Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1882-O Morgan Dollar - You Vs NGC

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 736Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  7:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked this up at a decent price last weekend. Beautiful Morgan with great cartwheels. The holder is scratched up quite a bit, especially just above LIBERTY. I'm thinking it may be a bit under-graded. Maybe a candidate for a CAC submission?

"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" R.W. 1975

Mark from the metropolis of Portage, PA
A.N.A. #3206350
Edited by Wideglide
08/08/2020 7:41 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
359 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Check farrider11's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add farrider11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Based on what I see MS 66 *. The pictures are not the best.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50453 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can we get a little more light on the obverse fields?
Valued Member
Canada
74 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MathMan27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm new at this, but I would say MS-65. Not a lot of bag marks on this specimen.

Nice strike too.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can we get a little more light on the obverse fields?

I'll see what I can do tomorrow - I have crappy lighting indoors.
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" R.W. 1975

A.N.A. #3206350
Pillar of the Community
United States
4189 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2020  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Adam_E to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Luster looks pretty dull, I'm at MS-64+
Pillar of the Community
United States
3494 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at 66.... (new photos)
Valued Member
United States
317 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
based on the pics ill say MS-65 maybe higher depending on what new pics show
Pillar of the Community
United States
2289 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  01:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say MS-64. Looks pretty mark-free, but based on these pics, I don't think there is enough luster to warrant a higher grade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4156 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63 to MS-64 range. I'll say 63+ but that could improve to 64 with more detailed photos.
Valued Member
United States
128 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the cartwheel is there like you say...then I'll say 66
smat
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wideglide to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few more I took outside today.

Here is the seller's Obverse pic, the Reverse was too small and dark.

A.N.A. #3206350
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one. Typical soft New Orleans strike.

The obverse has several very small contact marks on the cheek, hair above the ear, date, and neck. There is one more noticeable mark on the cap below the ribbon. I'm at MS-65 on the obverse.

The reverse is really nice. I can't see any distracting marks, and very few overall. I'm at MS-66 on the reverse.

I see the net at MS-65+.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9406 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2020  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My first thought was MS64 but after seeing all the pictures? MS65.
ANA #R3154474
Pillar of the Community
United States
5266 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  01:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jaobler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Marks are few and the soft breast feathers are probably strike weakness. The cartwheel may be strong in-hand but most of the photos show less than gem-quality luster. The cheek looks dull, maybe from "thumbing".

These photos don't show the "pop" I'd expect from a gem Morgan dollar. Maybe I'm just cranky but I'm thinking MS-63 or even a details grade due to altered surface.

Pillar of the Community
United States
834 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think the pics are doing it justice, I think there's some luster hiding. As stated, soft strike, but not bad. I'll be at MS-65. I feel depending how it looks in hand though. Could be a 1 point swing either way.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 736Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05