Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1982 Lincoln Memorial Silver In Color?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 659Next Topic  
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  9:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 12Robico to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Helli I recently inherited a coin collect anf after weeks of searching ive think ive got something. 1982 steel penny I assume? Also if theres anyone who is willing to educate me on a few of the items I think I may have
-cody

Pillar of the Community
United States
2417 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, you know what they say when you "assume".

Your inherited coin is not a steel penny, it is a regular 1982 Large Date cent that has been plated in nickel or zinc, and a bad plated job at that. You can see the copper poking through on the reverse. Probably a high school chemistry class project.

Please feel free to post your other coins and questions you might have (Larger, cropped photos please)

to the CCF!
ša va bien aller
Valued Member
United States
251 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  10:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That probably is copper showing through but also looks like the light is reflecting off of the 2x2 plastic. I'd like to see that coin out of the holder with full obverse and reverse pics.
Edited by heavymetal
02/19/2020 10:15 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33588 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Please take the coin out of the holder,it needs a new one anyway and take pics again. Front and back and crop and rotate photos properly before posting. A weight would help also.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3433 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  06:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it magnetic?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3173 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks interesting, but we need the weight to the nearest .01 grams, may be missing the copper plating. What other types of coins were in this collection? to CCF
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44422 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is over 3.11 grams, then it is copper planchet that was plated over. ( PSD)
If it weights 2.5 grams it maybe an unplated zinc cent? (Mint error)
If it is over 2.5 grams, it maybe a surface added with a layer of zinc over the plated copper zincoln? ( PSD)
Can't be a steel cent as they haven't been used for years. (Since 1943 and the weight would be 2.7 grams)
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
86236 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
2417 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  6:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It could be rather than an over plating, that the copper plating over the zinc core has been striped or somehow escaped being copper plated at all (or partially plated?). As recommended, please take closer photos removed from the holder it's in, and if you can, please weigh it for us. Thanks.
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44422 Posts
 Posted 02/20/2020  8:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The real missing plating seem to have cartwheels.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 12Robico to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im sorry it has took so long to get back with you I will post pictures as requested when I get home.

A lot of Kennedy half dollars, 500 + wheat pennies 5 wartime nickels, a 43 steal cent, 15 canadian Pennies, 15+ different country pennies and dimes. 64 and 63 proof quarters. A few more but I cant seem to think.

It is 2.5 grams
Edited by 12Robico
03/20/2020 2:57 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44422 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it is an unplated zinc planchet. Better images would help a bit more. But it looks legit from what I can see. If it were a plated over copper plating, at the time there we a lot of zincolns that looked rough because they were plated over zinc dust. Well coating them with zinc over copper plating would still show the extra coating/plating.

Note this faked one. You can see the roughness of the zinc over the copper plated dust. But on your coin, I'm seeing smooth surfaces. So I feel it might be legit. But A closer view would be nice to see. (and if it is legit I could add more images to my educational files.
Richard S. Cooper

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2020  10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 12Robico to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hopefully this helps. I am New to the site please bear with me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 659Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.89 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05