Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Do You Do When The Next Completed Sets Are Too Out Of Your Budget?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,182Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19317 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I well know about this situation. I've got well over 100 Albums and many are filled. Yet some may well never get filled. For examples my Sitting Liberty Dime Album, Large Cents, and actually several other Sitting Liberty coins. I'm really, really irritated with Album manufacturers for adding in slots for certain coins that most do not consider necessary to complete a set. For example that famous 1922 plain cent. Then there is that last page in most Dansco Albums with slots for nothing making it always appear to be incomplete. I once had a Folder with a slot for the 1913 Liberty Head Nickel but threw it away. To sum it all up, I just keep telling my self that this is just a hobby so let them go as far as possible and then move on.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1860 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Guys,

I just want to clarify, I have a few things I want to pick up, but my set collections (all years/all mint marks) seem to be winding down. When I really got back into collecting, I had a few things I wanted to complete and those are pretty much almost done, so unlike the previous sets, I have no new coins calling me.

Squirrel,

The large cents was crazy in what I found locally. I went to the LCS and asked if they had large cents, he shows me a box that wasn't touched in 20,30 or maybe 40 years. I opened it up and he had most of the coins other than the 1858 and a few I got from Gidgit. When I say the prices were good, they were. He had coins that cost 4-10X on ebay. I picked up the vast majority for $50. That one to me was an easy set (well Gidjit also really helped). That set would have taken me much longer if I had to buy the coins on Ebay. From speaking to the owner, no one had any interest in large cents until me... sometimes you get lucky.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like you should do some reading (or something) to see if you can find that new coin that will interest you. That is usually what happens with me I'm going through a book or video (try NNP). Eventually something gets in my head and I start investigating more and then bang I'm working on something new.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3491 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know if upgrading an existing set would be something you would be interested in? My Lincoln set started as a basic circulated set and then I started working my way back upgrading to uncirculated. Firs the memorials, then the wheats back to 1940, then back to 34, then back to 29 and eventually all the way back (haven't done the 14-D in uncirculated and may not). It did require me to save up for multiple months sometimes to buy a coin.

I've upgraded a few coins in my 7070 as well. Like you, I can't really find a "new" set that is calling me so I am treading water a little...
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add river4449 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I certainly think upgrades are a fine option, I've been doing that with a few of my 5 cents. There certainly is something to be said for using money for a few very nice coins vs multiple lower grade album fillers. Canadian dimes are easy enough especially if you're going relatively modern with them (KGVI and after).
regards, Jasper- "river4449"

PMs are open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4665 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consider a world set of your birth year.
If you're my age (78) there will still be some coins out of your price range.
BUT
You should be able to find ~95% of the coins struck the year you were born.
It's a fun collection.
I've been working on it for years and I don't worry about accepting lower grade items.

The hard ones to find are the ones that have very little collector value.
You may have to buy a small collection just to get the one date that you want.
The rest you can relist to maybe get your money back.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Learn More...
United States
86481 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  11:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What Do You Do When The Next Completed Sets Are Too Out Of Your Budget?
Hang out on CCF while allowing chunks of my coin budget shift into "coin savings."

It is how I afforded the Seated dollar I just got for the 7070.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about a genealogy collection?

Get the birth years of your parents. Then your grandparents. Continue as far back as you wish. Extend the family, aunts/uncles, cousins, grandaunts/ uncles, etc., as far as you wish. Do the collection in the coinage of each person's birth country.

So many options.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1860 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank for all the great ideas. Please keep the ideas coming!!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8781 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got into Exonumia and having a lot of fun in that area of collecting.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3391 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can combine what @bzookaj and what @kanga say.

I have a global (OFEC) for my birthyear, and indeed, circulated CuNi Iran and Afghanistan coins were among the toughest to come by (I could have found Iranian gold quicker).

Then I have these for the birthyear/places of ancestors:
1923 Philly set EF or better (my dad's year and place of birth)
1907 Philly set EF or better (my grandfather's immigration year and place)
1887 Russia (my grandfather's birthyear; no Poland coins issued, but he was under RUssian occupation)
1852 Russia, Warsaw mint (great grandfather's birthyear and place)

Edited by tdziemia
03/30/2020 8:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1022 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitationSquirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I almost hate to say it hfjacinto ..... you could come over to the dark side and get into notes. Maybe fractional currency.

Edited by CitationSquirrel
03/30/2020 3:32 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3437 Posts
 Posted 03/30/2020  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Others have suggested it, but I vote for world coins too. There are so many themes here: pick a country (or many), a year, etc. Consider exonumia-1001 ways to collect that too. I have gathered together an exonumia collection from my home town.

Collectors will always find something to collect.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3437 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just read a story about a woman who collects the stickers on bananas, and has for a number of years. She has quite the collection now. So while not quite numismatics, it is something to think about (?)
Valued Member
United States
176 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with one poster above to slow down. Evaluate your current sets that you have completed. Perhaps think about doing another set in a higher grade. Setting money aside to buy more expensive coins is another option. My LCS puts coins on layaway for me all the time. Some are quite expensive....stinks though when I go and just hand him money and walk out empty-handed, but worth it when you finally acquire a really nice coin like a CC Morgan dollar.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 30 / Views: 1,182Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05