Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Me Understand This Canada One Cent Error

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,017Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
30971 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  12:44 pm Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
How could the following coin be explained as a genuine mint error? All I have are the images from the eBay listing.

Show your appreciation for the Coin Community Family (click here)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4263 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To my novice eye and experience that doesn't jive with something that would or could happen during minting. I'm suggesting it's something post minting process. PMD.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Canada
792 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  3:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
struck through an elliptical planchet or split planchet? the pictures make it hard to tell what's going on with the reverse. we need an expert!
Learn More...
Canada
9461 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  3:45 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Legit enough that I was considering putting a bid in on it...
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1734 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOLOL
Pillar of the Community
Canada
792 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add robmck1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so legit or not legit?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1734 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
legit
Learn More...
United States
30971 Posts
 Posted 01/09/2021  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
274636151110 bid up to $35 so far

edit: up to $82 with about 11 hours left
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47887 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  10:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it was struck over the collar, thus making the strike on the selected areas. Probably the collar was broken during the process. Note the strong arcs. The coin is probably bent. The thickness of the collar prevented the strike on the reverse central area but reached the reverse die slightly.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
30971 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  11:50 am  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...but how can most of the coin be minted on one side, and just a little on the other side? I'm having trouble envisioning this.

Note the strike itself is not off center.
Learn More...
United States
30971 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:05 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Mind you, the images shown are the obverse and reverse of a single coin.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1019 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two blank planchets entered the chamber together, the top one slightly off-center from the bottom one?

That would explain the weakness on the obverse where the two coins didnt overlap
Edited by johnnysprawl
01/13/2021 12:18 pm
Learn More...
United States
30971 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
we need an expert!
I emailed Mike Byers, and he says it is a legitimate mint error.

I still don't understand it, but if Mike says it is real, then it probably is.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1734 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
you should listen to others as well. Stop reporting things you do not know or understand.
Learn More...
United States
30971 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are talking to me, I didn't report it. I'm just trying to understand how it could come into being at the mint.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
772 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2021  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Check JohnWayne007's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add JohnWayne007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks legit, but it's definitely not from the 1960s. I am about 99.9% sure it is either 1980 or 1981.

That effigy and legend is not found on any 1960's Canadian small cents.

These are the effigies and legends used from 1965 to 1981

Aggressively searching Canadian Small Cents on a daily basis since 2018.

Some of my Discoveries.
1941 George VI 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/367977
1976 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDO http://goccf.com/t/373627
1970 Queen Elizabeth II 1 Cent DDR http://goccf.com/t/364301
1989 Belize 25 Cent's with a Doubled Die Reverse http://goccf.com/t/362747
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,017Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05