Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1991 Penny Error And Or Cud?

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 2,036Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Such a crazy error coin these guys are questioning mr. diamond! The best one I've seen on here in some time!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33626 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  04:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jewelman13,
My suggestion is to print out Mikes responses and keep it along with the coin. You may want to put the coin in an Air-Tite capsule.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5053 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  10:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Chase007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
these guys are questioning mr. diamond!

Wilburton,

Let's not forget that this is an open forum, and members are allowed to enjoy an open dialog and evryone is entitled to their opinion without gettin critisized, and the aim is not and should not be to proving one another wrong! this is how we all learn, as one member perfectly stated(this is a robust discussion, let everyone express their opinion without shutting them down!
Edited by Chase007
03/29/2020 10:20 am
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Show me another cud that's outaround, and where the edge is flatend. And on a cud where the die is broke, it goes all the way out to the rim. Look at this one at about 8:30 on the rev it stops short of the rim. Just my observations.
Edited by Cujohn
03/29/2020 1:27 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2875 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  2:43 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this is a legitimate cud as well.

This could be both a legitimate cud and damage. The rim dent can be purely coincidental or could be from a coin wrapping machine trying to wrap this slightly misshapen coin.

But it is also likely that the blank trying to fill up the giant void in the die created by the cud led to the blank bending towards the open space, leaving a crease or dent at the rim.

I do not see how damage could result in a complete loss of design without any signs of scraping or metal removal.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1244 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Willburton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't call anybody wrong chase. I'm guessing you were one of them. You have too much time on your hands to try to say that. I was simply stating he's got an awesome coin so awesome some are in disbelief
Edited by Willburton
03/29/2020 10:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1328 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  6:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mikediamond, Thank you!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44504 Posts
 Posted 03/29/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This maybe what Mike is referring to:
It was not a thick cud that broke off the die. Thus the term "spalled off"?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jewelman13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just want to say thank you for all the input and the education on this super cool cud. It's definitely in a 2x2 airtight sleeve for now. I might get it carded/graded if it's worth it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33626 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on 50 posts
Contest time?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 2,036Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05