Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Modern Coins Key Dates

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,279Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1422 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  01:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For Lincoln Cents, I'd add:
1917 DDO semi-key (condition key above VF)
1946-S S/D semi-key
1955 DDO semi-key
1958 DDO (major rarity, 3 currently known)
1969-S DDO (significant rarity,<40 currently known)
1972 DDO semi-key

For Buffalo nickels, I'd add:
1916 DDO
1918-D/1917-D DDO

There may also need to be a discussion of condition rarities. The 1921-S and 1926-S Buffs above EF are prime examples.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1099 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CollegeBarbers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That raises an interesting question. Are varieties considered key dates? I would argue no, because they're not separate dates, but rather varieties of the same date. Unless that date was already a key date, then its varieties would be too. I suppose it's all subjective. Fortcollins has a good point about condition rarities as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1980 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't consider error coins a key anything. I don't collect them, but many people do but I wouldn't consider them needed to have a complete set.

Of the coins listed the vast majority are doable to the average collector, the sets listed are actually affordable to complete.

The 1916 Standing quarter is one that limits the completion of the Standing Liberty quarter, at $2000 for a G it's just not doable to the average collector. That one is a true key.
Pillar of the Community
5119 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  10:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add USSID18 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For most of us (I'm guessing) especially me, the key dates are the coins I need and don't have.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron!

In Memory of Tootallious March 31, 1964 to April 15, 2020
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2020  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DiscoLover82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What about the four different 2009 Lincoln cents? They're still obviously pretty new, but I'd imagine a lot of collectors went after them right away and the mintage figures themselves are anomalously low.

I'd also nominate the 2009 Roosevelt dimes, which stopped being made at the end of April that year!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1422 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2020  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not a fan of contrived scarcities, like the West Point quarters. I can't bring myself to include them on any list. JMHO.
Valued Member
United States
196 Posts
 Posted 06/16/2020  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jason39305 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 nickels are pretty hard to come by. I have never found one in change.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 1,279Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05