Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1993 P LMC, Extra Material On Rev.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 410Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
123 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  12:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hope everyone has been well, been so busy with work I haven't had much time for coin hunting lately.. but was looking through some bankroll pennies and came across this. Initially I thought it was a lam bubble but when I poked it with a toothpick, it remained solid. So, figured I would make my first post in months and get some opinions. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
United States
2161 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  1:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice die chip!
Valued Member
United States
103 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CentSearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Nice chip!
Centsearcher.
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! Will look into more info for Die Chips.
Pillar of the Community
United States
505 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHI to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice chip, I've haven't seen that location for a chip before.
Best Find - 1976 D WQ DDO-001 http://goccf.com/t/382777

Interesting find - 1947 S over inverted S http://goccf.com/t/368005
Pillar of the Community
United States
2161 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well die chip is not in the CCF glossary, but here.
http://www.error-ref.com/?s=die+chip
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46747 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On the '3' on the obverse, that is DDD. (Deteriorated Die Doubling)These will be seen on the outside devices in the direction towards the closest rim. Date to the right. Liberty to the left and motto towards the tops of the devices:
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree coop.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2478 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  5:22 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die chips are not actually "extra" metal on a coin. It's a normal strike that has metal flow into the hole (die chip) where metal is missing from the die. No matter how large a die chip is, the coin's weight will not be different from the weight of the planchet.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Pillar of the Community
United States
1812 Posts
 Posted 09/26/2020  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Classic die chip--and without the sodium.
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  02:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What's that mean ijn1944?
Valued Member
United States
79 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  02:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SensibleSal66 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one, ty coop for the ...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1685 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  07:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ijn1944 means potato chips have sodium (salt) but your die chip doesn't,
so your coin is much more healthy for you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
46747 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Also there is no such thing as extra metal. The planchet only has one amount to distribute on a coin. Extra metal would indicate that something was struck onto the coin that was not part of the original planchet. So a mintmark/die crack/die chip/die break/rim cud/die cud will all be the same weight after the strike that the planchet had before the strike. So a die chip is not extra metal. The void on the die was filled in with the planchet, so it is not extra metal.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 09/27/2020  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hermz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks that one went right over my head haha

And makes sense coop, thank you for the info.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 410Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05