Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Kind Of Collector Are You?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,188Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
2175 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like to find coins priced below market value. That means I do a lot more hunting than buying. I'll buy almost anything that meets that criteria but am working on a 7070 type set, 2 Cent's, & 3 CN. I flip whatever I find that doesn't fit one of those sets.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4110 Posts
 Posted 12/04/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've lost interest in g/s bullion in the last few years and am still plugging along with my metal detecting hoard.
I'm on my second three ring binder full of silver halves going back to Barbers, Walkers, many IH's and more than 200 other old silver coins I've dug and oh yeah, Morgan and Peace, since 2010. Added an 1899 Canadian dime this week, I researched a newer walking park using old aerial maps online and discovered an old building that was gone before 1970. I love that stuff.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
United States
48 Posts
 Posted 12/13/2020  1:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ericalynn13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm an Ike hoarder Someday I may move from hobby hoarder into true collector **laughter** but I'm having fun just as I am. I also really enjoy silver mint sets and the odd found Susan B.

For years I wanted to like modern quarters, collected the 50 State Quarters putting them on the map, etc then realized nope!! Popped them all out and put them in my credit unions coinstar. Hahaha
Edited by ericalynn13
12/13/2020 1:38 pm
Learn More...
United States
94382 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm an Ike hoarder
No shame in that. Absolutely none at all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
725 Posts
 Posted 12/14/2020  9:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrPink2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
lifelong coin enthusiast, but a picky & minimalist collector. I like the run of US coins from colonial thru art deco periods; I like them all but don't necessarily want collections of them all, so I have a 7070 album. g/s bullion & junk silver stacker, building a Lincoln Wheat cent set & silver eagle set. and am a Morgan $ VAM fan.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2722 Posts
 Posted 12/15/2020  04:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am a world coin collecting addict, but I only want one of each coin, that is from each country, each denomination, each year and each mint. I don't collect hoards of the same coin and I avoid coins not made for circulation, although a few of those have snuck into my collection. Of course a OFEC set, is just part of that too.
I enjoy the friendships I have made while building my collection and love trading with fellow collectors.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 15,000 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
United States
171 Posts
 Posted 12/16/2020  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am mostly a Morgan dollar collector. I am working on making a complete Morgan collection by date. I also have many, many coins, both US and world, in a large album.
Valued Member
United States
247 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2020  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RES to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I basically collect everything that I can find. I want to start a US Type collection though.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1721 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2020  7:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add samsnate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm like fistful in regards to I've basically stopped collecting gold and silver bullion. As for coin collecting my collection is strictly Canadian coins. One Coin per year, each denomination from 1858 to date. It's a slow moving process but I enjoy when I get to dabble. 1953 to date I look for MS, 1919-52 in XF-AU and everything before 1919 I'm trying to get in at least F-VF. I probably will never complete this task but that doesn't stop me from trying to put my set together. My daughter (13) has slowly been showing interest so perhaps she may be the one to take it through the finish line.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2020  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Snobro110 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Any US coins. Mainly pennies (anything to do with them) though.
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2020  9:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I collect Guldens (from The Netherlands), 20 Franc French gold coins, and a couple of months ago started a 19th Century US Type Set.
Edited by NumisEd
12/27/2020 9:08 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
566 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  10:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add one_fine_dime to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Like many collectors from the US, I collected mainly circulation finds as a kid. Wheat pennies were the more commonly found classic coins in the early 80s, when I was most into coin collecting back then.

Got back into it in early 2000s focusing on G/S modern commemoratives.

Finally started gravitating to classic US coinage again maybe 5
years ago, with some dabbling in Walking Liberty Halfs and Standing Liberty quarters and other generally low grade classic coinage.

Took a step back, read a LOT and decided to focus on one series that really resonated with me aesthetically: Mercury dimes!

Now mainly just interested in branch mint mercs from the teens and twenties in AU or thereabouts with original surfaces, natural toning, good strikes, etc. This criteria provides quite a challenge as many Denver and Frisco issues are just rare enough to take sufficient time to find really nice original specimens. I usually pick up less than a handful of coins per year.
My avatar is from the reverse of the US 1987 Constitution Silver Dollar and features 13 diverse people intended to represent the wide cultural and social spectrum of the United States.
>>> E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One) - the de facto motto of the United States <<<
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2501 Posts
 Posted 12/29/2020  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am an OFEC** typesetter.
** C= Culture and / or Century, covering the whole of numismatics.

this

my OFEC started following numista's "rules" but changed slightly. now at 300 it has gone from 300 (numista criteria) to a lowly 221...

but that is because I have multiple entries for entities such as Japan, 1 for feudal, 1 for pre WWII and 1 for post WWII (same for Germany and a few others).

I could likely build a "true" OFEC of 300 but I choose not to include fantasy issues such as the "British Antarctic Territory"

Other than my OFEC 300 I am heavily invested in pre 1858 Canadian Colonial Tokens
Coin Collecting... "I'm in it for the money"
Valued Member
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2021  05:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PNWType to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a type collector... I guess that's in my name

Dansco 7070 (US Type)
Custom Dansco 7070
Dansco 7094 (Classic US Commemorative Type)
Dansco 7210 (Canada Type)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1699 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have things I collect specifically but will take any world coin I find (seems to not be an uncommon approach).
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,188Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05