Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2020 -W Proof Nickel

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,139Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1221 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  6:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The quality of this nickel doesn't come close to the quality of the S proof nickel in the set. The sub par sealed plastic bag doesn't help when trying to determine the grade of the coin due to the scratches on the bag but it is easy to tell the quality of the coin does not come close to it's cousin in the S proof set. The S nickel has a beautiful dark mirrored background. The W nickel is almost closer to mint state than proof. Does anyone else have any observations of this W nickel?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1939 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have photos?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1858 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My feelings are to never be the first to get something as the mint will generally screw it up, for something like this better to wait a few weeks until they figure it out.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48083 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We need pics!
Pillar of the Community
United States
6960 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey, LCS Employee here.

We had our shipment of proof sets come in the other day, they all seemed rather nice. No real issues. The cellophane was a bit rough, but the coins were intact and all DCAMs. You may have just got one from a bad batch.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: http://goccf.com/t/359443&whichpage=1
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8778 Posts
 Posted 03/05/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm watching these slowly drop in price. I think there will be plenty of them available for us set making people.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Edited by TNG
03/06/2020 08:55 am
Learn More...
United States
14418 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  01:42 am  Show Profile   Check Fuzzy317's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Fuzzy317 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here is the tutorial about uploading and posting images

And here is the CCF Free Image Optimizer to help crop your images.
And please preview your post/pictures to be sure the images are rotated correctly.
<---- expert of nothing, student of everything. My Coin Galleries
Here is: My Want List.... to work on my: Birth Year Set

Circulating Dollar Coins ......Circulating Half Dollar Coins ...... Circulating Two Dollar Bills
Pillar of the Community
United States
1221 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  08:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hard to take a good picture with a phone through the plastic. The coin looks good, but doesn't look as good as the S in side by side comparisons. Jefferson looks like he has a mustache but that is the plastic bag causing that shadow.
Valued Member
United States
106 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had no issues with my two sets and the west point nickels that came with them. I am pleased with both sets and the extra nickels.
Learn More...
United States
86473 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have not received my set yet. Hopefully the W-nickel is okay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1221 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Teach to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you people who have seen the W nickel would you say they look the same quality as the S nickel, less quality than the S or better than the S? My S nickel is DCAM 70 with a deep black mirror background. When I put the W next to the S there is a clear difference to the coins I received. No big deal, I'm keeping all of the coins, just wanting to hear what others are seeing. Thanks!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1858 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I've noticed is that the Proofs done at San Francisco look better than the West Point. I'm basically talking about ASE, but if the S ASE look better than the W ASE, I would assume all W products are not up to par as S products. Just my opinion based on a small sample of items.
Pillar of the Community
United States
821 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just got mine in the mail an hour ago. I can't see any difference (other than the mint marks of course) between the two nickels; both look great!
Naturally, there might be a very slight difference due to the light bouncing off the plastic and vinyl 'coffins' they are in, but I think if both are viewed once they both are out of their holders, they would be VERY similar.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1174 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  2:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadDog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got mine today. IMHO you need to take the coin out of the plastic baggie to get a good view or pic of the coin.

The coin isn't a PR70DCAM by any means (really not a fan of the frosting issue above Jefferson's right eye), but without seeing hundreds I'd be reluctant to say that it's a West Point issue versus San Francisco.

and the S proof for comparison (scratches and rubs are on the US Mint lens, didn't take the coin out)

Edited by BadDog
03/06/2020 3:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1939 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
IMHO you need to take the coin out of the plastic baggie to get a good view or pic of the coin.

And a little less light
Learn More...
United States
86473 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2020  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Got mine today. IMHO you need to take the coin out of the plastic baggie to get a good view or pic of the coin.
Looking good!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,139Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05