Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 P Lincoln Cent Mule Clash

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 445Next Topic  

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  7:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CentHunterJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone. I am pleased to announce that my new phone FINALLY arrived! I had to get a kinda extra sweet one so it would be compatible with my DJI Mavic Mini Drone. Had to meet all sorts of requirements to even download the app! So after literal weeks of online searching and a particularly long shipment, I finally got it. 13 megapixels of wonderous die crack seeking photography thunder! Now I just have to learn to unleash these fiery pixel grainules to seek and destroy. But even with my newb skill set, it does pretty good! I just can't believe my old Galaxy was as bad as it was...

Anyway, to the coin.

I really think this one should be a fine contribution to the coin collection community. I say this because this one has just a bit more Clash features present than the other 2 I've seen online. It helps show what was going on with the dies when they clashed. As far as the alignment goes anyway. If you look through the words "One Cent" you can see a long going upward to the east. That's the bottom of the Lincoln Memorial. On the right you can see the just about the whole side edge of the building. Unfortunately even with my new phone I couldn't capture it all the way, but it's there. And there are small remnants of the second clash at a different rotation as well. If you're familiar with the coin you can probably somewhat see the clashing on the edge behind United that is the major part of the other examples. Anyway, let me know what you guys think. I'm thinking of kinda highlighting the clashes with some neon for reference when I get the time too.

Learn More...
United States
17348 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@chj, the new pics look pretty good! I'm not sure why you think this is a mule though.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentHunterJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1751 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty good photos--a bit more in-focus might help. Checked the error-ref link. Given the photos posted I'm not seeing what's referenced in the link--at least in the vicinity of UNITED. Let's see what others think. Interesting.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2455 Posts
 Posted 09/25/2020  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

I'm not seeing a match between your coin and the Error-Ref coin. The letters on the Error-Ref coin are large and well defined. I think it may just be Die Deterioration and some circulation damage.

EDIT: I did an overlay of the Error-Ref coin to show the alignment of the clash. It may help understand what to look for if searching for this Mule Clash coin.

Click on the photo for a larger image
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Edited by Yokozuna
09/25/2020 9:20 pm
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentHunterJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey yokozuna, that's crazy. Thanks for the help! After seeing that one, I do think I have it. In the first one I found. I'll get pics up Ina minute. It's been in a 2x2 for a few months.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  02:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentHunterJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I pulled it out and tried to get a couple decent photos. So here they are. You can probably see why I was kind shocked when I saw your overlay.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2455 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  03:49 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may be that the pictures aren't quite clear enough to show the clash, but I'm still not seeing it (I do need new pair of glasses.) Anyone else?
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

United States
43 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentHunterJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aye you guys are a tough bunch.. but it's necessary. I wouldnt take the time to make these posts unless I was pretty convinced I had what I was claiming, so getting told otherwise and why, I genuinely find valuable. I REALLY appreciate any advice/mentoring I get. Even if it's tough. So thanks guys.

BUT... the second one I posted does have Clashy looking marks on the edge near United. But ever since I found that coin and considered the possibility of it being that mule clash, I've wondered what that diagonal whatever mess is. And it's kinda intriguing that it fits EXACTLY where the roof portion of the Memorial is on the Overlay pic... I think so anyway.

But a also, I wonder what the line and side of memorial thing is on the first coin in the post is. Cuz I'm like 95% sure it's the side of the Memorial. As always its hard to get on camera... Oh yeah, and if I remember correctly, didn't the 99 mule get clashed twice? At different angles? ? Anyway, thanks again guys.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1948 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see no evidence of the 1999 mule clash on this specimen.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Grelko to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Try placing something under the side of the coin (I normally use 1-3 cents) to lift it up at a angle, then take a couple pictures. Sometimes I need to do that, to be able to show a clash better when I take pictures with an Ipad.

All I see on your coin right now, is a few bumps near the rim at UNIT of United (especially under the N), in bays 4,7,8, below the M in America and going through CE of Cent. Not enough to make out what it is though.

Valued Member
United States
474 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  2:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RW1010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have one similar to yours I think. I'm trying to see if anything matches here. Can you post pics of your other example? Thanks

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46595 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A mule strike is a wrong obverse or reverse design denomination combo on a coin. Such as:

These are usually mint assisted errors. Yours is a normal coin with some color seen on one part of the coin and a lot of imagination. Even a doubled struck coin that has rotation will show part of the first and the second strike as stronger:

Note that this is seen on both sides of the coin.

These are rotated in the collar strikes. Sometimes there are flip over in the collar strikes as well:

Sometimes double strike can be one in the collar and one out of the collar:

But you will see the devices on certain areas of the strike. Your coin is not showing any of this.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 445Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05