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  05:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rayne7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ok, then what do you speculate is under the 9 in my photos?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2069 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  05:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That would most likely be some type of die damage or PSD to the coin after it was struck.
Hard to tell which.
Words of encouragement are one of the major food groups. We need to consume them regularly to thrive and grow.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  05:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rayne7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
really....are you all even looking at the pics?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4979 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  05:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a very small gash under the date near the rim area, is that what you want us to look at? That appears to be post mint damage, but there is no mintmark, as already stated. Normal mintmarks are raised above the coin's surface just under the date, and your coin does not have a mintmark, sorry.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
18114 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  06:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would anyone really go to the effort to remove an 'S' mint mark on a VDB for this date?
Learn More...
United States
18606 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  07:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what do you speculate is under the 9 in my photos?

A small amount of circulation damage and Pareidolia.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2812 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  07:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree it's a circulation mark. It's too low to be related to an S mintmark.
Edited by Zurie
01/06/2020 07:44 am
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rayne7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, I know what a mint mark is and its usual location. ive seen several mint mark errors that are sometimes in the wrong place usually floating around the date area. but yes, I do understand about mint marks, lol let me post another pic highlighting what I'máseeing in the loop of the first 9 in the date. ..things look much different in real life.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2812 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  07:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, I see that you're talking about the mark in the 9. Is it raised? If so, maybe a die gouge, but still more likely a hit with displaced metal.
Edited by Zurie
01/06/2020 07:49 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CherryPicker1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what your looking at under the 9, but that's not even the right shape for a D mintmark, which they didn't have in 1909, and definitely not an S mintmark. I agree it's either PSD or a small die gouge.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2925 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on the photos supplied, I believe I'm seeing PMD--and I looked at each photo carefully. Would love to see the coin in hand but that isn't possible.

You do have a strong V.D.B. on the reverse--nice and distinct. Don't always see them that way. Decent coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
37685 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Either PMD or a die gouge, but not a misplaced mint mark.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
54658 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  09:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing under the 9.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3977 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2020  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nobodies stated the possibility of a dropped letter with circulation wear, so I wont....

I'm on team Spence with this one

to CCF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 1,394Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05