Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question On The Various Coins One Can "Stack" For Silver Content....

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 625Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So I have a question and I hopefully can get a few answers. I already asked a few fellow collectors but wanted the general "consensus" or not of the community.

Does it make a difference what silver to stack? I'm not a stacker but my local coin shop is opened and he sells all silver dimes at the same price. Since the Mercury dimes and Roosevelt are the same price does it make a difference which one to get?
Edited by hfjacinto
05/28/2020 2:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4097 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  1:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it were my choice I would prefer the mercs just because I think they look cooler and are more fun to have as a numismatist

I would also think that they would provide more value than a silver roosie would if the price of silver were to crash. Similar to how wheat cents are worth a bit more than, and are more desirable than copper memorial cents

You could make the argument that you technically may get less silver with the mercs as junk mercs tend to be much more worn than junk roosies, but I think the difference is negligible when were talking about the volume any retail buyer would ever get
Edited by Adam_E
05/28/2020 1:10 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it were my choice I would prefer the mercs just because I think they look cooler and are more fun to have as a numismatist

I would also think that they would provide more value than a silver roosie would if the price of silver were to crash. Similar to how wheat cents are worth a bit more than, and are more desirable than copper memorial cents

In general, for the most part, the older the better. If they offer Barbers (for the same price), take Barbers. If they offer Seated Liberty dimes... yeah.

(Seated Liberty is unlikely, of course, but I could imagine Barbers from a sufficiently uninterested place.)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In general, for the most part, the older the better. If they offer Barbers (for the same price), take Barbers. If they offer Seated Liberty dimes... yeah.

(Seated Liberty is unlikely, of course, but I could imagine Barbers from a sufficiently uninterested place.)

This is what I think also, and while there are a few barbers in the pile, the condition is pretty bad. The Mercury dimes, are at that not terrible condition. Here are samples.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8844 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  2:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Even a worn merc is pretty. I hope someday the Roosevelt changes. that would also make stacking mercs a better bet.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
United States
4097 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  2:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just out of curiosity, what x face are they asking?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what x face are they asking?

For the last 2 years it was 12-13X face, but its jumped to 15X last few weeks.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3491 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
silver content of BU Roosevelts vs VF Mercuries is likely a few % more. AG dimes may have lost 10-15% of their weight. Some day I will do a proper study, but this is what I recollect from a test that I did a few years ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1883 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  02:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratman4762 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin collector in me prefers the older stuff, But.....take three plastic dime tubes, fill one each with (average circulated) 50 rosies, 50 Mercs and 50 Barbers. You will find that the tube with the Rosies will hold 51 or 52, Mercs probably 53-55 & Barber 57-59 (or more). Your paying a good bit more for an ounce of silver if you're buying the older stuff. If you're strictly trying to stack silver, than the less circulated, the better. Me personally, I'm buying anything I can get at or below melt and letting the coin collector in me go at it. (found keys and semi keys in my purchases at below melt).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3972 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  06:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Does it make a difference what silver to stack?
We need to know why you're stacking. If it's for shtf, stack the mercs. Most people won't know the difference between a silver or clad Rosie...and don't confuse them with dates.

There's no mistaking a silver Mercury dime.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
We need to know why you're stacking. If it's for shtf, stack the mercs. Most people won't know the difference between a silver or clad Rosie...and don't confuse them with dates.

what is SHTF?

As to why I'm stacking, I don't think I am, I'm not a stacker (per se), I work in finance, investing in PM is a pretty bad investment, even as a hedge against inflation, this is a long term risky bet. So I'm picking up silver coins because I like them. If they go up in value, they go up. If they go down, I don't have thousands tied up.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1991 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  5:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what is SHTF?

Stuff hits the fan
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3972 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  10:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As to why I'm stacking, I don't think I am, I'm not a stacker (per se), I work in finance, investing in PM is a pretty bad investment, even as a hedge against inflation, this is a long term risky bet. So I'm picking up silver coins because I like them. If they go up in value, they go up. If they go down, I don't have thousands tied up.
Agree, not a good investment yet a percentage of physical PMs are recommended for a balanced portfolio. The rest is digital or paper. Bad hedge? Over 50 years ago a silver quarter would buy a gallon of gasoline. The value of that same silver quarter will, in many locations, still buy a gallon of gas (here it would buy over a gallon and a half).
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
But your looking over a 50 year time frame. If you purchase silver in the 80's and sold it now you would lose money. Yes silver is a bad hedge. Using any 2 points in time one can make it look bad or good. On average PM Have fluctuated from high to lows to 20 years of stagnation.

Heck if you purchase silver from 2011-2013 and sold it now you would lose money. I know you'll say you'll take it with you, but what happens when you need it? Hard to guarantee what it's price will be. If after paying your bills, saving for retirement and having a cushion to live on for a few months, buying PMs can make economic sense. But being in debt and buying silver , oh well I'm not a financial advisor so you do what's right for you.
Edited by hfjacinto
05/30/2020 12:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3972 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But your looking over a 50 year time frame. If you purchase silver in the 80's and sold it now you would lose money. Yes silver is a bad hedge. Using any 2 points in time one can make it look bad or good. On average PM Have fluctuated from high to lows to 20 years of stagnation.

Heck if you purchase silver from 2011-2013 and sold it now you would lose money. I know you'll say you'll take it with you, but what happens when you need it? Hard to guarantee what it's price will be. If after paying your bills, saving for retirement and having a cushion to live on for a few months, buying PMs can make economic sense. But being in debt and buying silver , oh well I'm not a financial advisor so you do what's right for you.
The value never changes. Your mistake is that you're measuring PM value in fiat dollars, which is negligible.
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
1987 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The value never changes. Your mistake is that you're measuring PM value in fiat dollars, which is negligible.

HMMMM... so what am I supposed to measure it in? Rocks, the number of chinchilla's I get for an ounce of Silver? What I can barter for it? Sadly why you believe fiat currency is "negligible", its the unit of transfer now. So having fiat dollars or silver or random electronic bits that translate to dollars, that's all there is. Try to go out and buy a steak with your silver... IT CAN'T BE DONE EASILY. There needs to be an intermediary to facilitate that transfer in this case fiat dollars.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 625Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05