Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Keeping Numismatics Alive During The Pandemic

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,738Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3435 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  5:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I just got a small ebay purchase today. It was sent from Toronto (I am in Ottawa), so at least some local numismatics is still alive. Meanwhile, my order from Portugal March 18 may well be in limbo.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way to do your part Oriole! I hope that Portuguese order shows up soon for you.
Learn More...
United States
86446 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, I just got a small ebay purchase today. It was sent from Toronto (I am in Ottawa), so at least some local numismatics is still alive.
Excellent!

Quote:
Meanwhile, my order from Portugal March 18 may well be in limbo.
Bummer.

I have been strolling down the aisles on eBay myself, but I it looks like I might not be buying anything until the silver proof set next Friday.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1853 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since I had a little bit of cash from things I sold, I've been on eBay. Lately prices are better than usual with people willing to negotiate.

I wanted to help local businesses but they are all closed :(
Learn More...
United States
86446 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wanted to help local businesses but they are all closed :(
Same here. Other than takeout and grocery pickup.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6272 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are advantages to pretty much being a shut in. Since I typically do not go anywhere, and my wife is a teacher now teaching from home, I am very thankful to say I have really not been personally impacted by this virus.

But I do empathize with those having hard times and pray things will get better soon for them. I think back to the stories my grandparents told me about the 1st Great Depression and am also thankful we are still much, much better off than in those days.

Hopefully this will be over soon.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3435 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, my small eBay order from Portugal arrived today, and I am almost a bit surprised. It left Portugal March 23, and for all I know it was the last plane to leave!

So that completed my silly little project, which is (or was) one silver and one copper coin from each year from 1801-2000. Eventually I will do upgrades, as some of those older coins are sacred (holey). I wanted this to be a fun project, not an expensive one.

Next on the agenda is to go backwards from the year 1801, but to make it more manageable I plan to get a single coin of any metal for each DECADE not for each year. Condition of the coins is not that important, as long as the date is legible. Probably I won't pursue this much until we get to "the other side" of this crisis.
Learn More...
United States
86446 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, my small eBay order from Portugal arrived today...
Excellent!
Learn More...
Canada
9077 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have actually noticed an increase in online sales from my eBay store - I think folks will always have the itch to collect... and I am happy to move the stuff out of my basement!! Interestingly enough, most of my sales are mailed to the US - the weaker Canadian dollar has created real bargains for US collectors of Canadian coins.

I have also noticed some recent auctions lately, for example, the Colonial Acres auction had very strong bidding on many items.

Vest-pocket dealers will survive, brick and mortar coin shops might take a tougher hit, but most I know already have an online presence, and some of them have increased their online activity lately (e.g., Alliance Coin & Banknote with their eBay auctions, here in Ottawa).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3435 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spoke (not in person) to a coin dealer friend and we kind of figure (maybe hope) that when the stores re-open then there will be a lot of pent-up demand to buy and sell. After all, all the coins stores are in the same boat. Yes you can sell on-line, but it is very hard to buy collections from the public on-line (in other words, buy wholesale), so the on-line dealers will eventually be running out of material to sell.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16995 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have often made the point that I like to closely examine each item before deciding to buy.
That means face to face with the seller.

Actually, this is more important to a dealer than myself, because his livelyhood depends on making accurate decisions, especially regarding condition and authenticity of everything he re sells, otherwise his business is down the drain.

Like lots of small businesses, they are rally hurting at this time. Potential customers like me don't, won't, can't, or are restricted by public edict from walking through the door.
To me, it is an inconvenience that I can't be actively expanding my collection, by travelling and meeting with dealers, and attending auctions and coin shows.

Much worse for the dealers.
Learn More...
United States
86446 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  12:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have often made the point that I like to closely examine each item before deciding to buy.
I used to be this way. It took a long time for me to make an online purchase. A couple of successful transactions with forum members helped nudge me towards giving eBay a try. Now the majority of my purchases are online.

One has to adapt to the differences from in person transactions, but is it not impossible to make the shift.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
New Zealand
785 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2020  05:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Our sales on Trade Me have been banned since lockdown began on March 26 and essential items only are being posted by NZ Post.

Fortunately several coins I bought around March 20th arrived 2 or 3 days into the lockdown - but then nothing, made up for it by my heavier presence here and on Numista's forum boards (Moneytane there).

Trade Me has all the auctions up and you can bid and add to watchlist, but no auctions closing or being sent until lockdown. I now have 22 coin lots on watchlist! Of course mostly Halfcrowns and Fijian coins which are my latest obsession.

The good thing is I am working and thus accumulating money to have a big coin buy up when lockdown ends!

A couple of auctioneers are finessing buy now so they can send as essential items, but their items are overpriced crap and they will eventually get found out and banned.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Valued Member
United States
131 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2020  11:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add collectorplay to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy Easter everyone! I have recently picked up a few coins buying off Ebay at a reasonable price. I noticed on some coins I was "Watching" that a couple of sellers of those have lowered their Buy It Now price some, maybe wanting to move them quicker. I totally understand and sympathize with those who have to pause for a season on buying, however this may be a good time to get some small deals from sellers wanting to move their coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1055 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2020  08:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've decided to put buying on hold for the time being due to the pandemic. My only guaranteed purchased for 2020 will be my Mint Set enrollment if/when it is released. However, I am using my extra time to continue the (seemingly) never-ending process of updating my inventory and pictures. And of course spending more time on CCF.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 1,738Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.76 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05