Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1937-D 5c Buffalo Nickel 3 Legs

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 642Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
7711 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  9:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
$480. My first 3-legger is raw but I think it looks real to me in spite of the pictures which look blurry when blown up. The main concern is the rear hind leg which should show roughness but I'm not an expert. Thoughts on authenticity and grade? Thanks!

Edited by numismatic student
11/26/2020 9:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9294 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  9:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope that E PLURIBUS UNUM is not real close to touching the back of the Buffalo.
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1785 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty tough to tell from these pics. But I would lean toward authentic. I do see signs of deterioration on the hind leg, along with the back of the neck on the obverse. Possible hints of the "stream" there as well below the belly. Tentative XF-45 minimum, possibly low AU with in hand pics.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1734 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We will need sharper photos to be sure. Closeups of the following markers are vital:
Obverse: the third feather
Reverse: EPU and the gap between EPU and the buffalo's back
Reverse: the area beneath the buffalo's belly, to the ground
Reverse: the buffalo's beard

From the pics you posted, I think I see the third feather completely detached from the Indian's head and I think the right tip of the buffalo's beard is lower than the left tip. These are key markers.

My instinct is that this looks genuine, but better pics definitely will be needed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5764 Posts
 Posted 11/26/2020  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
99% looks like the real deal!

Better pictures should confirm!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53769 Posts
 Posted 11/27/2020  10:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, to blurry to grade accurately.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7711 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Howdy! This one, after much anticipation, finally arrived. I think it has the markers, but I am not an expert in this issue. Would appreciate your thoughts on grade and authenticity.

The coin in hand looks much more lustrous, especially in the reverse, but I am having a hard time capturing it. The luster shows better in the obverse pictures, but is much better in hand. Thanks in advance!

Edited by numismatic student
12/03/2020 4:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9294 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TNG to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks good to me - Congrats!
My favorite album!
Image hosting is provided by CCF. Thank you for your generosity!
World's Fair Exposition Medals and Tickets
http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...p?album=2020
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
53769 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, looks good. I'll say EF-40. Good price.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5764 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Real deal! XF 45 to AU 50 to these old eyes!

Nice coin at a nice price!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1734 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Fantastic coin, my friend. All markers are spot on. You snagged this at a high VF price. The coin clearly is on the EF/AU bubble, and the final grade may come down to eye appeal. There are relatively few significant contact marks. The toning is natural. The only real concern would be the surface crud on the reverse, from 2:00 through 5:00. If my EF-48 was already an accepted grade, this coin would be spot on.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1785 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2020  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm holding it to XF-45, I think the surfaces will hold it back from AU. Nice example!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2759 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Slider23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pick up. XF45
Pillar of the Community
United States
7711 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for sharing our thoughts!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7711 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismatic student to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
of course that should say "sharing your thoughts."
Pillar of the Community
United States
2728 Posts
 Posted 12/05/2020  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the acquisition—nice coin!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 642Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05