Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Determining Which Grading Service Should Get Which Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 573Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
3104 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  09:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I will be breaking up a couple of raw sets soon, including a 7070, and sending off a good chunk of the coins to grading services. I'm not thrilled about paying a bunch of extra money to get the coins in plastic. However, with my past experience of buying/selling, I have found that various coins will have an easier time selling and at a stronger price once slabbed. I know....it's dumb....it's still the same coin in a 2X2. For some coins, I will leave as raw. Also, when showing the coins to local dealers, generally speaking, the debate of coin grade is largely abated (but I do realize that's not always the case, but the plastic does provide a bit more power to the argument given their grade).

I'm curious to see what you guys think about my system of determination and what you might do differently.

Even as I type this post, I can hear the groans of why does he need to put it in plastic?! And, I hear you. I will be probably trying to be more constrained to put coins I would have once thought need to be in plastic and leave it raw.

Raw: Value $50, no brainer. Depending on how common and if minor grade difference don't change the value much, coins up to about $200 or so.

ANACS: Non-gold value over $100-$300 for common type coins where minor grade differences won't change the value much. Common gold coins up to $1000 in value.

PCGS: Value $150+ for coins with sensitive grading valuations and those that are a bit more scarce, especially Proofs. For instance, my AU 1883 and 1887 3CN will be sent here since they need to be confirmed as business strikes (for which I do believe they are) and the buying public puts a bit more trust in this plastic.

NGC: All the rest.

I'm a member of the ANA so I have direct privileges with NGC and I would join the Platinum level with PCGS. ANACS is local to me, so I will try to save on shipping by delivering and retrieving coins directly (esp. once shows start happening again).

Once all the grades are in, then I will decide which coins should go out to CAC. Again, more money, but for certain higher end types, this can prove to be very beneficial on the selling end.
Specializing in 2-3-20 cent pieces and 19th Century Proofs
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2390 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think your logic makes sense. I finally broke down and sent a few coins to Anacs to see more how my grading is. If it's good, I have a few RAW IHC that I might get slabbed.

Personally I don't understand slabbing everything and cacing every thing but there are instances when it makes sense.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4860 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm VERY pro-TPG.

Why (in order of importance to me)?
-- 1. Verification of authenticity.
-- 2. Verification of originality.
-- 3. Verification of grade

Anything I believe will value at $200 or more will get slabbed.
Anything I pay more than $150 for will be bought already slabbed.

Order of TPG preference:
-- 1. PCGS (already slabbed coins and raw coins requiring variety identification)
-- 2. NGC (already slabbed; I'm an ANA member but I have issues with NGC which is why they are not tied with PCGS.)
-- 3. Others - ANACS, ICG, SEGS, PCI, etc. (I will buy $50-$200 coins from these TPG's if I can't find them in PCGS or NGC slabs. )
-- 4. Raw coins <$50 will remain raw.

One factor for all the above is I'm older and will probably pass on before my wife.
If that's the case I intend to die with my collection intact.
All this slabbing will make it easier for her to convert to cash.
If she passes on first, well ...?

And I don't pay to have coins CAC'ed but I will buy CAC'ed coins if they cost about the same as non-CAC'ed coins.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Edited by kanga
08/10/2020 10:12 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8975 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  10:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have only sent maybe 25 or 30 coins to get graded and they were all sent to ANACS because I took them to a coin show during a special summer offer and an ANACS representative at the show took them from there saving me half the shipping and insurance. I found that ANACS results were disappointing on about 30% of those coins, generous on another 20% and suppose I agreed on the rest. It was cheap to do it this way but the better coins got the lions share of my disappointing results.
Funny too, how a certain series coins got hammered critically and others were more forgiving.
I suppose that different series go to different graders?
The grades I received make little difference to me, I still like the coins.
I have to be honest, I did like the generous grades.
I sent them just to make sure those coins didn't get lost in the shuffle if there was a sale at some point. The slab would tell somebody it was a noteworthy coin, that there was something special about it. I bet if I resubmitted a few elsewhere I would get a better grade.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35528 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my two cents : if I am going to keep them I would use ANACS. If I am planning on selling them soon,PCGS. I know that each company kinda specializes in certain series,but I don't remember which is what .
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
7402 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Non-gold value over $100-$300 for common type coins where minor grade differences won't change the value much. Common gold coins up to $1000 in value.

I agree in general, but stuff like common G$20 can go ANACS as well as there isn't much of a price difference.

Quote:
PCGS: Value $150+ for coins with sensitive grading valuations and those that are a bit more scarce, especially Proofs. For instance, my AU 1883 and 1887 3CN will be sent here since they need to be confirmed as business strikes (for which I do believe they are) and the buying public puts a bit more trust in this plastic.

NGC: All the rest.

Yup.

Quote:
I would join the Platinum level with PCGS

Or. If you want, I can let you piggyback on my PCGS account and save you the money.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3104 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Or. If you want, I can let you piggyback on my PCGS account and save you the money.

GrapeCollects, that's much appreciated. I know of a number of dealers in my area (although I haven't talked to any of them in many moons now) that I could probably (ab)use of that privilege as well. I probably would still set myself up with Platinum Level due to the number of coins that I would want to send in over multiple shipments. Also, my paranoid and impatient side can be a bit more mitigated by directly dealing with the shipments.
Did someone mention 3CN?
Pillar of the Community
United States
7402 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds good Prethen!
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
826 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with John1. Simply because of cost if for my own collection, PCGS because of their track record when time to sell. Almost always more than the others of the same grade.
ANA member
PAN Member

there's no problems only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1860 Posts
 Posted 08/10/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pertinax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I prefer raw coins. I wouldn't actively buy slabbed coins but I've got a few because they came in mixed lots where was something raw I wanted.

However, the most valuable slabbed coin is probably worth $30.

Why would someone get a coin of low worth slabbed ?
Life Fellow, Royal Numismatic Society

My wants list: http://goccf.com/t/283145
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19582 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate slabbed coins. I never keep them in slabs if I buy one. I don't collect plastic, just coins. I think to many people are just slab happy.
just carl
Valued Member
United States
100 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2020  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Suomi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say ANACS for the infrequent senders of coins in the sub 300 dollar range, and PCGS and NGC are equal unless the coin has a huge jump in price to the next higher MS grade, which I would then send to PCGS.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16933 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  05:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Even as I type this post, I can hear the groans of why does he need to put it in plastic?

I no longer groan over this any more. I have just come to accept that a great many if not most collectors no longer trust their own judgement and need their hand held.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
3104 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  08:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I no longer groan over this any more. I have just come to accept that a great many if not most collectors no longer trust their own judgement and need their hand held.

Conder, I completely disagree with you on this, as it relates to what I'm doing. I'm not getting them graded because I need to know the grade, I'm doing so to maximize selling potential and ease of transactions. I've been and seen too many situations where collectors/dealers will waffle at grade differences (small and large) and the plastic in most cases will settle the argument (but not always). Plus, the N/P plastic normally nails down any issues in the mind of the buyer if the coin is "good for the grade". To be a bit more blunt, in some cases, if you don't put it in plastic you can be leaving a lot of money on the table. You might have incredible relationships and deep trust with all the people you transact with...that's not the norm.
Did someone mention 3CN?
Edited by Prethen
08/12/2020 08:49 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16933 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2020  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My comment doesn't necessary mean you are getting them graded because you don't know the grade, but it makes them easier to sell because the BUYERS need their hand held. They don't have the confidence in their own opinion to put their money behind it with out having someone else's opinion (which could be wrong) to rely on. I base my purchase decisions on my opinion of the coin and it condition and whether or not it is worth to me what the dealer is asking. Not what he calls it, not what anyone else calls it. And if I have any doubts I will pass. If my opinion later turns out to be wrong I will take my lumps for it because it was MY choice. And if you can't be absolutely sure in your own mind that a coin is a particular grade without someone else telling you it is, then you shouldn't be buying it.

Just my personal opinion.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 573Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.06 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05