Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Toned ASE—this One May Have Gotten Past PCGS

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 870Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know ASE's can tone in interesting colors, but the pastels on this one caught my eye. It's super cool if it's real, all the way down to the shower of "pixie dust" Ms. Liberty is scattering down the side of the obverse. I dunno about 116X the market value cool, but it's definitely the kind of coin that toner lovers will pay a big premium for.

But am I the only one who thinks that target toning on the reverse pretty much screams AT? Looks to me like someone applied heat. Not sure what made PCGS pass this one.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
52174 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just a stupid price for a modern piece of junk that fakers love to experiment with.
Edited by Coinfrog
10/28/2020 10:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7830 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Check GrapeCollects's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GrapeCollects to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The price is too high but I think the toning is legit.
My best finds: 1999-WAM:http://goccf.com/t/332161 1988-RDV-6:http://goccf.com/t/335954#2873459 1986-Off-center: http://goccf.com/t/335952
1999 WAM #2:http://goccf.com/t/338710&whichpage=1
1981 Double Struck In Collar: http://goccf.com/t/350199&whichpage=1
ANA id: 3194067
My Type Set: https://www.NGCcoin.com/registry/co...sets/236574/
If you want to buy something or sell something or just talk, shoot me a PM!
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  11:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ASE's are really beautiful coins, but I like coins that were meant to be circulated—preferably more than 100 years ago.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36490 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  04:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my untrained eye,that looks like AT= artificial toning.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4892 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  07:35 am  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love toned ASE's BUT this one looks like it had a fight with a blowtorch....and lost
Pillar of the Community
United States
949 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  07:40 am  Show Profile   Check omxfl's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add omxfl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lord of the Rings

And yes, this looks like a blowtorch to me too.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9429 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have to look at it this way, if it weren't for people sending modern bullion coins for grading the cost to grade worthy classic coins would likely skyrocket. I'll bet bullion keeps the lights on...

1883-O Nut
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14321 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A little ridiculous for PCGS to pass this thru . I'm leaning towards AT .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2020  1:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave700x LOL. I would definitely get a 1995W or last year's 2019S reverse proofs slabbed. Probably also a truly spectacular toner, to lend weight to the authenticity of the toning. I know people who specifically collect ASE toners, and the premiums really are huge.

Otherwise, I really don't get why anyone does it, but yeah, let's keep that REALLY quiet.
Edited by twslisa
10/29/2020 1:30 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10715 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  12:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stupid price for almost any modern.

Oh wait... Coinfrog already said that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
575 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toning has the appearance of AT to me as well, but the spots by the sun
make me think it's legit. I have no idea how that toning was created naturally.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1222 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its had 25 years. possible it's legit toning from poor storage, or a set up to tone situation, but the time is there for it to have happened naturally.

my issue with it really is the sellers other items have outlandish toning also, which has me at "suspect" for everything as artificial regardless of the age, especially that rainbow toned 1883 cent.

Also, if you check that listing for the 1883 cent it becomes obvious the seller is enhancing the pictures too. there's no picture of it on the cert lookup,

But its like a $50 coin tops, so his asking price means he's less than scrupulous to begin with....

http://americansilvereaglecoinsms.i...n-fl3-01.php

No history of it for sale on PCGS so no way to follow the history beyond that website I linked that shows it and says they got it in 2015.
only says
"Current PCGS Registry Sets:
This cert is currently in a user's private Set Registry Inventory"

it's not worth $5000. not by a long shot.

Edited by Big-Kingdom
11/02/2020 1:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
it's not worth $5000. not by a long shot.

The morgans look legit. Some stores focus in on toners because they know people pay a premium for the colors (they're asking for pretty hefty premiums, but maybe someone has that kind of money to burn). That said, the bright yellow on the 1883 cent (also shows up on the raw photo) looks 'off" to me. Could just be inexperience—I haven't seen that color on Indian Head cents; doesn't mean it never happens.

If you want to see wild colors, check out the Jhon E Cash site..

Some toners look pretty mangy head-on, but angle them against the light and they just light up. PCGS, Heritage, and some other sites like to do some fancy photographic trick that captures and shows the color (the way they flatten it out looks kind of fake to me, but the colors they show are actually there).
Pillar of the Community
United States
9429 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you want to see wild colors, check out the Jhon E Cash site..

That is a great site with a lot of good information regarding toned Morgan dollars. I've had it bookmarked for quite a while now.

Do check out the Simpson/ Sunnywood collection as well. https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/do...allery/71635
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
620 Posts
 Posted 11/02/2020  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add twslisa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another thing about this coin that doesn't seem right. The smooth, gradual transitions of the toning on the obverse is usually from storage against a surface (like an envelope) that has sulfur or something similar in it, right? But the "target toning" on the reverse is more like you'd see if it's been in an album or maybe the end of a pre-formed coin roll (do they even put ASE's in coin rolls?). How would this coin have to have been stored for it to tone naturally like this?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 870Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05