Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2016 D LSC Double / Triple Clipped Planchet?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,424Next Topic
Page: of 2
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  10:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Abesbookie to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I found a 2016 D LSC I believe a triple clipped planchet , the issue is I can not find another example any where should I send it off to grading I know they have really made it even harder for these errors to happen and even harder for it to escape the mint. So I believe it is pretty rare and I am super happy to have found it just don't know much about it any help and info about it would be greatly appreciated I am happy to have it in my collection . Thanks everyone !

Pillar of the Community
United States
2095 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure that third would count but I've never seen a clipped shield cent. Very cool!

Also I wouldn't put a rush on sending it to TPG unless you are interested in selling it but it would probably sell for close to the same without the slab!
Edited by Willburton
02/04/2020 10:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5652 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  10:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see 2 for sure. Very cool find!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
2420 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Please remove from 2x2 and post close-up pics of clipped areas.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5187 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Viewing the reverse of your cent, IMO you have a double clipped cent at 1k and 11k, the third arrow (bottom section of cent) is the Blakley affect of the 11k clip......others?
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Pillar of the Community
United States
3463 Posts
 Posted 02/04/2020  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cwb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
with greasy fingers.
United States
31 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zgirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if it's ok to ask a question on another's thread, if not I apologize, but I have a few coins that have similar marks. How can you tell the difference between circulated damage and the ones like above?
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddyknuckles to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree greasyfingers saw the cent and instantly thought Blakeley for the "clip" above trust on the obverse. Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the assumption that for a clipped coin to carry any real value it it to be a substantial clip. Like the raw double clip struck on a fragment that I asked the family here about but missed because the big auction site didn't accept my card... Saw a similar one in the Heritage archives sold for around $525.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45100 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  05:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Abesbookie to CCF. Make sure to flatten the staples so you don't end up damaging other coins when you stack the 2x2's. Please remove coin from 2x2 And post close up pics of the clipped areas. Not worth sending in but it is a very nice find.
zgirl, to CCF. You need to start your own thread and include pics.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
113436 Posts
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 02/05/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Abesbookie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I thought the same about the third mark it is actually a sharp point coming out . And yes I have seen a clipped on on other year of LSC but on that is the only other on found any where since they reconfigured the planchet punching so much over the past years to attempt to make it impossible. On that thread it seemed the coin had been given ultra rare designation but that's why I was asking on here . Also I do think if it is a situation with a one of 1 it would make it substantially rare . But who know I know they usually are not rare at all and are extremely common in the pre 2000s coins so maybe just no one took the time to post their finds also lol. Anyway thanks for all the help I would rather not take out of the holder at the moment but will get the pics requested up soon . It is just a super cool find and one I think is amazing I found in circulated rolls .
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2021  06:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gorham_collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do u still have this coin?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45100 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2021  08:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a reminder, read the buy/sell/trade rules.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15165 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do u still have this coin?

Again, if you read the OP's profile, you would see that this is the only post he made.
Doubt if he is around to see t.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  4:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Abesbookie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I still have it. I have a very large collection and am constantly adding more I am a searcher I just don't post much because I am horrible at taking pictures lol. Thanks for all the feed back I will be on more from now on.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8965 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2022  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Viewing the reverse of your cent, IMO you have a double clipped cent at 1k and 11k, the third arrow (bottom section of cent) is the Blakley affect of the 11k clip..

Yep Greasy fingers nailed it perfectly
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,424Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: