Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Is Next For The Quarters?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 892Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
708 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  4:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The last quarter of the program and only quarter for next year releases in just over 3 months on Feb 1st 2021.

After that what happens.

I hope they go back to a single design.

The ATB Quarters I will collect them but they did not draw me in as much as the State Quarters did.

Part of it was because since 1999 we have had 110 or so different quarter designs and after awhile it just gets a little much.

If the next quarters are multi designs like they have been since 1999 I do not think I will collect them.

I may collect one here and there if I like the design enough but I do not think I will got for a full set.
Valued Member
United States
464 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MOS0239 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and after awhile it just gets a little much.

You think? After awhile started years ago! The mint is on track to have a coin for everyday of the week, like the post office and stamps!!
Pillar of the Community
708 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  6:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
like the post office and stamps!!

The stamps I do not mind since they have quite a few every year that I like so I buy extra just to keep.

My only complaint about them is that it seems to me that at least half if not more of the designs released in any given year is in some way the flag.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17604 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  6:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mint can have the tiniest of excuses for issuing a new series of reverses into circulation. Not a new trend.
Roman coins are a bit like that, with their many personifications and commemorations. Keeps the coinage interesting and before the Public.
Also increases the possibility of kids acquiring an interest in coins, all collected at face value. Therein may be your new generation of numistmastists. That's how I started out into coins as a kid.

Provided that they are all struck for circulation.

I must admit: Although I have a rather fancy collection of significant value, I still collect new designs of coins out of my pocket change. Just for fun.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though I am not American, I do have a complete collection of State Quarters plus a few extras, all for the cost of face value. The Canadian Mint started the idea; the U.S. and Australian Mints followed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10715 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CelticKnot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We are going back to a single design after the Tuskegee quarter. So, two quarters in 2021, then 1 quarter for the foreseeable future (although there are rumors of a 10-year program honoring important women figures from each state and territory...).

The obverse will return to John Flanagan's design of George Washington that was found on quarters from 1932-1998. The reverse will be a rendition of Washington crossing the Delaware.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
511 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cdncoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When the State Quarters came out, I thought it was neat idea and collected them. When the ATB Quarters came out I thought it was overplayed, but still collected them. When the Innovation dollars were announced, I said "forget it". Let's go back to a simpler time, when there was only one quarter design.
Learn More...
United States
92320 Posts
 Posted 11/21/2020  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The legislation gave the Mint the option to do a second round of the ATB and they let the option expire. As said above, the legislation dictates that when the program ends the new permanent reverse is to portray Washington crossing the Delaware. I am not sure if that new reverse will be issued along with Tuskegee in 2021 or on its own in 2022.
Valued Member
United States
146 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  01:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just finished putting 175 quarters into air tite holders, and that only covered one of each date and mint mark from 1965 to 2009. On top of that is another 112 circulation issues for the latest series mercifully coming to an end with one issue in 2021. That is a total of 287 coins to cover the circulation issues since the dawn of the clad era. No proofs, no silver, no West Point, no 2012 to date San Francisco coins. No PC designs either please. A rest is long overdue.
Edited by Erscolo
11/22/2020 01:13 am
Pillar of the Community
Germany
590 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  02:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add redlock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A rest is long overdue.

Agreed
Pillar of the Community
708 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  02:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
When the Innovation dollars were announced, I said "forget it".

I am the same way.

I am collecting the large Ikes and the susan b anthony and Presidential dollars but I have no interest in the sacagawea or innovation dollars.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4786 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Mint has announced that a quarter featuring a Washington's Crossing the Delaware theme will be released in 2021 after the conclusion of the ATB run. So, we should see at least two designs in 2021.

A wide-ranging bill regarding the designs used on the quarter was introduced back in 2019 and subsequently passed by the House; it is currently with the Senate for possible authorization.

The bill would provide for:

- 2022-2025: Quarters that feature a reverse design "emblematic of the accomplishments and contributions of one prominent woman of the United States, and may include contributions to the United States in a wide spectrum of accomplishments and fields, including but not limited to suffrage, civil rights, abolition, government, humanities, science, space, and arts, and should honor women from ethnically, racially, and geographically diverse backgrounds." Up to five new designs could be issued each year of the four-year program.

- 2026: Up to five Quarters (and possibly a dollar coin) that commemorate the US' 250th anniversary.

- 2027-2030: Up to five new Quarters with a sports theme.

There's a bunch more in the bill, but those are the quarter highlights.

It's unclear at the moment if the Senate will consider the bill when it holds its three-week December session. If it doesn't, the bill will have to be re-introduced in 2021 with the next Congress.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Pillar of the Community
United States
876 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ballyhoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I am extremely disheartened that for the first time in the history of The United States an eagle will no longer be engraved on the reverse of a coin meant for circulation. What we forget, even as collectors, is that these overlooked, tossed aside and taken for granted at times objects are our physical connection to the very ideals of our forefathers. A link to the past, if you will. All that remains, on every coin since 1792, is LIBERTY. How long before that very word is stricken, replaced with INCLUSIVE? A sad day for America.
ANA member
PAN Member
BCCS Member

There's no problem only solutions - the late, great John Lennon
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3475 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same answer as the other 12 times this has been asked, the mint will follow the law. Look it up...

After conclusion of the 1st cycle of the ATB Quarters, the secretary of the treasury could have ordered a second round. He didn't. So per the law it goes back to the head of Washington and an design showing Washington crossing the Delaware.

Any other changes are purely speculative, the mint has suggested things for which legislation wasn't even introduced. Legislation has been introduced with near zero chance of passage. Etc.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
962 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  1:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree Ballyhoo
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  1:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I miss the "normal" quarter... getting tired of the gimmicks... as a stamp collector, I can tell you that MANY US collectors have stopped collecting them... some were purists who hate self-stick stamps, some can't stand the subjects, some think the printing formats/methods are simply gimmicks.

K.I.S.S. sometimes works wonders to reset collectors' brains!
Pillar of the Community
708 Posts
 Posted 11/22/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ckrakowski to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
A wide-ranging bill regarding the designs used on the quarter was introduced back in 2019 and subsequently passed by the House; it is currently with the Senate for possible authorization.

Quote:
It's unclear at the moment if the Senate will consider the bill when it holds its three-week December session.

Never going to happen with moscow in charge. He has actually said he likes not bringing up any bill that the dems pass in the house.

He also has said he likes the nickname grim reaper since he kills all the dems bills.

Just look at what he has done with the heros act the dems passed back in may.

This is the main reason the dems will take the senate in Jan.

Quote:
some were purists who hate self-stick stamps

Not all self stick are bad. I like quite a few of them.

Quote:
K.I.S.S.

? Can you explain to me what this means.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 34 / Views: 892Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05