Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884 CC Morgan Guess The Grade Of The Newest Acquisition #3

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 647Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  11:57 am Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I took the advice given here and did not go after the questionable 64, and picked this graded one up instead.

Only problem with this one is it is off center in the slab if that helps you in your guess.

Pictures are much better on this, what grade say you?

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Edited by farrider11
08/06/2020 11:58 am
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50427 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say solid 65+, but reverse holds it from anything higher.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
453 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is MS65 but no higher.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While were here, with this coin being WAY off center in the slab, is that something PCGS would correct, or do you think you have to pay for a re slab?
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  1:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm on board with 65+ as well.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say 65 nice coin. Also I can not zoom in enough on my phone to see the die cracking and clashing but some VAM for sure
Pillar of the Community
United States
6576 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK guys - I typically decide what I think the grade might be and then look at your posts to see how I am doing in relationship to the normal guys who post in these threads.

So far I am pretty much spot on with the general concensus.

But please educate me on this one!

How can the large scuffing on the neck area, smaller scuff in the field to the left of the neck, marks allover cheekbone and cheek, hits here and there in the OBV fields, and then hit fields to left and right of the eagle on the REV make this one a MS65?

I have to be missing something! My first opinion was 63 due to all the above.
- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9346 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks like it's rotated in the slab but I'm not picking up on the off-center.

I'm in the MS65 crowd. Good pass on that last one...
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2340 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Only problem with this one is it is off center in the slab
The chin holds it to MS-64+ for me
Pillar of the Community
United States
2279 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  2:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheek is very clean, great luster, I'd say a solid MS-65.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
354 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  2:44 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Make it interesting, here are the microscope pictures.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2020  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The obverse fields are fantastic. It's hard to get a feel for the depth of the scuff on Liberty's eye. The scuffs on the cheekbone are noticeable, but not deep. The obverse is a solid MS-65, likely 65+. I can't reach a technical 65 with the reverse, though. There's just too much chatter above and below the eagle's left wing (our visual right) for my comfort. I think the reverse is MS-64. On a purely technical basis, I'd net the coin to MS-64+, with an eye appeal adjustment upward to MS-65. Same result, different and more meandering route.

EDIT: This coin is also better struck than the other one, and probably would be an old school Gem BU SPL. Nice coin! You did well here. Glad you went with this one.
Edited by fortcollins
08/06/2020 11:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4189 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS 65
Pillar of the Community
United States
984 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at MS64. Looks better that a 63, but not quite 65. Grading is alway difficult using photos. Best to have the coin in hand.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4156 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2020  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Obverse is 66. Reverse might hold it to MS-65 but darn the torpedoes I'll say 66!
Pillar of the Community
United States
9150 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
breast is a little weak for this year. I cant see this one at MS65. I'm at MS64. too much chatter on the entire profile from the eye down to the neck and marks all over the reverse fields. in fact if it didnt have decent luster I would go with MS63+
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 647Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05