Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Mint Announces 2020 Innovation $1 Coins: Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, And South Carolina

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 579Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1411 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  7:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
US Mint - The United States Mint (Mint) today officially announced the designs for the 2020 American Innovation™ $1 Coin Program. The new designs will appear on the reverses (tails) of $1 coins honoring innovations and/or innovators from Connecticut, Massachusetts, Maryland, and South Carolina.

Mint Chief Engraver Joseph Menna created and sculpted the Maryland American Innovation $1 Coin design. Mint Artistic Infusion Program artists created the designs for the remaining 2020 American Innovation $1 Coins, which Mint Medallic Artists sculpted. Here's what the public can expect to see:

American Innovation - Connecticut
Designer: Richard Masters
Sculptor-Engraver: Renata Gordon
The Connecticut $1 Coin recognizes the Gerber Variable Scale. The design depicts the scale being used to increase a geometric shape by 200 percent, a shape that resembles the state of Connecticut. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "GERBER VARIABLE SCALE," and "CONNECTICUT."

American Innovation - Massachusetts
Designer: Emily Damstra
Sculptor-Engraver: Eric David Custer
The Massachusetts $1 Coin recognizes the invention of the telephone. The design depicts the dial of an early rotary telephone. Inscriptions are "MASSACHUSETTS," "TELE-PHONE," and "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA."

American Innovation - Maryland
Designer: Joseph Menna
Sculptor-Engraver: Joseph Menna
The Maryland $1 Coin pays homage to the Hubble Space Telescope. The design depicts the telescope orbiting the earth surrounded by a field of stars. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "THE HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE," and "MARYLAND."

American Innovation - South Carolina
Designer: Justin Kunz
Sculptor-Engraver: Phebe Hemphill
The South Carolina $1 Coin recognizes educator and civil rights activist Septima Poinsette Clark. The design depicts Ms. Clark marching with three young African American students who carry books and an American flag, representing that education and literacy among oppressed people are necessary for empowerment and enjoyment of civil rights. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "SEPTIMA CLARK," and "SOUTH CAROLINA."

American Innovation $1 Coins feature a common obverse (heads) design depicting a dramatic representation of the Statue of Liberty and the required inscriptions "$1" and "IN GOD WE TRUST."
Pillar of the Community
United States
1169 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting designs, I like them! The Massachusetts reverse is by far my favorite, though. Might have to pick one up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The Massachusetts reverse is by far my favorite
I also agree! Of the four types, the telephone (I believe) made the most impact to society in the past century as it brought quicker, cheaper, and easier communication possible to most of the country, if not the world.
I WILL be buying ALL four of these dollars none the less.

One other thing.....I do wish they will eventually be releasing the Innovation Dollars earlier in the future. At least it looks like we'll be able to get the 2020's in the year 2020!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2166 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm getting them also. Only 13 more years to get the rest of the series.
Pillar of the Community
United States
884 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  12:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
might actually pick up the hubble telescope
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34820 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to say that the entire series of the American Innovation™ $1 Coin Program is very nice and I like them all. The coins to me look more like art than a coin.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
88854 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are all nice designs.

While I am getting all the proof sets, I said a while back that I would only get a few of the ones I really like in reverse proof. They are making it difficult for me to say not to many of these in reverse proof.
Valued Member
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just "ordered" an enrollment of the reverse proofs. Now they'll just come automatically with free shipping.

Quote:
They are making it difficult for me to say not to many of these in reverse proof.

I'm dying to see that Hubble design in reverse.
Learn More...
United States
88854 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That and the rotary dial. I love my classic model 500 rotary phone. It is avocado green, of course.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are nice designs. Like most commenters I like the phone and NASA designs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 579Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05