Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question For Those Who Frequent This Forum About Shysters And Con Artists

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 818Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  2:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ShineOn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just curious, when you encounter a scam seller trying to push coins that are in average circulated condition (vg-xf) as "super rare" error coins in AU condition, what do you do?

I usually see them come up in a google search of something specific, usually posted on ETSY, trying to sell these low-value coins for thousands of dollars.

Do you post complaints with the site they're selling through? Do you report them to the FTC or similar governing body? Do you post comments to their posting saying they're full of *** Edited by Staff | The bad word filter is in place for a reason. Bypassing the filter and making the intended word obvious anyway is completely unacceptable. *** and should be ashamed of themselves?

How often do you think ignorant people actually buy these grossly overvalued coins for that kind of money?

For example:

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1442 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kena to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Money laundering always crosses my mind when I see this sort of thing.
CCF member Member Since: 07/27/2008
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3302 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ignore them and move on .
You will have NO Life trying to be An Internet Sheriff !
There are way more constructive things to do these days !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5164 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You know it's fraud. You know not to deal with it.

Just move on to a better place.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6754 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The best thing is just to laugh about it. and post pictures and links in our 'Worst Coins on eBay' topic!

I'm quite intrigued at the moment as I've just sold a coin on eBay to someone who is currently listing some really common UK coins for silly prices! I'm wondering whether he'll relist my coin on eBay for s ridiculous amount...
Edited by NumisRob
04/05/2020 5:06 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
784 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thousands of years ago people were being defrauded. Sadly, it's part of the human condition.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3430 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that Etsy is worse than eBay. Bobby and some others can get ebay to remove some kinds of listings, but simple grossly inflated prices are there to stay.
Valued Member
United States
105 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  11:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Part of the joy of collecting is the education. Part of the education is being able to spot the less than honest out there. More of that education is steering clear of those types. I have been blessed to have many good and honest sellers to work with, and even learn from. That is my focus, for there are more of the good than the bad.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13399 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Thousands of years ago people were being defrauded. Sadly, it's part of the human condition

Wow , I didn't know e-Bay was around thousands of years ago .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3565 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At least it IS an error, though a minor one. Its clearly a MAD. Something I would keep, but not really worth a lot.

As mentioned, what are you going to do about someone asking too much for something? Laugh and be done with it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19312 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just sort of human nature you know. Kind of like all those UNSEARCHED rolls of coins or similar.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16520 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  10:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And asking way too much for a coin is NOT fraud.

Quote:
How often do you think ignorant people actually buy these grossly overvalued coins for that kind of money?

Not very often, but it doesn't take too many for a decent income. If he can move one of these every 6 months that's $50,000 a year incomes, and as the saying goes there's a sucker born every minute.
Gary Schmidt
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  09:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Vindex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"A fool and his money are soon parter" Thomas Tusser. I think the most insightful comment was the idea that money laundering comes to mind. I have worked with clients in my tax practice who had fallen prey to various money con's. I try to be proactive with every new client. I tell them if it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

When engage equals enrage it is typically a sign that someone is attempting to scam someone. In my limited experience, I can share one encounter. An individual had posted 12 " Morgan silver dollars" for the price of $160. I saw it and thought there might be one nice variety in the mix and I could sell the rest for melt value. I asked if they were still available? Immediately the seller responded that they were. My next post was a simple question, do you have pictures of both the obverse and reverse? The reply was no, but he could take some. Then he said, he wasn't interested in having someone on a sight seeing trip. He has someone who wants them and was going to send him a postal money order. If I want them I could do the same. Still thinking this was a legitimate seller, I said I was interested and could give him cash that day. Then I gave him my reason for wanting the pictures or see them first, they were not all New Orleans minted coins as one of the dates was after New Orleans stop minting coins. ENGAGE - ENRAGE response. He went into a reply of what an idiot I was suggesting they were not all New Orleans minted coins. He then blocked me from any reply. Immediately I posted a query to the site controller to warn them of the potential scam.

Report when you are able. Some sites do not give you opportunity to do so. There may be a fool born every minute. Our friends, family do not have to be one of them when we help them understand that most opportunities do not have to acted on today. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. And if you evoke an enrage response by legitimate questions - RUN AWAY
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 818Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05