Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884-S Morgan Dollar Grading Skills Needed - First Coin I Sent To NGC

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,302Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
1456 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would also have to say UNC Details based on the last set of photos
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CapeCoralCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx for your opinions, so we agree it's Uncirculated.

I was just comparing the obverse to some of my ms63 or 64 straight graded coins and I still don't really see any significant difference. but maybe my 5x magnifier isn't enough for judgement.

I'm a beginner at grading so this is just my view.

and... Polished in my understanding is different than cleaned, at least that's what the NGC grading info tells!?

Any other opinions from the professionals here?

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17623 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-61
Pillar of the Community
United States
2549 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  10:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, the updated photos are better. Now I'd say Unc details, polished. Polishing is a form of abrasive cleaning.
Valued Member
Australia
310 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echidna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5641 Posts
 Posted 10/30/2020  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1884-S Morgan dollars, RARELY IF EVER, get slabbed "Unc" by any of the major grading services.

You see them all day long in XF and AU grades. Many of those have been cleaned (or conserved) too!

An AU coin can be had for a couple of hundred bucks and up.. Any true UNC 60 or up slabbed 1884-S coin will set you back serious bucks..... 7k$ and up!

True Unc coins are tough!

Your coin is most likely AU 53 to 55'ish in my opinion with the better pics. It is not "Unc".
Edited by westernsky
10/30/2020 10:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3630 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
343 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  08:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
9429 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Likely AU details based on the new images.
1883-O Nut
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU Details cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
1456 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at this again. I'm in the fence between AU/UNC Details. Still can't get a good feel for the surfaces based on the pics so I'm tapping out.

Pillar of the Community
United States
9447 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sure wish the obverse photo was a little better as it can mean the difference between AU and UNC. based on the photos provided the obverse looks like it was cleaned. I cant see any circulation markers on the reverse. I would say UNC details
United States
28 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CapeCoralCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dear All, thank you so much for your input. I know it's tough to grade just by pictures (which I had to cut down due to the 300kb size restrictions).

I really appreciate your help on the grading, so it's time to reveal the true NGC grade - They graded it AU Details, cleaned.

To me that is totally nonsense, as there are exact zero circulation markers anywhere on the coin. If I take my ANA grading Standards book, this is definitely Uncirculated.

As I said I'm relatively new to the grading stuff, but comparing my coin to other graded coins, this should be Unc (Details)

Then cleaning is very light on the Obv, and I've seen worse cleaned coins in MS63 holders.

I guess it's because the graders know this is a 5 figure coin in its straight grade so they tend more to a Details grading than on a common date. Could this be the case? (wouldn't make sense)

Does anybody have an idea on how to dispute this specific grading at NGC?

I own a AU58 1884s by NGC which looks way worse by comparison (circulation signs, as well as scratches and nicks) - Especially the hairlines and feathers are very well defined on the discussed coin IMO.

but of course I could be wrong...
Pillar of the Community
United States
1456 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  4:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Circled is the area in question for me, but can't judge well from this pic. After pulling it up in my computer, it's certainly shows enough light scratches and tics to reasonably assume it saw some light circulation.

The big problem, to me, between AU and UNC details, especially in a case like this where it very obviously looks polished, is you don't have much original surfaces on the coin. If you've polished a coin, even lightly it's no longer Uncirculated. Take a MS66 and polish it and it should be automatic AU Details. IMO.

Edit: I think they're call was fair, but you can always dispute it with them. This would involve sending it back and paying them to reevaluate. Just need to contact CS. I personally wouldn't spend the time and money on that though.
Edited by Ty2020b
10/31/2020 4:17 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
9447 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i was having a hard time between AU and UNC. I agree with Ty2020b the area noted appears to have been polished and as soon as I saw the photo thats the first thing that jumped out at me. whatever caused it, the surfaces do not appear to be original. I agree with NGC
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 40 / Views: 1,302Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05