Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sealed Boxes Of Seized Assets..bogus?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 713Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
815 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  1:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add basicbob101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From time to time I see advertized on TV coin sale shows boxes of "seized assests" of coins for sale at around $79 (the last example I saw). Supposedly unsearched sealed boxes that may contain silver coins, gold coins, pennies, who knows what.

Has anyone ever taken the bait and was it worth it or just bogus? Anyone with any insight into these type things?
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coin rejector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it an infomercial? Just out of curiosity, I'd like to check it out but can't seem to find anything other than IRS or seized property internet auction websites.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49487 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  2:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds suspicious to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5357 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"Pig n a poke" scam. Key words are "may contain".

Same scam stuff is sold on eBay in the "unsearched" coin lots we've all seen since eBay opened their doors over 20 years ago!

Buyer beware!
Learn More...
United States
26962 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If there were a chance that coins worth more than $79 were inside, they wouldn't be for sale. My FREE advice: pass on it.
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1123 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's the old, let the cat out of the bag scam - in Medieval Europe - people would buy a pig in a bag for a reduced price except they could not look inside the bag (Usually a hessian sack or something) and if they did often out would jump a cat!

Until the 1700s, cats were seen as plague spreading vermin, their skills at kiiling vermin were not known yet and the stringy flesh of a cat meant you could not really eat it - the Bible also forbade it.

My guess is if the boxes of coins contain silver, it will be worn and mouldy old dimes from the Roosevelt era and a lot of worn clad junk amongst it. If its $79 a box, once the cost of the informercial and no doubt gimmicky packaging (Probably some treasure chests graphics drawn on them) - you may find you have like maybe $20 worth of unsellable crud in it.

A Youtube channel called silver checker bought many mystery boxes that claimed to contain silver, gold and a 400 year old coin along with 4 V nickels and silver dimes.

The gold was some ridiculous gold foil banknote or $2 worth of specks, 4 very rough diamonds, the 400 year old coin was a worn half groat from Lithuania - The V nickels were all worn dateless and if a date 1900 or later.
The dimes were all 1940s Mercurys or Rosies and all were VG or worse - so basically they were a scam.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Learn More...
United States
16642 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2020  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Bedrock of the Community
United States
16777 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the Bible also forbade it.

The bible forbids eating cats?
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
1123 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  03:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anything with a cloven hoof or paws or something in Leviticus - not sure, lapsed Catholic/Jew here.
Loving Halfcrowns. British and Commonwealth coins 1750 - 1950 and anything Kiwi.
If it's round, shiny and silvery I will love it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1627 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2020  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Off-topic, but wanted to respond:

Quote:
The bible forbids eating cats?

Old Testament law forbade eating cats (among other things.) See Leviticus 11:27.

But, this was countermanded in the New Testament (Acts 10:11-16.
Valued Member
United States
177 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sagegirl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You must have been watching Chopper, he tries to sell those all the time.... I like buying grab bags or mystery box's but never off TV.
Pillar of the Community
United States
662 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2020  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sounds like something to avoid (both: buying anything from that seller and eating cats).
Edited by MrPink2018
07/10/2020 6:32 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19405 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2020  08:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The second I see that word UNSEARCHED I run, run, run.
just carl
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 713Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05