Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Have Experience With Ebay Seller "Sethscollectables"?

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, this post has been very informative for me. Thanks so much for the insights. I can now appreciate much better what an eBay seller has to deal with...clearly enough buyers have taken advantage of these guys that they become totally jaded. I recently broached the No Returns policy with another seller and he actually modified several of his listings to 14 day return, buyer pays return shipping. In the future, I'll stay mum on that and just consider what I'd be willing to pay knowing I couldn't return the coin...and that value will necessarily be lower than it would if that Return option was allowed.

I do feel bad that this seller reacted the way he did, and I attempted a conciliatory response, trying to honestly state my point of view. I definitely went a bit overboard at the end...figured maybe he'd reconsider his bid block. So far nothing.

Quote:

Hello. I want to sincerely apologize for offending you. That was not my intent whatsoever, and I can assure you I am not that "type of customer".

Please, allow me to clarify my line of questioning, which I see came across completely the wrong way:

I asked about the luster on this specimen only in hopes you could provide additional information, certainly not to hold you to it or use it against you in any way if the coin failed to live up to my expectations. I recently purchased a coin from a brick and mortar coin shop via their website. Before making the purchase, I called and spoke to their lead numismatist. I simply asked if he could tell me anything about the luster as sometimes it is challenging to discern from a 2-dimensional photo online. He indicated that the coin had frostier luster in hand. That's all, was just hoping to see if you had anything you could tell me about the luster when viewing the coin in hand.

Since you indicated the coin was in "as acquired condition", I was just curious about the coin's backstory. Maybe you have a coin shop, and a little old lady came in with an old coin purse that she's had in her closet for half a century, maybe you bought it at an auction in an old Whitman folder, or maybe you received it in change 30 years ago (as one seller told me about a 1926-S Mercury dime that I purchased last year). I just find it interesting to understand a coin's backstory and maybe it provides some insight as to the condition the coin had been stored in. That's all, I was not trying to be intrusive.

I am disheartened by your response and I see that you have blocked me from bidding. Again, my sincerest apologies for coming across as intrusive and ill mannered, which was not my intent in the least. I am hopeful that you can find it in your heart to reconsider and give me the opportunity to purchase this very nice specimen, which I would be proud to add to my meager Mercury dime collection if I was lucky enough to win it.
Edited by one_fine_dime
01/23/2020 12:20 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1744 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now you're just groveling! Seriously, you've been very respectful and courteous, and if he doesn't reply, there are plenty of other fish in the ocean.
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  10:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow, I guess it worked, he responded with the following this morning. This was a good lesson in eBay etiquette and choosing your words wisely when reaching out with questions. Thanks again for everyone's thoughts. Who knows, maybe I'll end up with the coin...ends Saturday afternoon
Quote:
Greetings, I have meditated on your reply. I respect your spirit as a collector, however I still reserve specific comment about the coin. One thing about my pictures.... I do not "re-touch" them, I post them as taken. In my opinion, you should trust your evaluation skills and not "second guess" them, as with any "intuitive" feeling. I will remove you form our blocked bidder list on the condition that if you bid on/win one of our auctions, it is with acceptance of our policies stated in the listing. A good day to you, Seth
Pillar of the Community
United States
1172 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Over all a great resolution. But if it was me, I wouldn't want to deal with either the seller or the buyer. There are lots of other places to sell or buy.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19059 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just one of the reasons I don't mess with ebay.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
7648 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  11:14 am  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
More for me.
Oregon coin geek.....*** GO BEAVS ! ! ! ***
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But if it was me, I wouldn't want to deal with either the seller or the buyer. There are lots of other places to sell or buy.

wait..I'm the buyer.

Yes, I've had some luck at brick and mortar stores that do online sales, but most coin shops in my area and my local coin show don't typically have much of a selection in my collecting area (early date branch mint Mercury dimes in AU and better).

I'd love to hear more about where you've had luck buying and selling.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1172 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's nothing against you. But put yourself as the seller, you get an email it's questioning your business practices that you probably do as a hobby and not a business. To sell something that probably you make $5 on each sale. It's just not worth the time/ hassle to reply. You as a seller want an "I'll take it" and nothing more.

Now as a buyer if I'm looking at something and iffy on it, I may have a question but for a common item I'm better off just buying it.

I have purchased a few things on eBay and my questions are usually is this new for a Dansco for example. For coins I just don't ask but that's because I have 4 LCS bear né and I can buy there. If I buy on eBay I expect to pay more than I can get it locally, there is a small chance I can get ripped off and 3rd the item isn't available locally so I'm more flexible in what I get.

It's not you, it's just my expectations of eBay are much lower than yours.

Valued Member
United States
259 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mail187man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My experience as a seller, I often notice that the people who ask the most questions up front are usually the ones that are going to find an issue in the end. I just ate the cost recently of someone who bought a rare a still sealed playstation game off me. They opened it, played it, and wanted a return for "damage" that would easily happen at the factory (there really wasn't any real damage). I had no choice but to accept the return and I now have a game that is worth about $60 less because someone wanted a free rental from me. In this instance, he was sending messages up front worried about the packaging and the price of the item. I also got to pay shipping 2 ways and paypal got to keep my fee money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7648 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2020  5:49 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've bought from Seth a couple times with no issues.
Bedrock of the Community
13014 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2020  12:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All a buyer has to do is to click the "item not as described" box asking for a reason for a return, and bingo! eBay automatically refunds on seller behalf. This has always been eBay's policy, this is nothing new. Sure, there are bad sellers just as there are good sellers, and there are good and bad buyers too. Regardless, the buyer is always right in a question if the item is "as described" or not.

This actually isn't entirely true or that true depending what is being sold and how and by who. That said it blows my mind why people would encourage buyers that they have an unethical return method is beyond me

Anyone who won't even look at eBay as a buyer is only hurting themselves and people presenting ways to try and scam the eBay method are not helpful
Valued Member
United States
483 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've bought from Seth a couple times with no issues.
This is super helpful 52Raymo! From "no issues", I take this to mean Seth's photos accurately represent his coins and you've had no surprises after the coin arrives. Based on this and the fact he is long-standing and seems reputable, I decided to risk it and bid on this "No Returns" coin. Not sure where you are in OR, but it looks like Seth is in Salem -- I assume you bought from him on eBay, not in person?

Quote:
That said it blows my mind why people would encourage buyers that they have an unethical return method is beyond me. Anyone who won't even look at eBay as a buyer is only hurting themselves and people presenting ways to try and scam the eBay method are not helpful

This is an interesting comment. I agree that there are lots of good buys to be had on eBay and therefore collectors should consider it as a decent venue for coin purchases. The "No Returns" seems to add risk though. As a rule, I wanted to avoid coins with this policy, but I now understand better why some sellers end up here (too much hassle with returns and losing money when it happens). The bigger houses (e.g., Great Southern Coins) know they can get higher bidding on most offerings that will likely off-set any fees incurred on incidental returns.

I ended up winning this coin for $127 (tax included...that seems relatively new on eBay too. Used to be only other NY sellers charged me NY tax, now NY even gets my tax when purchasing from a seller in a no sales tax state (Oregon)).

I think the coin was worth the $ based on the photos but this could be a test for me, if the coin doesn't live up to my expectations based on the photos, I may never buy from a No Returns seller again. By expectations, I mean full luster, not just in the areas where it happens to be evident in the photos per the angle of the lighting. My understanding is luster is directly related to grade. All things being equal, impaired luster will drop the grade compared to full luster.

Regardless of how good (or bad) a coin looks in hand after the fact, I believe a single obverse and reverse photo will only capture so much of what is or isn't there (e.g., luster).
Pillar of the Community
United States
1744 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just looked up the coin you bought. I'm not a fan of the spotty, uneven toning, but it does look mint state with FSB and decent luster. Let us know how it looks when you get it in hand.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1403 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  6:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jmkendall to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mail187man. That is my expericance as well. If you start getting a lot of questions from a buyer, 9 times out of 10 they are going to return it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7648 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2020  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Check 52Raymo's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 52Raymo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OFD...he's about a 45 minute drive from me, so eBay. I can't remember the coins I bought from him but don't remember any problems.
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.17 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05