Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2008 P Nickel, Possible DDO?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 368Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
200 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  1:03 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It's probably just MD or Die Deterioration (on only 1 side of the devices), but no harm in checking right?

Either way, it looks pretty interesting. Too bad there's 2 big half circle scratches on the obverse. I found it in a coin roll yesterday.

The glare from the light, is on the left side of the coin. Once I turned the lamp off, in the last few pictures, the glare shows up as a brighter red color from the overhead lights and TV when the cellphone camera flash went off.

It looks doubled along BERTY and right side of the L in Liberty, the top of the P mintmark, the top of the Date and inside both of the 00's.

Edited by Grelko
08/13/2020 1:09 pm
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  1:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DDD.
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haha, yeah that's what I figured it would be.

Anyway, here's another picture for you to check out.

Edited by Grelko
08/13/2020 2:27 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35525 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like MD and or DDD. The scratches are from a coin counting/wrapping/vending machine damage.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a question though.

In the last picture I posted, if everything shifted a tiny bit more to the left (for example, BERTY in Liberty, especially the Y), then it would show two completely separate devices, but still be considered MD or DDD?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35525 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would still not be a DDO.
John1
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46184 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First coin is coin wrapper damage on the obverse. Face value on all of them. Not a doubled die. On a doubled die the devices will be enlarged, not reduced:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  6:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahh I see.

My coin "looks" doubled, but if I turn it on its side, the small areas that look doubled are almost flat against the coin.

On an actual double die coin, when turned on its side, the doubled devices would be the same height coming off the coin as the actual device itself. Same as it shows in your first picture of the word TRUST.

Is that correct?
Edited by Grelko
08/13/2020 6:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6583 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a question though.

In the last picture I posted, if everything shifted a tiny bit more to the left (for example, BERTY in Liberty, especially the Y), then it would show two completely separate devices, but still be considered MD or DDD?

A doubled die coin is made from a die that had the image/device engraved twice on it and therefore you have a double image on the coin (sometimes the images overlap and are noted just as extra thickness).

Therefore the degree of MD or DDO cannot somehow "make" a coin into a doubled die.

DDD is from the die wearing out with use. Remember the die is matal which moves, under high pressures, metal to conform to the design of the die - hence the die deteriorates after time.

MD is when the die striking the planchet is loose and therefore "bounces" upon the strike. A doubled looking device results where the "doubling" is a somewhat smeared out shelf-like area that people mistake as an actual doubling.

- When I value " being right" more than what IS right, I am then right...a fool.
- How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
- Prosp long and liver.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46184 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are 9 different classes of doubled dies. So the spread can be different from class to class.
http://goccf.com/t/363026
The above thread will help you to identify the different die classes.

But a doubled die is created on the die. The hub process to create the die could be slightly out of rotation between the hub processes, higher or lower out of alignment, warped hub issues, used a different hub that was fresher/older causing miss alignment. But it not an issue of being higher, just wider and taller/wider from normal. On the last class 9 doubled dies, they are single squeeze dies. So the hub is started to create a new die and because of miss alignment, the kiss happens and they it snaps into the correct position. Thus the centers of the die can be affected on these. Sometimes they are hub a second time (which is not supposed to happen) and it creates a doubled die like the older style multi-hub dies. Of on the doubled die you will see a spread on the older setup dies and on the single squeeze dies, the device will be larger, but distorted. They look like a bicycle tire that has too much air in them.

So it the normal devices are affected by Machine Doubling, they are reduced in size on the outside edges of the devices. On a doubled die, the devices will be enlarged.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
08/13/2020 6:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you everyone for the pictures, information and links.

I was literally trying to find coins that looked almost exactly like the 1955 Lincoln cent this whole time. I saw my 2008 P Nickel earlier and thought that it looked like the 1955 cent and that's why I posted it.

Seeing that there's so many different types of Double Die, it makes me wonder how many coins I've tossed back into circulation over the years that really were DDO/DDR.

I will get the hang of this eventually, now that I finally know what to look for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3546 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  02:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not every coin is an error coin. Machine Doubling is fairly common, thus, no premium.

ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
United States
35525 Posts
 Posted 08/14/2020  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Grelko,
Here is a link to the 9 classes of doubled dies http://errorvariety.com/
John1
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 368Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05